Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

eddiesmith

Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

VB Tour of The British Isles
17 June Australia v Ireland, Clontarf, Dublin (One-Day International)
19 June Australia v Middlesex, Lord’s (One-Day Tour Match)
22 June Australia v England, Rose Bowl (One-Day International)
24 June Australia v England, Cardiff (One-Day International)
27 June Australia v England, Old Trafford (One-Day International)
30 June Australia v England, The Oval (One-Day International)
3 July Australia v England, Lord’s (One-Day International)

VB Pakistan Series
5 July Australia v Pakistan, Edgbaston (Twenty20 International)
6 July Australia Pakistan, Edgbaston (Twenty20 International)
*8-9 July Australia v Derbyshire, Derby (Two-Day Tour Match)
*13-17 July Australia v Pakistan, Lord’s (1st Test)
*21-25 July Australia v Pakistan, Headingley (2nd Test)

Australias only changes are Marsh in for Voges in 50 over, Paine dropped from T20

Australian ODI squad
Ponting (c), Clarke, (vc), Bollinger, Haddin, Harris, Hauritz, M.Hussey, Hopes, Johnson, Marsh, McKay, Smith, White, Watson

Australian T20 squad
Clarke (c), White (vc), Christian, Haddin, Harris, D.Hussey, M.Hussey, Hauritz, Johnson, Nannes, Smith, Tait, Warner, Watson

Australian test squad to be named after first 4 day game v Sri Lanka A which is played 18-21 June

Cricket Australia > Latest News > News

Obviously Australia is not looking at any changes yet, although they do usually like to limit players they take for T20is overseas, probably have to wait for the home series to see who is playing

I do hope that Chris Rogers plays the tour game :D

Re: Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

What do you think the chances are of Shaun Marsh getting a game?

Re: Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests)

I think he should play in place of Hopes but they seem pretty intent on batting Haddin up the order these days so it wont happen

eddiesmith;400822 said:
I think he should play in place of Hopes but they seem pretty intent on batting Haddin up the order these days so it wont happen

A little while back I though he should be played ahead of Hopes as well, but Hopes's last series was pretty good.

His last two scores batting were 43 and 38 batting at 7, and bowling 1/35 (10) and 1/38 (9), not getting the wickets but definitely keeping it tight.

His last domestic season saw him win the Queensland's best T20 player and I thought he should have also gotten the ODD award too.

So he's in form, Marsh has just come back from two injuries. He scored a 100 not long ago, but perhaps getting some batting in elsewhere before coming back in...

I wouldn't have actually picked him for the squad even though I very much like him.

The problem is when you have Hopes and Watson in the top 7, one of the actual bowlers gets very underbowled as Ricky loves em both so they get plenty of overs, it throws out the balance a bit

As for Marsh, I suppose if he isnt going to play County cricket then picking him isnt taking him away from other cricket he could be playing and they can give him a game or 2 when others might rest ahead of the test series after having a couple of hits

eddiesmith;400822 said:

Haddin must look like the best batsman in the world in the nets as I just don't get the idea that he can bat anywhere anytime. :confused:

Punter is a fan of Marsh's batting. He has said very complimentary things about him in the past as he has Voges so I assume Marsh will get games.

Both Haddin and Marsh seem to me to be prone to regular brainfades, where their footwork deserts them.

eddiesmith;400841 said:
The problem is when you have Hopes and Watson in the top 7, one of the actual bowlers gets very underbowled as Ricky loves em both so they get plenty of overs, it throws out the balance a bit

As for Marsh, I suppose if he isnt going to play County cricket then picking him isnt taking him away from other cricket he could be playing and they can give him a game or 2 when others might rest ahead of the test series after having a couple of hits

Good points, but there is also the argument that not having Hopes also throws the balance out. Watson and Hopes both bowl economically and together can tie down an end for 10 overs, at about 4 RPO between them. That leaves the other four bowlers a bit of leeway with runs to go for the wicket. It was quite often the Hopes/Symonds combo that covered for Lee going at 5.5 RPO, but he got the wickets.

Beeswax;400845 said:
Haddin must look like the best batsman in the world in the nets as I just don't get the idea that he can bat anywhere anytime. :confused:

Punter is a fan of Marsh's batting. He has said very complimentary things about him in the past as he has Voges so I assume Marsh will get games.

Both Haddin and Marsh seem to me to be prone to regular brainfades, where their footwork deserts them.

Haddin is a good batsman, don't forget that. He first made it into the Test side as a batsman and also to give him an adjusting period so that Gilchrist could fade out, and he is averaging 40 in Tests. He has scored well in ODIs, but he's just out of form now.

He can bat anywhere, he's just got to find the form to do so.

I'm expecting Hopes and Marsh to both play depending on who is resting. You would have to think Hopes would be very close to a First XI spot again though.

Boris;400867 said:
Haddin is a good batsman, don't forget that. He first made it into the Test side as a batsman and also to give him an adjusting period so that Gilchrist could fade out, and he is averaging 40 in Tests. He has scored well in ODIs, but he's just out of form now.

He can bat anywhere, he's just got to find the form to do so.

I'm expecting Hopes and Marsh to both play depending on who is resting. You would have to think Hopes would be very close to a First XI spot again though.

I know he is MEANT to be a good batsman. Steve Waugh said so.

Beeswax;400898 said:
I know he is MEANT to be a good batsman. Steve Waugh said so.

He's proven himself at both domestic and international level, so for now I'm happy to just let his performances talk for themselves. If he doesn't improve for a little while then he doesn't have the glove skill to fall back on, so he has to be careful.

Boris;400936 said:
He's proven himself at both domestic and international level, so for now I'm happy to just let his performances talk for themselves. If he doesn't improve for a little while then he doesn't have the glove skill to fall back on, so he has to be careful.

Well he's out of the one dayers now.

Sounds like he has been playing injured for a while.

Beeswax;401275 said:
Well he's out of the one dayers now.

Sounds like he has been playing injured for a while.

Yep, tennis elbow is a nasty thing. He can still keep though, which is a sign that he won't have to rest as long as he would if it did.

It's good for Paine though. He gets to show his face and show what he can do, and if he's lucky enough (not to put any bad luck on Haddin) he will get a Test cap.

Haddin will get his spot back as soon as he's fit though, so Paine just has to make sure he looks mature and when he comes back in a couple of years as the next full time keeper he isn't thought of a hit and miss slogger. He just has to sensible.

Johnson and Haddin out for the time being.

How do you guys think Ireland will stack up against Australia next Thursday?

Boris;401613 said:
Johnson and Haddin out for the time being.

How do you guys think Ireland will stack up against Australia next Thursday?

It will be Bolly, MkKay and Harris won't it? They need longer match practise.

What do you think about them giving Hazlewood a call? So many injuries mean that he has been elevated very early.

I don't really understand why they wouldn't haul Nannes away from Notts, though I guess like Pollard, he might refuse to come as he hasn't got a contract with CA, so he can tell them to stick it.

Beeswax;401620 said:
It will be Bolly, MkKay and Harris won't it? They need longer match practise.

What do you think about them giving Hazlewood a call? So many injuries mean that he has been elevated very early.

I don't really understand why they wouldn't haul Nannes away from Notts, though I guess like Pollard, he might refuse to come as he hasn't got a contract with CA, so he can tell them to stick it.

Yes, that'll have to be the bowlers.

My line-up against Ireland:
1. Watson
2. Marsh
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. White
6. Paine
7. Hopes
8. Hauritz
9. Harris
10. Bollinger
11. McKay

Hussey gets a rest to start the series, and lets Marsh and Hopes argue about who gets to play on a more full time basis. As much as I like him, I think at moment Marsh has to give way, Paine up to open, Hussey in at 6 and Hopes at 7. That gives 6 bowlers to play with, two of them good batsmen, good enough keeper batsman opening and plenty of leeway.

I'd also give Hazlewood a run somewhere in the series against England. They will rotate through like normal and he should end up being the youngest debutante ever. None of these bowlers have bowled for quite a while though so they should be pretty fit and raring to go.

I'm also missing Ponting already. It really is quite strange to not see him playing when everyone else is so often with the T20s. Will be good to finally see him back out there again. Gonna hate it when he retires.

Boris;401623 said:
Yes, that'll have to be the bowlers.

My line-up against Ireland:
1. Watson
2. Marsh
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. White
6. Paine
7. Hopes
8. Hauritz
9. Harris
10. Bollinger
11. McKay

Hussey gets a rest to start the series, and lets Marsh and Hopes argue about who gets to play on a more full time basis. As much as I like him, I think at moment Marsh has to give way, Paine up to open, Hussey in at 6 and Hopes at 7. That gives 6 bowlers to play with, two of them good batsmen, good enough keeper batsman opening and plenty of leeway.

I'd also give Hazlewood a run somewhere in the series against England. They will rotate through like normal and he should end up being the youngest debutante ever. None of these bowlers have bowled for quite a while though so they should be pretty fit and raring to go.

I'm also missing Ponting already. It really is quite strange to not see him playing when everyone else is so often with the T20s. Will be good to finally see him back out there again. Gonna hate it when he retires.

I'd like to see Paine opening as well. He did ok last time. The weather over here is 'interesting' humid overcast and cold all at the same time regularly. If it stays like this the moving ball could brind about the Aussies downfall in this series.

That bowling line-up looks weird. I'll have to get used to it though. Sids will be a continually injured player so may never be a full-time member again. Hilfy isn't really a one day pick and who knows what will happen with Brett Lee if he is ever fit again? I hope Shane Watson bowls ok as he was really horrible in the Worldtwenty/20.

Beeswax;401627 said:
I'd like to see Paine opening as well. He did ok last time. The weather over here is 'interesting' humid overcast and cold all at the same time regularly. If it stays like this the moving ball could brind about the Aussies downfall in this series.

That bowling line-up looks weird. I'll have to get used to it though. Sids will be a continually injured player so may never be a full-time member again. Hilfy isn't really a one day pick and who knows what will happen with Brett Lee if he is ever fit again? I hope Shane Watson bowls ok as he was really horrible in the Worldtwenty/20.

The Aussie batsman are going to have fun this series with the much improved England attack. Even in the Ashes where England won I still couldn't see anything good about their bowling attack (then again I didn't like Australia's either) but this time around things seem a lot more settled and it's going to be quite a challenge to get on top consistently, but I still think they will do so.

Honestly I don't think this bowling attack will stay together for that long. I don't think McKay will be there for much longer, he doesn't seem the part for me. I would consider him more in Tests than I would ODIs, in fact I would have Hilfy ahead of him.

Hazelwood is in there for experience more or less. He's performing very well for his age, but hasn't really done anything special. He's been solid, but not brilliant, so I think this is just an experience trip for him. In three or so years time I think he will be a major player in this squad, as will Cutting I think.

Lee will play for Australia again if he is fit. Even if he shouldn't, he will. The selectors took a punt contracting him and they won't want to admit themselves being wrong or have to pay him for nothing. Besides I think he will do quite well if he gets fit enough to do so.

This is really a conversation for the ODI selection thread. Perhaps go over there now and free this up for when the series starts?

'Their bowling group is 12 months more advanced, just like ours. They are going really well'.

This is Nielsen on the English team.

Our bowling 'group' isn't 12 months more advanced. It's pretty much a different group. Lee, Siddle, Bracken and Johnson are all off the scene and they played in the English, ICC tournament and the Indian series. Which we won.

They have mostly the same bowlers, with the addition of Yardy, who are far more confident and full of themselves.

I'm not particularly confident about this series. Having Paine instead of Haddin is a plus, but I don't see too many others.

Having Clarke is possibly not a plus. We can't afford slowcoaches this time around.

Luckily White and Hussey are looking like a proper team these days.

Whitey really loves playing in England, should be a lesson there for the selectors that those players who are on the fringe who have played succesfully for years in a country will do better than those who havent

eddiesmith;402028 said:
Whitey really loves playing in England, should be a lesson there for the selectors that those players who are on the fringe who have played succesfully for years in a country will do better than those who havent

I don't know about that. Paine did well in England last time. That's the only time he's been there as far as I am aware and Hussey was shite in the Ashes despite having played in England for years far more successfully than most English players at County level.

Beeswax;402040 said:
I don't know about that. Paine did well in England last time. That's the only time he's been there as far as I am aware and Hussey was shite in the Ashes despite having played in England for years far more successfully than most English players at County level.
But Hussey was also an old man by the time he got to play in England, if he played in 2005 it may have been different

Back