Average Speed for age

phil2oo8

Average Speed for age

Hi, i'm 15 and i am currently doing a junior coaching course (so i take u-11) and i get asked everyweek by the bowlers "what speed should i be bowling at?" and honestly i don't have a clue. I tell them at there age line and length is most important with proper ( non-mixed action) actions. Still, i recently started to wonder what would you say is the average speed for:
u-11
u-13
u-15
senior

im currently hittin 60-65 mph consistently and can hit 70 wiv me effort ball....but is that good?
thanks
phil

Re: Average Speed for age

I don't think there is any correct answer to this question. Kids develop at different rates and even if you have a 13 year who is quick for his age, he may be below average by the time he's 15 and the others have caught up.

The key thing is to get them doing the basics correctly and making sure that they enjoy the game. I would tell them that there is no correct answer and that they should enjoy the game - speed will come as they get older.

All bowlers are different speeda throughout all levels of the game.It's just all about what kind of action you have and how much power you use whilst bowling.

Almost_Austwick said:
I don't think there is any correct answer to this question. Kids develop at different rates and even if you have a 13 year who is quick for his age, he may be below average by the time he's 15 and the others have caught up.

The key thing is to get them doing the basics correctly and making sure that they enjoy the game. I would tell them that there is no correct answer and that they should enjoy the game - speed will come as they get older.

Pretty much the perfect answer. Also note that numbers are not the be all and end all, after all, Mcgrath in his prime had batsmen late on the ball and had a mean bouncer, but he was never consistency faster than 85mph.

I think that different people have different speeds Like Ishant Sharma of India
he is 19 but he bowls 150kph

macaroon9 said:
I think that different people have different speeds Like Ishant Sharma of India
he is 19 but he bowls 150kph

How tall is he though? That can play a part as it gives him longer levers to work with. Also, some people are just genetically better for generating speed than others,

He is more than 6 feet dont know the exact height but he is more than 6 feet and the height helps with the bounce
He is so tall so he can bounce more than other people in the team.Thats how he got Ricky Ponting out in the test series!

Yeah Sharma is 6 feet 4 inches. Certainly taller than your average Indian fast bowler. Which is why he is also faster than most of them.

the height helps in pace but with that much height the bounce is more :D :laugh:

Bounce is an important thing, also the height at which he releases the ball - if he is big enough he may be able to release the ball from above the line of the sightscreen, which is a big help as well.

i want to ask that wats ur height it can be a beinfit if ur tall enough
phil2oo8 said:
Hi, i'm 15 and i am currently doing a junior coaching course (so i take u-11) and i get asked everyweek by the bowlers "what speed should i be bowling at?" and honestly i don't have a clue. I tell them at there age line and length is most important with proper ( non-mixed action) actions. Still, i recently started to wonder what would you say is the average speed for:
u-11
u-13
u-15
senior

im currently hittin 60-65 mph consistently and can hit 70 wiv me effort ball....but is that good?
thanks
phil

oh erm.....6 ft 2, 12 stone exactly.....bmi= 21 i think.... nd ino im 16.7% body fat.....i hope that helps you all a little more

well thats good enough for your age.You should run is as fast as you can and you r strength should be good enough

Ya i mean im 16 and i bowl at about 55 mph. I mean i started playin cricket only three years back and i've really gotten into the game last year and recently ive been improving my technique. Does anyone here have advice for increasing my speed or do u guys think itll just come? thanks

I'm not sure about the average speed, but just for you to know:
I'm a pretty strong 14-year old and I can bowl 90kmph easily, and can touch 110-120 once in a match.
I'm 5'10, if you want to know, and weigh 130lbs.

Cricketman said:
I'm not sure about the average speed, but just for you to know:
I'm a pretty strong 14-year old and I can bowl 90kmph easily, and can touch 110-120 once in a match.
I'm 5'10, if you want to know, and weigh 130lbs.

That is pretty damn sharp! Do you play with speed guns in matches?

Back