Australia A v Sri Lanka A in QLD (2 x 4 day, 1 x T20, 3 x 50 over)

eddiesmith

Australia A v Sri Lanka A in QLD (2 x 4 day, 1 x T20, 3 x 50 over)

Dont know if this belongs in International series, but Sri Lanka A is touring for this years A series in the top end

Australia A Series
18-21 June Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Allan Border Field, Brisbane (Four-Day Match)
25-28 June Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Townsville (Four-Day Match)
2 July Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Townsville (Twenty20 Match)
4 July Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Townsville (One-Day Match)
7 July Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Townsville (One-Day Match)
10 July Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Allan Border Field, Brisbane (One-Day Match)

Squads
Limited Overs
Australia A
George Bailey (c) TAS, Tim Paine (vc) TAS, Travis Birt TAS, Xavier Doherty TAS, Brendan Drew TAS, Aaron Finch VIC, Jake Haberfield SA, Josh Hazlewood NSW, Usman Khawaja NSW, Mitchell Marsh WA, Andrew McDonald VIC, James Pattinson VIC, Adam Voges WA

Sri Lanka A
Chamara Kapugedera (capt), Thilina Kandamby, Dimuth Karunaratne, Lahiru Thirimanne, Dinesh Chandimal, Jeevan Mendis, Kosala Kulasekara, Nuwan Pradeep, Dinesh Dharshanapriya, Sachitra Senanayake, Seekuge Prasanna, Dilshan Munaweera, Isuru Udana, Farveez Maharoof and Mahela Udawatte

Four Day
Australia A
George Bailey (c) TAS, Tim Paine (vc) TAS, Ed Cowan TAS, Peter Forrest NSW, Peter George SA, Josh Hazlewood NSW, Ben Hilfenhaus TAS, Usman Khawaja NSW, Michael Klinger SA, Mitchell Marsh WA, Andrew McDonald VIC, Stephen O’Keefe NSW, Mitchell Starc NSW

Sri Lanka A
Thilina Kandamby (capt), Dimuth Karunaratne, Tharanga Paranavitana, Lahiru Thirimanne, Dinesh Chandimal, Kaushal Silva, Jeevan Mendis, Kosala Kulasekara, Nuwan Pradeep, Dinesh Dharshanapriya, Dammika Prasad, Chaminda Vidanapathirana, Sachitra Senanayake, Seekuge Prasanna and Nadeera Nawala

Re: Australia A v Sri Lanka A in QLD (2 x 4 day, 1 x T20, 3 x 50 over)

eddiesmith;400437 said:
Dont know if this belongs in International series, but Sri Lanka A is touring for this years A series in the top end

Australia A Series
18-21 June Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Allan Border Field, Brisbane (Four-Day Match)
25-28 June Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Townsville (Four-Day Match)
2 July Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Townsville (Twenty20 Match)
4 July Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Townsville (One-Day Match)
7 July Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Townsville (One-Day Match)
10 July Australia A v Sri Lanka A, Allan Border Field, Brisbane (One-Day Match)

Squads
Limited Overs
Australia A
George Bailey (c) TAS, Tim Paine (vc) TAS, Travis Birt TAS, Xavier Doherty TAS, Brendan Drew TAS, Aaron Finch VIC, Jake Haberfield SA, Josh Hazlewood NSW, Usman Khawaja NSW, Mitchell Marsh WA, Andrew McDonald VIC, James Pattinson VIC, Adam Voges WA

Sri Lanka A
Chamara Kapugedera (capt), Thilina Kandamby, Dimuth Karunaratne, Lahiru Thirimanne, Dinesh Chandimal, Jeevan Mendis, Kosala Kulasekara, Nuwan Pradeep, Dinesh Dharshanapriya, Sachitra Senanayake, Seekuge Prasanna, Dilshan Munaweera, Isuru Udana, Farveez Maharoof and Mahela Udawatte

Four Day
Australia A
George Bailey (c) TAS, Tim Paine (vc) TAS, Ed Cowan TAS, Peter Forrest NSW, Peter George SA, Josh Hazlewood NSW, Ben Hilfenhaus TAS, Usman Khawaja NSW, Michael Klinger SA, Mitchell Marsh WA, Andrew McDonald VIC, Stephen O’Keefe NSW, Mitchell Starc NSW

Sri Lanka A
Thilina Kandamby (capt), Dimuth Karunaratne, Tharanga Paranavitana, Lahiru Thirimanne, Dinesh Chandimal, Kaushal Silva, Jeevan Mendis, Kosala Kulasekara, Nuwan Pradeep, Dinesh Dharshanapriya, Dammika Prasad, Chaminda Vidanapathirana, Sachitra Senanayake, Seekuge Prasanna and Nadeera Nawala

I put the Aus A squads in the Australia section. Shall I see if I can get the mods to delete it so we don't have two threads?

Nah maybe we can make that one into an Australia A team discussion thread, talk about who is in the 2nd best side in Australia

I was going to put it there but then decided to just start series threads instead

eddiesmith;400465 said:
Nah maybe we can make that one into an Australia A team discussion thread, talk about who is in the 2nd best side in Australia

I was going to put it there but then decided to just start series threads instead

In all honesty, I like so few of the Aus test players, apart from Mike Hussey and at times, MJ (but he is becoming less likeable as well) that I am getting more interested in state and A cricket than I used to.

All though, I don't dislike Marcus North, but I still think he should never have been considered for Australia.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how Hazelwood goes. He still looks undeveloped physically but I thought he bowled beautifully in the U19 games that I saw. He has skill and nip. This will be a very big step up for him. Unfortunately I don't get to see any state fixtures at all, they never seem to be broadcast anywhere.

I have liked Khawaja since I saw him in the u19's a few years ago. He looked like a calm kid when batting and a nice range of strokes.

I think its a bit too early for Mitch Marsh, but some of his interviews in the IPL were very good. He appears remarkably mature and sensible without having a big head and I hope he does well in the one day team.

Bailey for at least a ton I think in 4 day version. The problem with these A squads is that you always feel that CA has their special players earmarked and it kind of doesn't matter what the others do unless they score triple centuries all season in the Pura Cup.

I'm not at all familiar with most of those names but one thing I did notice about the limited over squad was that 9 of the 13 (about 70%) of the players were from New South Wales and Tasmania. What's with that?

lewissaffin;400482 said:
I'm not at all familiar with most of those names but one thing I did notice about the limited over squad was that 9 of the 13 (about 70%) of the players were from New South Wales and Tasmania. What's with that?

Any even half-decent West Aussies get hauled up for national duty so there isn't many of them to choose from. (The rest range from Basket case to Past it). I think SA are pretty much in the same boat.

New South Wales alway seems to have a lot of players in almost any series of any merit at all, regardless of how their teams are performing in the state comps.

But the Tasmanian thing is possibly just timing? They have a few decent players at once.

Bulls are possibly hard done by. Cutting is having surgery apparently as he is an obvious miss.

lewissaffin;400482 said:

New South Wales has the largest population in Australia and hence usually has the most representatives in the national and "A" sides. However, there is a perceived bias towards NSW as they seem to get a lot of representatives in these sides even if form doesn't warrant selection. Tasmania won the Ford Ranger Cup competition (50-overs comp) here last summer and has quite a few good players in the side.

NSW and Tasmania have seven players overall in the squad, I believe all of them warrant selection.

Its actually 9/13 in the 4 day squad which is quite amazing given that Tasmania finished 2nd last

eddiesmith;400508 said:
Its actually 9/13 in the 4 day squad which is quite amazing given that Tasmania finished 2nd last

Yes, probably half those guys deserve their spots. Players like Khawaja, Hazlewood, Bailey and Paine I'm happy to see there as they are more than likely going to be involved in Australia's future. Hilfenhaus is a no brainer as he is a test-quality bowler returning from injury. The rest I'm not sold on although Cowan has been in reasonable form.

Ljp86;400504 said:
New South Wales has the largest population in Australia and hence usually has the most representatives in the national and "A" sides. However, there is a perceived bias towards NSW as they seem to get a lot of representatives in these sides even if form doesn't warrant selection. Tasmania won the Ford Ranger Cup competition (50-overs comp) here last summer and has quite a few good players in the side.

NSW and Tasmania have seven players overall in the squad, I believe all of them warrant selection.

Also that NSW has a bloody good system to bring youngsters through, they just aren't very good at producing goods as a team.

Tasmania seems to go through cycles, they get very good then get very bad.

Well the system has got yet another youngster elevated into the Australia team. Who will get into Aus A in place of Hazlewood?

Beeswax;401621 said:
Well the system has got yet another youngster elevated into the Australia team. Who will get into Aus A in place of Hazlewood?

We may not find out if Ben Hilfenhaus is fit from this match. The pitch must have been a real turner from day 1.

Flattened out a bit today and Hilfy is getting a few more overs

200 runs and 5 wickets, Australia A should win but dont know about the Sri Lanka A batting depth, I would back most Aussie state sides to make the target with the batting depth alot have

Back