George yes
hughes yes
khawaja yes
marsh yes
starc (yeah ok want to see more of him)
o'keefe (maybe, just maybe)
smith no
Cameron NO

I like the look of this Mark Cameron. I really do.The current crop of fast bowlers in the Australian team would want to be on the top of their game, with the likes of Ryan Harris and Mark Cameron bearing down on them.

White yes
Paine yes
Ferguson yes
George yes
hughes yes
khawaja yes
marsh yes
starc (yeah ok want to see more of him)
o'keefe (maybe, just maybe)
smith no
Cameron NO

What's wrong with Cameron? He has a FC average of 23 and was in the Aus A squad before he injured himself. Also, Smith is a lock, and always was. A 20 year old with 4 centuries in a season = Australia A, if not Australia. He's already in the ODI and T20I teams, and FC cricket is his best format. As for O'Keefe, he was the best Shield spinner last season.

Starc shouldn't be there IMO, he hasn't performed well enough to justify it. Should have gone for Harris, Cutting, someone along those lines.

Trent Copeland can feel a bit ripped off by Starc being in the squad... had a great season last year and is off to a flyer this time. Missing out to his junior in the state ranks would rankle.

Looked at it purely from an age perspective. Is it necessary to pick the team now. why not pick it once this round of SS games is done and those who are still contending can get in. People proving fitness needing cricket and so on.

Trent Copeland can feel a bit ripped off by Starc being in the squad... had a great season last year and is off to a flyer this time. Missing out to his junior in the state ranks would rankle.

"a bit ripped off" I would use rather stronger language Caesar. I wonder who is responsible for this selection as on figures it just is not possible-

STARC F/Class 10matches 25w at 35.36 Grade 2009/10 7matches 8w at 31.75

COPELAND F/C 7matches 45w at 18.89 " 17matches 67w at 12.28

Clearly someone on the NSW panel is pushing Starcs' barrow as Copeland has been made 12th man in the current shield game against Victoria and Starc is playing. I have little faith in the Aust. selection panel(improved with Chappel) and even less with NSW which has always favoured players from certain clubs with which selectors are associated.(Brian Taber take a bow)

I am willing to take bets from anybody interested that Trent Copeland will prove himself to be an outstanding talent whose performances will always outperform Mitchell Starcs. Ask some of the 67 Sydney grade bats for their opinion?

I'm inclined to give the NSW selectors a bit of a break over the current Shield game, since IMO the national selectors left them with little choice on who to play after selecting Starc and Cameron in the A team. Overall though, it's a serious issue.

Starc is a great talent for a guy who's just turned 20, but the fact he's getting preferential treatment in unlimited overs cricket to Copeland just isn't warranted. It's absurd that arguably the country's form first class bowler of the last 12 months can't even get a gig for his state.

So if Hilditch and his mob it must be right? Sorry cant agree with that and feel the opposite is the case. If I was God I would simply appoint a selector from each state who would appoint a chairman with a deciding vote. Simplistic yes. Good.

The current situation over Starc/Copeland is a situation where obviously someone in NSW Cricket has pushed Starcs ability before performance. There is simply no other explanation for this situation. In fact who is Mithcell Starc??? How has he got to play for Aust A??????????? I can name so many bowlers that have toiled for so many years in all states and this guy is given a walk up start. I repeat. Who is he???????????????

Well time will tell.

I didn't say it was right, I'm just saying that NSW couldn't very well bench somebody who's just been selected for a representative side when they need the match preparation.

As for how it happened... Starc got into the AusA side on the back of his ODI performance, and he got into the ODI team on the back of his ODD performances. 14 wickets in 7 matches at 22 is pretty decent for a 20yo. I agree it's completely unfair he's now getting preferential treatment in the unlimited overs format after a handful of professional matches, but unfortunately that tends to be how the Australian selectors do it.

Yes Starc is a bit of a surprise but there is something special about this kid.I really was impress by his showings in the odi format verses the Lankans and thats not cause he took 4 wickets.He swung the ball had very good pace and just looked a very mature bowler for his age.So i wouldn't crucify the selectors for going withStarc(I would have done the same).In saying that Copeland has been too impressive to be overlooked.Copeland would have been a lock in ,so my pacers would have been-Copeland, Starc and George.Next 3-6 years the depth in fast bowling should be phenominal cause i think Hazlewood and Pattinson will be better than those 3 i've listed.

Unlikely to happen James Pattinson is Australian and he has already said his dream is to represent Australia not England.I'm more excited about our young future quicks in Pattinson etc than thecurrent batch of Johnson, Bollinger (NOT SAYING I WOULD DROP OUR CURRENT BATCH OF QUICKIES FOR YOUNG UNPROVEN QUICKS)

I didn't say it was right, I'm just saying that NSW couldn't very well bench somebody who's just been selected for a representative side when they need the match preparation.

As for how it happened... Starc got into the AusA side on the back of his ODI performance, and he got into the ODI team on the back of his ODD performances. 14 wickets in 7 matches at 22 is pretty decent for a 20yo. I agree it's completely unfair he's now getting preferential treatment in the unlimited overs format after a handful of professional matches, but unfortunately that tends to be how the Australian selectors do it.

Hi C. Just heard that one M Starc may have a physical problem and wont be playing next week.. So all our discussion = 00000 Thanks for your input and I hope the young man makes me eat my words.

Starc has injured himself in the match against Victoria.

Hopefully Copeland gets a callup to this squad now. If not him, possibly Butterworth or Siddle.

Butterworth??i know he has done well recently but isn't the purpose of the A team to try out talent who wouldnt be too far from the National team?If Butterworth ever represents Australia that means we're more hopeless than we are now.Copeland should replace Starc imo.

Butterworth has played for Australia A in the past and his recent form is good. 27 is not that old. I am not saying it is my preference but I wouldn't be surprised if he got the call.

Back