Australia vs England - The Ashes 2021/22

Confirmation our new skipper now joins Hazlewood on the sidelines. Pommies will be jumping for joy.

Won toss and batting. Prefer this than starting an innings in the evening. With what four/five hours until the ball becomes tricky we can hopefully build a good platform and not lose too many wickets.

1/45 from 25 overs.. slow but steady progress. Need to up the rate after tea if we want a good platform before the pink ball gremlins hit after dusk.

129 at tea with still only the one wicket down..

terrific last session by the boys.. a war of attrition and we came out on top.
stumps 2/221.

Last edited:
Dont you find CA odd. Why wasn't JH's replacement named immediately. Surely Richardson and Neser need not be on tenderhooks awaiting the CA decision instead one of the two should be in full Test prep mode now. The match is on Thursday????
Also have you heard whether Warner is in or out. I've not read anything.

Perhaps they were still deciding at the time, Richardson was the favourite in the end and got the nod but both ended up playing anyway.

I for one would prefer they were playing red ball in Australia's second best team against the old enemy. Those with BBL contracts leave the squad and bring in some new faces that are not.

I'd prefer the Australia "A" side be the country's Second XI, I'd be happy to keep those guys in the side to play at that level rather than release them for Big Bash. Realistically, the series should have started sooner (both the Ashes and the Second XI game) but the T20 World Cup got in the way.

Who are your preferred opener. The aggressive guy that can take the game away from a captain, like a Warner or Hayden or the more circumspect guy that uses patience and application to score his runs.. say a Boycott or Lawry. Either one can win you games. The ideal opening pair would be one of each of those types of batsmen imo.

Warner and one of Hunt or Street. Harris failed again today, it's clear he is not up to it at this level given how he has fared so far. After today's innings, his average is just above 22 which is simply not good enough. I imagine his spot might be in danger for the third test but I wouldn't be surprised if he is given another reprieve, at least for the next game or two. He certainly needs runs in the second dig at this stage.

Day one proved to be Australia's day in the second test, finishing at 2/212. Honours were tied after the first session with Australia 1/45 from 25 overs as England bowled relatively well but David Warner and Marnus Labuschagne took the game away from England in the next two sessions as they slowly got on top to put Australia in a strong position. Warner was dismissed towards the end of the day but Labuschagne continued on and with the help of Steve Smith got Australia to stumps with no further loss.

The pitch seems to be a batting friendly track so tomorrow will be a big day for both sides, Australia will want to further cement their position while England will be after quick wickets with the second new ball which is nine overs old. Tomorrow's forecast is for 37 degrees so it will be a hot day in Adelaide before things cool right down after that.

average is just above 22 which is simply not good enough
Certainly not. George Bailey said they intended giving Harris a run this time. Why? Of he continues to fluff his chances. Please no more bites of the cherry if he fails to post at least a half ton in the second..
Warner was dismissed towards the end of the day but Labuschagne continued on and with the help of Steve Smith got Australia to stumps with no further loss.
Gutsy, attritional cricket by all three. The England bowlers kept up the pressure all day.. gave them nothing but they gutsed in out specially during the difficult evening session to lay the platform for a solid score. Survive the second new ball and the Poms will wilt in the sweltering conditions.

Last edited:
The pitch seems to be a batting friendly track
Yes the curator said he left a touch more grass on it this time. No doubt that was a CA directive to ensure the match goes its full duration. I'd not call it all that batting friendly just yet tho LJ._

Last edited:
Marnus and Head gone yet Smithy battles on.

Ideally we will want to bat until the evening session then declare.. hopefully with 450 in the bank.

Last edited:
James Anderson may have just sunk our plans with the late pre tea wickets of Smith and Carey. Now up to the tail to eek out another 40 or so after the break..

473. Smithy brings us in after some late hitting from Neser, Starc and Richardson. Poms now have a tricky 26 overs to overcome this evening.

Starc with a rare unplayable has Burns. Neser his first Test wicket while Richardson beat the bat constantly with his accuracy and swing.

Game halted while a thunderstorm with lightening goes past
Play has to be abandoned evidently when there is an electrical storm.

One of these days someone may actually cover a cricket ground so Test match cricket is not abandoned due to weather..

Last edited:
Back