Aussies lost let's take the easy option and point the finger at the bowlers

Aussies lost let's take the easy option and point the finger at the bowlers

Blaming Aussie bowlers is the easy option
Matt Byrnes

Blaming Australia’s bowlers for the opening Test loss to South Africa would be taking the easy option.

It would also be an opinion expressed by someone extremely naive or with very little knowledge of Test match cricket.

Sure, Australia’s bowlers failed to obtain the required 20 wickets and the team subsequently lost the Test mach by six wickets.

The second-innings bowing effort when Australia could only manage to dismiss four South African batsmen as the Proteas stormed to a 4-414 and a morale-boosting victory was below-par.

However, it was not the sole reason Australia lost the match.
Australia's batsmen should wear just as much of the blame and shame as the bowling contingent.

After gaining a first-innings lead of almost 100 runs, Australia should have put the match to bed in its second innings.

Put simply, Australia should have batted South Africa out of the match.
Australia's batsmen should have produced a concerted batting effort and taken the lead well past 500 to ensure South Africa could not possibly win the match.

The only possible results should have been a draw or an Australian victory.
But, Australia's batsmen failed to seize the initiative and at one point it appeared the team may have even been bowled out for less than 200.

Some late wagging of the tale – and a virtuoso innings for cavalier wicketkeeper Brad Haddin – saved Australia and South Africa required a near-record run-chase to win the match.

South Africa should have needed a world-record total to win the match.
Instead South Africa was left with aple time – and resources – to successfully chase down 414 on an unbelievably timid fifth day WACA pitch.

Throughout both innings of the match Australia's batsmen were guilty of trowing their wickets away at a crucial time.

Vice-captain Michael Clarke, all-rounder Andrew Symonds and Haddin all made starts in both innings before falling to questionable shots.

Even Haddin, the hero of the second innings, was guilty of this when he tried to belt spinner Paul Harris out of the park to bring up his century.

Sure, Haddin had just smacked two magnificent sixes and a cracking four but it was then he should have exercised restraint and reined in his stroke-play to ensure he made a century.

There’s nothing wrong with being dismissed by a great delivery but Clarke, Symonds and Haddin got themselves out at critical moments with poor shots.

On a flat pitch offering little assistance to bowlers, Australia’s batsmen should have dug in and worked the lead past 500.

Instead, after losing a few quick wickets, Australia somehow got arrogant and tried to blast up a quick total and throw the ball over to the bowlers – literally.

If Australia started celebrating once the lead go past 400 then it was premature and ridiculous in the extreme.

Australia’s bowling attack no longer strikes fear into opposition teams and it must now toil for long periods to take wickets. Champion bowlers Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath aren’t around anymore to get Australia out of jail.

Australia’s bowling attack is inexperienced and largely untried at Test level – especially when competing against the second-best team in the world.
This was even more reason why Australia should have made a greater effort to protect the bowlers by racking up a massive lead.

At no stage did the pitch look like deteriorating enough to trouble the team batting last and wickets were always going to be hard to come by.

Australia would have been for better off batting longer instead of throwing wickets away and then chucking the bowlers to the wolves.[/QUOTE]

This was from a friend of mine who allowed me to post this up on here.

Re: Aussies lost let's take the easy option and point the finger at the bowlers

I just hate the way that they drop Krejza after one bad match, and bring in someone who's just as inexperienced, they have to show some faith in the kid.

breeno;299283 said:
I just hate the way that they drop Krejza after one bad match, and bring in someone who's just as inexperienced, they have to show some faith in the kid.

he's like 25 or something I dont think he's a kid but I know where your going.

maybe hes a kid to you are you like 50 =O

Im 16. But you get my point.

breeno;299305 said:
Im 16. But you get my point.
Breeno, It doesn't really matter what age our team is. We have lost a lot of depth which makes Australia look like an ordinary team.

There are some people who point the finger at the bowlers, when really it was the conditions of the pitch, a couple of dodgey cricket balls, the confidence of the players, and how much experience they have.

You might be 16 mate, but you don't really know a lot about what is going on with the Australian cricket team.

In the last 7 matches , aus have taken all 20 wickets only twice.
From this we can assume that aus bowlers are getting worse...

schwab2clarkson;299335 said:
Breeno, It doesn't really matter what age our team is. We have lost a lot of depth which makes Australia look like an ordinary team.

There are some people who point the finger at the bowlers, when really it was the conditions of the pitch, a couple of dodgey cricket balls, the confidence of the players, and how much experience they have.

You might be 16 mate, but you don't really know a lot about what is going on with the Australian cricket team.

I find that very offensive and ignorant as you havn't even attempted to understand what I said in the earlier post in this thread.

I also find it funny how 99% of the people on this forum disagree with whatever you say.

I admit the team are inexperienced, but you should be expected to defend 414, against a team that is less experienced.

Respect someone elses opinion and next time before you take a shot at someone read what they have actually written, it disgusts me.

S2C, use a link to the website that the article was originally posted on for next time. You are not supposed to post full articles on here.

As a counter to what the OP posted, here is what Terry Jenner had to say on the matter (as well as on the spin problem).

After the South Africa defeat, is the focus on Australia's bowling attack valid?

"The focus on the bowling is not overplayed. Brett Lee was way below his best, Peter Siddle appears to be just short of the standard while Jason Krejza tries to get a wicket every ball and at international level you can't afford to do that.

"Lee has struggled for the best part of four months now. It is hard to say that because he has carried the Australian bowlers for the last year since the retirement of Glenn McGrath and Shane Warne.

Full article at BBC

------------

Also, in reference to my fellow admin, this is how you should present articles/information from other sites (even if you have their express permission). So, it's a quote from the opening paragraph or two (in QUOTE TAGS) and then a link to the full article.

It's also good form to either include a brief introduction or better still your thoughts and interpretations.

------------

mas cambios;299411 said:
As a counter to what the OP posted, here is what Terry Jenner had to say on the matter (as well as on the spin problem).

Full article at BBC

------------

Also, in reference to my fellow admin, this is how you should present articles/information from other sites (even if you have their express permission). So, it's a quote from the opening paragraph or two (in QUOTE TAGS) and then a link to the full article.

It's also good form to either include a brief introduction or better still your thoughts and interpretations.

------------
I tried putting it as a quote and then linking it. Sadly it wouldn't work for me.

breeno;299353 said:
I find that very offensive and ignorant as you havn't even attempted to understand what I said in the earlier post in this thread.

I also find it funny how 99% of the people on this forum disagree with whatever you say.

I admit the team are inexperienced, but you should be expected to defend 414, against a team that is less experienced.

Respect someone elses opinion and next time before you take a shot at someone read what they have actually written, it disgusts me.
What you had posted was the most stupidest statement I had ever read. You want respect, you have to earn it first. Respect is earnt.

Reading that article that second sentence really proves my point.... :rolleyes:

Ljp86;299373 said:
S2C, use a link to the website that the article was originally posted on for next time. You are not supposed to post full articles on here.
:rolleyes:
I had tried to do that but it wouldn't let me...:mad:

It was posted as a post up on another forum which isn't allowed to be linked.... :rolleyes:

Totally disagree with the opening post. If your bowling attack can't defend 414 runs in the last innings of a test match then they must come under some scrutiny.

To blame the loss on, amongst other things, "a couple of dodgey cricket balls" is a complete cop out.

And too be that harsh on breeno when as breeno said 99% of the people on this forum disagree with whatever you say is completely uncalled for.

schwab2clarkson;299524 said:
What you had posted was the most stupidest statement I had ever read. You want respect, you have to earn it first. Respect is earnt.

You don't respect what other people have to say and you really need to learn that. I may be 16 but I have more respect and manners than you will ever have.

Don't take the high and mighty attitude with me just becuase I am young.

schwab2clarkson;299335 said:

Pull your head in and stop posting rude and condescending rubbish, especially when you know SWFA about Cricket yourself.

Respect is earnt but you shouldn't disregard someone else's opinion because they are of a young age.

schwab2clarkson;299526 said:
:rolleyes:
I had tried to do that but it wouldn't let me...:mad:

It was posted as a post up on another forum which isn't allowed to be linked.... :rolleyes:

You should have PM'd a mod if the link wouldn't work. Posting full articles without acknowlegding the author is plagiarism.

Respect does need to be earned, but it is also a two way thing and at the moment Breeno seems to be in far more credit than you. He views are just as valid as yours, regardless of whether he is 6, 16 or 60.

As for the second sentence proving your point, well does it? Let's take a look at it again:

It would also be an opinion expressed by someone extremely naive or with very little knowledge of Test match cricket.

No, it doesn't really prove anything apart from the fact that you and the writer share similar thoughts.

For what it is worth, here are my thoughts on it. Failing to defend 414 is largely down to the bowlers and the captain, simple as. To lose by 6 wickets with the run chase never really looking doubt points to a failure by the bowlers to create pressure and control the game.

Just to put it into context, to chase 400 in the 4th innings is a rare feat. That's why it's only be done 4 times in 1900 or tests. Generally, if you have 400 to defend you feel safe and in the knowledge that you should be favourites.

Sure, the batsman could have scored more runs but in the context of this game, would chasing 500 made a difference? Maybe, maybe not but we can only really deal in actual facts and not in what ifs.

A quick point on Ponting as captain, something I've said before and I'm guessing I'll say again and that is that when things go against him he often looks devoid of ideas. It's all too common to see him muttering to himself with arms folded when things are going against his team, not something you want to see (imo). Maybe his development tactically was hampered during the early years of his captaincy by having the luxury of being able to call on McGrath and Warne in times of need. Whatever the reason, he needs to address it.

Also, you make a comment about the pitch - was it not the same for both teams? Likewise the ball, same type for both teams, so they would have both been hampered/helped by those factors.

It proves that the person who blames the bowlers for the loss is naive.

The writer is talking about those who take the easy way out.

It also proves that there are a lot of aussie supporters who expect the aussies to win it and if they don't they also point the finger at the skipper or directly at the bowlers.

I have noticed this happening a fair bit. There are some calling the aussies arrogant when in fact it is the supporters who think that the aussies are going to win every bloody contest there is.

Let me point out a few facts here.

1. Ricky Ponting: With all the new players that have come into the team he has had to tudor them as well as being skipper.
2. Australia have lost their depth. There is no McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, Langer or Martyn in the team any more. Even if we had one of them still playing we would probably get a little closer but we would probably still lose.
3. Most young fans (under the age of 16) have only seen Australia winning everything. It is a good reality check for them as well as the team. They haven't lost games until the series against India. We easily beat NZ.
It looks like we are going to be out on our arses again against South Africa.

Well S2C, I don't have a clue why you had a go at me when I am one of the people who expected South Africa to win the first match, and I expect the series to be a South African win or draw.

We know Australia have lost their depth, but as many people have stated that isn't the point. A young and inexperienced side would be expected to defend a total of 413 runs, against an almost equally inexperienced side. That is the point people are trying to get across.

By the way I actually backed up Krejza and said that we need to stick with him in order to give him confidence and let him settle into the team.

Don't sterotype me as being a typical "16 year old", my age isn't of importance in this argument.

schwab2clarkson;299746 said:
It proves that the person who blames the bowlers for the loss is naive.

No it doesn't. It states it. It is a statement that is said with misleading authority, and it sucks in people like you who can't tell the difference.

The writer is talking about those who take the easy way out.

Blaming the pitch and the balls is a much easier way out than actually facing the fact that our bowlers were genuinely sub-standard, surely? As for blaming the batsmen, that's just being contrary for the sake of being contrary (and attention, a technique many hack journos use in order to keep a job).

It also proves that there are a lot of aussie supporters who expect the aussies to win it and if they don't they also point the finger at the skipper or directly at the bowlers.

I still don't get how blaming members of the team is making excuses. The team is out there playing. The team lost. Surely blaming those in the team that failed is being realistic? A blind monkey (evidently more perceptive than your good self) could have seen that our bowlers were going to struggle against SA. Lee is out of sorts. Clark is battling injury. Krejza is inexperienced. We were always in trouble in that department, and people knew that. It has proven to be correct, with our bowlers struggling to take 20 wickets a match. Shifting the blame to the batsmen is just as much making excuses as blaming the bowlers (I don't think either would be, as I said above, but still), except that it is less logical. Add to that the fact that you've also brought in the pitch and balls, which is the definition of making excuses, and you've got a really shitty argument.

I have noticed this happening a fair bit. There are some calling the aussies arrogant when in fact it is the supporters who think that the aussies are going to win every bloody contest there is.

Let me point out a few facts here.

1. Ricky Ponting: With all the new players that have come into the team he has had to tudor them as well as being skipper.
2. Australia have lost their depth. There is no McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, Langer or Martyn in the team any more. Even if we had one of them still playing we would probably get a little closer but we would probably still lose.
3. Most young fans (under the age of 16) have only seen Australia winning everything. It is a good reality check for them as well as the team. They haven't lost games until the series against India. We easily beat NZ.
It looks like we are going to be out on our arses again against South Africa.

1. Ricky Ponting: It's not his job to tutor his players, particularly the bowlers (how many young batsmen have come into the side recently?) His job is to perform with the bat, and make good decisions with regards to the captaincy. He's not doing that.

2. Australia have lost their depth. Exactly. That's what people are saying. We don't have McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist, Langer or Martyn. That's why we're not playing as well as we used to. That's what people are pissed off about.

3. Your point? Are you saying we should be happy losing? We want to go out and win every game we can. When we lose, we want to know why. It's the same for any team. New Zealand lost to Australia because their batsmen failed to perform. That is a fair comment. It has nothing to do with past form. The same is true for Australia against SA, except for us, it was our bowlers not performing.

Seriously, how this all ties into a cohesive argument about the bowlers not being to blame for our loss is beyond me. Nobody is saying that "our bowlers failed, but we're still the best team in the world". People are saying "our bowlers failed, which is why we might no longer be the best team in the world".

Back