Australian Contract List 2010/11

eddiesmith

Australian Contract List 2010/11

2010-11 contracted players Doug Bollinger, Michael Clarke, Callum Ferguson, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, Nathan Hauritz, Ben Hilfenhaus, James Hopes, Phillip Hughes, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Shaun Marsh, Andrew McDonald, Clint McKay, Marcus North, Tim Paine, Ricky Ponting, Peter Siddle, Steven Smith, Shaun Tait, Adam Voges, Shane Watson, Cameron White.

Those in bold are new additions

Bracken, Clark, Hodge, Dussey and Manou were all dumped

No real suprises, despite Peter English constantly calling for McDonald to be dumped and then being shocked he wasnt :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder if the day will come when T20 players actually get a contract as Shaun Tait is the only player who only plays T20 cricket to get one which the selectors claim is because they think he will play 50 over cricket again, must be in case of some miracle by next years world cup

Re: Australian Contract List 2010/11

McDonald would have to be happy be in there again knowing he'd still be in the sectors thoughts.

Harsh on Bracken, very harsh in fact. Bit surprised McDonald still has a contract as well. Brett Lee is lucky to still have a contract.

Other than that, no real surprises. The list gives us a real insight into where Australian cricket is headed in the next 12 to 18 months, obviously the 2011 World Cup will be in the back of everyone's minds as it is only a year away now.

So I guess that gives us an idea of the roster of players to pick from for the 10/11 Ashes Campaign.

Your three premier spinners, Hauritz, Smith and Marsh, are both pretty average players so England might find some fortune at Adelaide or the SCG. In comparison to Swann, Tredwell and Panesar, the Australian spinners are inferior.

Unfortunately for us, the quicks and seamers in that list look very strong and I'm not quite sure that England's quicks and seamers can match up to them.

Bollinger, Lee, Johnson, Harris, Hilfenhaus, McDonald, McKay, Siddle and Tait are all decent bowlers in Australia. The only problem is the lack of experience in that line-up. Compared with Anderson, Broad, Finn, Mahmood, Onions, Plunkett, Shahzad and Sidebottom, the Australians are better bowlers. The Englishmen all (with the exception of Finn and Shahzad) have more Test experience than the Australians (save for Lee, Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus).

lewissaffin;396155 said:
So I guess that gives us an idea of the roster of players to pick from for the 10/11 Ashes Campaign.

No, players can be picked from outside the contracted players list although that doesn't happen all that often. From that list in Ed's opening post, McKay and Harris debuted for Australia in ODI's and Test cricket just recently despite not being contracted by CA at the time.

lewissaffin said:
Your three premier spinners, Hauritz, Smith and Marsh, are both pretty average players so England might find some fortune at Adelaide or the SCG. In comparison to Swann, Tredwell and Panesar, the Australian spinners are inferior.

Unfortunately for us, the quicks and seamers in that list look very strong and I'm not quite sure that England's quicks and seamers can match up to them.

Bollinger, Lee, Johnson, Harris, Hilfenhaus, McDonald, McKay, Siddle and Tait are all decent bowlers in Australia. The only problem is the lack of experience in that line-up. Compared with Anderson, Broad, Finn, Mahmood, Onions, Plunkett, Shahzad and Sidebottom, the Australians are better bowlers. The Englishmen all (with the exception of Finn and Shahzad) have more Test experience than the Australians (save for Lee, Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus).

Marsh is an opening batsman and is only playing ODI's at the moment, he won't bowl a ball at all. Smith is an all-rounder who's bowling is really only developing at this point in time so he won't be used as a frontline spinner. I can't see him playing test cricket against England next summer unless something drastic happens.

As for Hauritz, he was the best spin bowler in the previous Ashes series by far, outbowling Panesar and Swann on their own turf. If it weren't for the last test, Swann's average for the series would have been well over 50 and Panesar was made to look very ordinary in the games he played. Having said that, Swann would be the better bowler at the moment out of all six with Hauritz next. I'd probably pick Smith before Panesar too, Monty is rubbish. I've never seen Tredwell play so can't really comment on him that much. I'd assume he'd be behind Swann and Panesar in the pecking order?

Australia's pace attack is much better than England's, without swing, England will struggle over here as the ball doesn't really swing all that much so the English bowlers are going to have to work on their seam movement before they tour here later in the year.

With regards to experience, I'd say it'd be about even. All in all it should be a very good series next summer and both sides match up pretty well.

It does give an idea what the selectors are looking at, but things can change with dramatic form or injuries

Whilst most dont see the point of McDonald, I can, if Watson breaks down its obvious he is their next choice for a medium pace all rounder, may get a look in when they decide not to play a spinner like in the past and should be around the mark for the limited overs squads

He was unlucky to be dropped, doing an alright job and would have been very dangerous in England

James Hopes is probably quite lucky seeing as he is only in the frame for 1 of the 3 sides and he isnt even a first choice player there

Ljp86;396150 said:
Harsh on Bracken, very harsh in fact. Bit surprised McDonald still has a contract as well. Brett Lee is lucky to still have a contract.

Other than that, no real surprises. The list gives us a real insight into where Australian cricket is headed in the next 12 to 18 months, obviously the 2011 World Cup will be in the back of everyone's minds as it is only a year away now.

I agree with you on that front when you compare the fact that both Bracken and Callum Ferguson had knee operations but one is not contracted and one is.. However in all honesty his age might have counted against him.

Steve Smith I think is a future/ rookie contract as I thought he was a leggie but now I see he has started scoring runs.. would it be fair to call him an allrounder? Help ...

As an outsider the contracted squad seems to be based on a Test plan as a majority of players play either 2/3 formats for Australia. Tait is a surprise as I was under the impression that he is only going to be playing 20 over cricket.

Also is there any place where the order of the contracts is shown ie. Ponting 1, etc.. as from my research it is only CA that has that knowledge right?

Yep, only CA has that knowledge although plenty of speculation around

Steve Smith is a batsman who rolls the arm over in the longest form and a bowler who sometimes succesfully slogs in the shortest form although Australia have so far picked him as a bowler in test squads

lewissaffin;396155 said:

I seem to recall Hauritz far outplaying Swann last Ashes.

hattrick;396182 said:
I agree with you on that front when you compare the fact that both Bracken and Callum Ferguson had knee operations but one is not contracted and one is.. However in all honesty his age might have counted against him.

Bracken is only 32 at the moment and was the best one-day bowler in the world for quite a while. Very harsh to drop him especially when he showed good form in the domestic comp coming back from injury late in the season.

hattrick said:
Steve Smith I think is a future/ rookie contract as I thought he was a leggie but now I see he has started scoring runs.. would it be fair to call him an allrounder? Help ...

Yes, he's an all-rounder. Very, very similar to Cameron White but unsure which way his game will go at this point in time. Smith's batting is most definitely his strong-point, much the same as White.

hattrick said:
Also is there any place where the order of the contracts is shown ie. Ponting 1, etc.. as from my research it is only CA that has that knowledge right?

Ponting, Clarke, Johnson and Watson are considered the top four, that quartet earn about AUS$1.5 million per year. Ponting would be number one, it's not "official" but everyone knows it.

All in all I agree with it, but some strange choices.

I can't see how Bracken was left out but Lee stayed in. I myself would have both (as you know) but Bracken was playing and playing well 6 months ago, last time Lee had a good go was yonks ago. Bracken had knee surgery, Lee had elbow surgery. Knee is most likely to recover better for longer than bowling elbow.

Saying that, though, Lee is the far more experienced of the two and probably fits better with the look of the rest of the side, as the risky choice (there has to be one of them for the contracts, it's called business, and business is risky). Both still have the same chance to be playing anyway, not getting a contract doesn't rule you out.

McDonald, keeping out my prejudices against him, is a strange choice. He hasn't played in any form for a year and a bit, and I can't see him getting into the ODI squad. Saying that the Test squad is pretty darn full as well: if Watson is injured than Hughes is in (or have Hussey opening, choice obvious there), and can't see him replacing North with Smith being chosen to tour before, and once again Hughes to shift stuff around.

Stuart Clark going is something I don't like seeing, but it's a long shot for him, no use paying him for something that may or may not happen. Now it's time for him to do a Jason Gillespie and go back to domestic and average 20 for the next 4 seasons.

Can't see much sense in contracting Smith. Where is he meant to play in the next year?

As I said, I agree with it, but unfortunate for some, lucky for others.

Weirdest choice is Voges.

That one is an utter mystery. I can't work out why he is ever in squads let alone getting reasonably frequent games in ODI.

lewissaffin;396155 said:

We have a spin bowler with the name of Marsh? Am I missing something?

Beeswax;396916 said:
We have a spin bowler with the name of Marsh? Am I missing something?

That was a mistake as corrected by Lewis later.

Hauritz and Smith are the only spinners around the squad now.

lewissaffin;396155 said:

Swann is a more accomplished bowler than Hauritz, no doubt; however, the real issue concerning the impact of spin in the 2010 Ashes is the respective ability of Australian batsmen and English batsmen to play spin bowling. In that regard, in Australia at least, Australian batsmen are far more adept at playing spin bowling compared to the English.

Australian batsmen flourish agaisnt spin in Australia and our batsmen have handed out regular drubbings to top class spinners (murali, singh, kumble) when they have toured Australia. Away from home it is a different story. Hauritz while inferior to Swann, is likely to have more success because the England batsmen are inferior players of spin bowling. Swann is a weakpoint in the English team, his success has covered up the glaring weaknesses in the English seam attack, which Australian can exploit.

Australia's seamers all have a lot of experience bowling in Australian conditions, that is the only thing that counts when focussing on the 2010 Ashes. Out of England's seamers only Anderson has played in Australia, his 5 wickets @ 80 in 2006 should hold him in good stead for the 2010 Ashes :D :rolleyes:

England's seam attack has little experience bowling in Australia, all the available evidence suggests that under clear conditions England's attack struggles for penetration, especially if they go with 4 bowlers, which you think England will do, at least for the first two test matchs in Brisbane and Adelaide.

The scribes will build it up as a close contest, but England's attack is totally unsuited to the conditions in Australia and, as such, they will get hammered.

That is what was said before the 2009 Ashes though, that Siddle and Hilfenhaus were the new wonder boys of Australian cricket and that the English wouldn't stand a chance.

That didn't quite go as planned though...

It's Ashes cricket, anything can happen. I think this is one of the better English teams to come to Australia for a little while, and although I think it's inevitable that Australia will win in these conditions with this team, England stand a firm chance.

Boris;397643 said:
That is what was said before the 2009 Ashes though, that Siddle and Hilfenhaus were the new wonder boys of Australian cricket and that the English wouldn't stand a chance.

That didn't quite go as planned though...

It's Ashes cricket, anything can happen. I think this is one of the better English teams to come to Australia for a little while, and although I think it's inevitable that Australia will win in these conditions with this team, England stand a firm chance.

What was said before the 2009 Ashes? I can't remember anyone billing Hilfenhaus and Siddle as the new boy-wonders?

Fact is, Australia had a rookie attack that was unfamiliar with English conditions, however, even so, I still think that the Australian attack held up reasonably well in conditions that they were not familiar with. I can remember us bowling on day 1 in some of the test matchs and the ball wasn't carrying through to the keeper; in Australia that won't be the case, the ball will be flying through above shoulder height to Haddin.

Our win in South Africa had the nuffies thinking we were still number 1. The win in South Africa was due to the conditions being so similar to Australian conditions.

England got the ball to swing at certain times which routed our batting and directly lead to the loss of the Ashes. The ball will not swing in Australia, at least to that degree. Consequently, I really struggle to see this England attack doing much damage in Australia.

England will start with 4 bowlers at Brisbane; Australia has a magnificent record at the Gabba and England would settle for a draw at the Gabba, as such, they'll bolster the batting and go with 4 bowlers.

Sometimes Boris I reckon you should go out on a limb and make a firm prediction.

Look at it like this:

Right now, Is Australia a better team than the team that went to the Ashes last year? YES.

Right now, Is England a better team than the team that played in the Ashes last year? NO

IMO Australia will win fairly comfortably. The closer we get to the Ashes in November the more confident I am. Australia to win 3-1.

Back