B.c.c.i Thread

Srinivasan may quit to keep control

Sometime in the next 24 hours, N Srinivasan is likely to resign as the BCCI president. That is the feeling among BCCI officials, who say his decision will be influenced by the possible alternative: the Supreme Court appointing an administrator of its own choice to run the board.

If and when Srinivasan does step down, the favourite to replace him is Shivlal Yadav, the former India offspinner and the BCCI's South Zone vice president. The precedent that the officials point to is 2004, when the Madras High Court appointed an interim administrator - Supreme Court Judge S Mohan - during the bitter battle for the president's post between Sharad Pawar and Jagmohan Dalmiya. A day after his appointment - a Saturday - Mohan was restrained fromentering the BCCI office in Mumbai, and on Monday the Dalmiya group obtained a stay on his appointment from the Supreme Court. It was followed by a re-election, which delayed Pawar's entry into BCCI fold by another year.

"We would like to avoid a situation like in 2004, so it is possible that the president might act accordingly in the best interest of Indian cricket," a BCCI official told ESPNcricinfo. He said that any stubborn stand put up by Srinivasan could only backfire and hurt the BCCI, which could lose its autonomy if the court were to appoint an independent person as an interim president.

Another senior board official said Srinivasan was too "intelligent" to take on the court. "Will he take the risk … especially after what happened in the case of the Sahara owner Subrata Roy earlier this month? [The Supreme Court ordered Roy to be arrested after he failed to attend court hearings, and Roy is still in custody pending bail.] I don't think so," the board official said. "Mr Srinivasan is too intelligent to defy the court's order."

It was a tumultuous Tuesday for Srinivasan as the two judges, Justices AK Patnaik and Ibrahim Kalifulla, delivered blunt observations while hearing arguments in a special leave petition probing corruption in the 2013 IPL. The SLP was filed by Aditya Verma, secretary of Cricket Association of Bihar, a body the BCCI said it does not recognise. Verma had originally challenged the fact that Srinivasan continued to head the BCCI when the franchise he is owner of, Chennai Super Kings, had been involved in allegations of corruption during the 2013 IPL.

Though Srinivasan did not issue a public reaction, the fact that the BCCI was a rattled house became clear as soon the contents of the court hearing rolled out. Three of the five board vice-presidents- Ravi Savant (West), Yadav (South) and Chitrak Mitra (East) - voiced concern, admitting that Srinivasan's exit was imminent. "At this point, it's a Supreme Court observation. If the Court passes an order to that effect, then he will have to abide by that," Savant told ESPNcricinfo. "The Board won't be able to do anything about it. As of now, it's entirely up to him to decide whether to take cognisance of the observation or wait for the order."

According to Mitra it was a matter of time before Srinivasan had to resign. "The court is yet to pass the order. But it is now up to him (Srinivasan)," he said. "The court has asked him to step down. Otherwise it will pass an order. It is not good for the BCCI." A former BCCI president said it would be prudent on the part of Srinivasan to make things simpler by not dragging the issue any further. "It has to be his personal decision," he said. The court's observations seemed to have caught the BCCI off guard. While the treasurer Anirudh Chaudhary was overseas, secretary Sanjay Patel had to cancel his trip for an Asian Cricket Council meeting and dash to Chennai to meet Srinivasan and chalk out a plan for near future.

However, even by late evening on Tuesday, not many in the BCCI were aware of what is, or, should be, the next course of action. According to the Board's constitution, if Srinivasan does quit then an eligible candidate from the South Zone will need to replace him - making Yadav the frontrunner, with Andhra Cricket Association president D Subba Rao also in the frame. Some reports suggested Srinivasan had already sounded out Yadav to be prepared to take over as the interim president. Yadav had chaired a meeting of the BCCI working committee last February, when Srinivasan couldn't attend because of personal reasons.

"I am ready to accept any responsibility," Yadav said on Tuesday. "Once the apex court passes an order, nobody can challenge it. Still, I would say let us wait for two days [until the next hearing] and then we will have more clarity and we all can react to it in a better way."

According to the clause 15 (v) of BCCI's rules and
regulations, "In case of vacancy occurring in the office of President by reason of death or by him being adjudged insolvent or by him being convicted in a criminal case by a competent Court or by resignation or otherwise, The Hon Secretary shall within fifteen days convene a Special General Body Meeting to elect the President who shall be nominated by at least one Full Member from the zone which proposed the name of the President whose term was cut short prematurely. Such person who is so elected shall hold office till the next elections."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/731111.html

Last edited:
N. Srinivasan won't step down as BCCI president, says Shivlal Yadav

srinivasan-300-courtorder.jpg

Even as the Supreme Court wants him to do so , N. Srinivasan is not stepping down as president, according to Board of Control for Cricket in India vice-president Shivlal Yadav. The BCCI will now await a court verdict on the embattled Chennai Super Kings team owner on thursday.

Yadav told NDTV on Wednesday morning: "BCCI will wait for the top court's order to decide its future course of action." Yadav, according to the BCCI's rules, could step in as president should Srinivasan quit. ( We will have to abide by Supreme Court's order, says BCCI vice-president Ravi Sawant).

On Tuesday, the Supreme Court asked him to step down to ensure a fair probe of the Indian Premier League fixing and betting scandal. Srinivasan's son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan, who was a team official of Chennai Super Kings, has been indicted by a Supreme Court-appointed inquiry committee for betting and sharing team information.

On Wednesday, Srinivasan reportedly said: "No one can force me out of BCCI. I have done nothing wrong." Pressure has been rising on Srinivasan with three BCCI vice-presidents joining former cricketers in asking him to resign and respect the Supreme Court mood.

After going through the contents of a report filed in a sealed cover by apex court-appointed probe panel, a bench headed by Justice A K Patnaik said there are "very very serious" allegations made in the report and unless the BCCI president steps down, no fair probe can be conducted. "Why is Srinivasan sticking to his chair? If you don't step down, then we will pass the order," Justice Patnaik said. The case will come up for hearing on Thursday.

In June last year, Srinivasan had decided to step aside in the wake of investigations launched into spot-fixing in 2013 Indian Premier League. Jagmohan Dalmiya was the interim chief till the time the probe was on. "My resignation will set a bad precedent," Srinivasan had reportedly said then.

http://sports.ndtv.com/indian-premi...says-n-srinivasan-wont-step-down-as-president

N. Srinivasan should be shunted out once and for all, says Lalit Modi

srinimodi640480.jpg

New Delhi: Former Indian Premier League chairman Lalit Modi on Tuesday hailed the Supreme Court's observation that N Srinivasan should step down as BCCI chief for a fair probe into the IPL fixing scandal, and said the Tamil Nadu strongman should now be shown the door from the Board once and for all.

"Kudos to the Honourable Supreme Court for taking the most decisive action to say global cricket. Finally they have shown the door to Srini," Modi wrote on his twitter page.

"Hope my colleagues in Bcci will now once and forever get rid of this M------ from Chennai who had cemented himself in all governing bodies," he wrote. After going through the contents of a report filed in a sealed cover by apex court-appointed probe panel into the scandal, a bench headed by Justice A K Patnaik said there are "very very serious" allegations made in the report and unless the BCCI president steps down, no fair probe can be conducted.

The beleaguered Srinivasan now appeared isolated even within the Board as three of the five vice-presidents --Shivlal Yadav, Ravi Sawant and Chitrak Mitra -- asked him to abide by Supreme Court's observation. Modi, a vocal critic of Srivasan, said the main task before cricket administrators now is to cleanse the game in the wake of the IPL spot-fixing scandal.

He said all those connected with India Cements,Srinivasan's compnay, should be disassociated with the game of cricket. "Big task ahead to win back the hearts and faith of the fans. Second step to rid everyone connected to india cements from cricket," Modi said. "We had lost a few battles along the way. But winning the war against fixing is the only way forward.

"Waiting for Dusshera to happen early this year after the Modern day Ravan is gone ??," he concluded.

http://sports.ndtv.com/indian-premi...-shunted-out-once-and-for-all-says-lalit-modi

Shashank Manohar calls for suspension of IPL, CBI probe of all matches

Shashank-Manoh-740.jpg

IPL fixing scandal could only be the tip of the iceberg, former BCCI President Shashank Manohar today called for the suspension of the IPL till a thorough probe by the CBI nails the culprits and the game is cleaned up.

Manohar, who was succeeded as BCCI president by N Srinivasan, was also critical of the decision to stage a part of the 2014 IPL in the UAE next month, which he says "will further tarnish the already murky waters surrounding the tournament". Manohar`s call came just a day after Supreme Court made stinging observations that Srinivasan should step down to ensure a fair investigation to the IPL spot- fixing scandal.

"The Supreme Courts observation is that there are very, very serious allegations made in the report and unless the BCCI president steps down, no fair probe can be conducted," he said.

"Considering the latest developments in the BCCI, it is my considered opinion that until the faith of the people in the integrity of the game is restored, the IPL tournament for the year 2014 should be suspended," Manohar was quoted as saying by Cricinfo.

"As regards suspending IPL 2014, the board members should remind themselves that money/profits is neither the aim nor the objective of the board. The primary duty is to promote a clean game of cricket," he added. He said in view of the serious allegations, regarding betting, spot fixing and match-fixing, the public at large has lost it`s faith in IPL games.

"I had said long back, when the scandal broke, that all IPL matches should be investigated. Only then can all the erring parties be punished and the clean-up initiated. What has been lately revealed could well be the tip of the iceberg. I feel that a thorough probe needs to be done by CBI as the canvas of the activities extends throughout the country," said Manohar who was the BCCI chief from 2008 to 2011.

"Cricket is the most popular game in India and enjoys a dedicated viewership of millions. This viewership is what generates income and fuels BCCI`s clout on an international level. If the faith of the public is not restored, the BCCI would be failing the public which has catapulted it to being the most influential player on the international scene," Manohar said.

He also voiced concern at the decision of the BCCI to hold the first leg of the IPL in UAE (after the government refused to provide security due to Lok Sabha elections) "in view of certain information regarding rampant betting and match-fixing" in that country. South Africa and Bangladesh were also considered as possible venues but the BCCI finally decided to hold the first part of the IPL in the UAE.

"Many years back, a conscious decision was taken by the BCCI to abstain from matches in the Middle East in view of certain information regarding rampant betting and match-fixing. As far as I know, that decision has not been revoked. Due to the upcoming Lok Sabha elections, the decision to shift IPL matches to the Middle East will further tarnish the already murky waters surrounding the tournament," he said.

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cri...n-of-ipl-cbi-probe-of-all-matches_783288.html

And why would you say so..??

The fact that all the teams are being investigated and several will probably be suspended for match fixing? The fact that all of the administrators are corrupt, and there have been many revelations about close links between team management and bookmaker and betting syndicate insiders even as games progress? You'd have to be very naive indeed not to figure out what was going on.

That and the sheer number of full tosses and dropped catches that would shame an U12 team of course.

The fact that all the teams are being investigated and several will probably be suspended for match fixing? The fact that all of the administrators are corrupt, and there have been many revelations about close links between team management and bookmaker and betting syndicate insiders even as games progress? You'd have to be very naive indeed not to figure out what was going on.

That and the sheer number of full tosses and dropped catches that would shame an U12 team of course.

I believe only CSK is being investigated and there arent any proposal of investigating any other team.. CSK being investigated for a completly different reason (its owner India cements belongs to BCCI president Srinivasan).... I do not know how you came up that ALL the team administrators are corrupt theory...

And regarding dropped catches or misfields, its just a t20 cricket game, anything can happen right...

Gavaskar open to interim BCCI chief role

116508.jpg

Sunil Gavaskar , the former India captain, has said that he is willing to take over the role of the interim BCCI president after the Supreme Court suggested his name as one of the eligible persons to replace N Srinivasan. Gavaskar, who is contracted with the BCCI as a television commentator, said that he was ready to give up that job and take over as BCCI president, an honorary position. At the same time, Gavaskar made it clear that he disagreed with the suggestion of former board president Shashank Manohar, that the IPL be suspended this season.

"When the highest court in the land tells you to do something, then you have no choice in the matter," Gavaskar told NDTV, an Indian news channel. "But it has to also to be put on record that I am contracted to BCCI TV to do television commentary. If after that the honourable Supreme Court tells me to do that, then quite clearly you have little choice left."

Asked whether he was willing to forsake his commentary assignments, Gavaskar said he would be "happy" to do it. "If the Supreme Court asks me to do something I will do it. There is no question about it. "I will be very happy to do it. I will just consider [it] a huge privilege and a huge honour, the Supreme Court feels I'm good enough to handle that interim job," Gavaskar said.

Despite Gavaskar being open to the position, a senior BCCI official was not confident that the former India captain had thought the issue through. "Sunil Gavaskar is a person who gets Rs 2.5 crore (US$415,000 approx.) from doing commentary. So he is a paid employee of the BCCI. As a BCCI president he will get zero. It is up to him to decide to give up Rs 2.5 crore and then come and sit as a BCCI administrator. It is a huge amount of money. I would not have done that," the BCCI official said.

According to the official, under its constitution, the BCCI could not appoint Gavaskar - an outsider - as its president. "The court wants the BCCI to make the appointment, but the board cannot make someone an interim president going beyond the terms of its own constitution. That will be violating its own rules. The only way to get Gavaskar a president is for the Supreme Court to pass an order," the official said. "The court can't make a proposal and expect the BCCI to go beyond its constitution. That will be setting a wrong precedent."

According to this official, under the board's constitution, the only eligible candidate is Shivlal Yadav, the BCCi's senior-most vice-president. The official pointed out D Subba Rao, the secretary of the Andhra Cricket Association, who is considered one of the frontrunners for the post, is not eligible considering he is not a vice- president.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/731723.html

Gavaskar to head BCCI during IPL; CSK and RR can play

Sunil Gavaskar will head the BCCI in respect of its IPL functions, and a vice-president of the board will carry out other duties, the Supreme Court has said. It also said, at the hearing of the IPL corruption case on Friday, that the IPL 2014 could continue with all teams participating.

The BCCI later said that Shivlal Yadav, the board's senior-most vice-president, will carry out the non-IPL functions. The court's interim order said employees of India Cements must have no role in the BCCI except as players or commentators. It also said Gavaskar could appoint people of his confidence, and could decide on IPL COO Sundar Raman's continuance in that role. It directed that Gavaskar should be released from his contractual obligations with the BCCI as a commentator but said he should be compensated for his new role.

"I am deeply humbled and honoured that the Honourable Supreme Court of India has entrusted me with the job of being the interim president of the BCCI till the end of IPL 7," Gavaskar said. "Like with my cricket, I will give it my best shot."

It's not yet clear what role Gavaskar will play as interim president during the IPL, given that the tournament has an established and experienced management structure in place. "The BCCI president is like a guiding force as far as the IPL is concerned," Sanjay Patel, the board secretary, told ESPNcricinfo. "The IPL has been run by its Governing Council in collaboration with the chairman and the CEO. That will continue, the management structure will remain the same." Patel, who is also part of the IPL governing council, said the only question that needed to be resolved was Sundar Raman's role. "The only issue is whether Gavaskar would like the services of Sundar Raman. That is what the court stated today," Patel said. He said he would be meeting Gavaskar soon to work out a plan.

"The court suggested that for probity, for the public perception of an investigation that if Mr Srinivasan was, as the managing director of Indian Cements, concerned with the team which was under investigation, for the time being during the investigations he should not discharge the functions. The BCCI considered this and felt that it was perfectly right and can be done and Mr Srinivasan himself made that offer," BCCI counsel CA Sundaram said.

He said the BCCI was "very, very glad" that the court had not suspended the IPL or Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals. "We were keen that all the teams should participate at this juncture, inasmuch as there has not yet been any kind of final decision as to whether the franchisees were responsible and if so what action should be taken. We felt that this was not the time to stop them from playing and for the effectiveness of the IPL all eight teams playing at this juncture was important."

The two-judge bench of AK Patnaik and Ibrahim Kalifulla made it clear that it would reserve its final judgement till all hearings are complete. The next hearing will be on April 16, when the BCCI counsel would be given the first opportunity to present his arguments against the submissions made by the CAB. According to Sundaram it will take at least a "few more" hearings to get more clarity.

The case dates back to June 2013, when the Cricket Association of Bihar secretary Aditya Verma raised charges of conflict of interest in the formation of BCCI's two-member inquiry panel into the IPL corruption issue. A Bombay High Court ruling later termed the probe panel "illegal". The BCCI and the CAB filed petitions in the Supreme Court against this order, with the CAB contending that the Bombay High Court could have suggested a fresh mechanism to look into the corruption allegations.

The Supreme Court then appointed a three-member committee, headed by former High Court judge Mukul Mudgal and comprising additional solicitor general L Nageswara Rao and Assam Cricket Association member Nilay Dutta, in October 2013, to conduct an independent inquiry into the allegations of corruption against Srinivasan's son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan, India Cements, and Rajasthan Royals team owner Jaipur IPL Cricket Private Ltd, as well as with the larger mandate of allegations around betting and spot-fixing in IPL matches and the involvement of players. The committee had submitted its findings to the court on February 10.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2014/content/story/731955.html

Srinivasan set to remain BCCI representative at ICC

169149.2.jpg

Despite having been removed as the BCCI president by the Supreme Court, N Srinivasan will continue to represent the BCCI at the ICC. He is set to attend the ICC Executive Board meeting, to be held in Dubai on April 9-10, which is likely to discuss the legal perspectives of the proposed ICC governance model, including Srinivasan's elevation as the ICC chairman.

When requested by the BCCI counsel to issue an order stating that regardless of the status of the current case, Srinivasan's position in the ICC would not be affected, the Supreme Court said it would not pass an order on the subject since it was an "internal" matter of the BCCI. "We want him to attend ICC meets, it's because of his hard work in the past few months that BCCI has been strengthened in world cricket," BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel told The Indian Express. "Even the court has not objected to Srinivasan attending the ICC meet."

According to the Supreme Court directive, no person employed with India Cements can be a part of BCCI's administration. While Patel didn't respond to a query on whether Srinivasan, the India Cements boss, will have to resign from his post to attend the ICC meeting on BCCI's behalf, another BCCI insider revealed to ESPNcricinfo the technicality that would allow Srinivasan to be the BCCI nominee at the ICC.

"Since he is the chief of the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association, the BCCI can definitely nominate him for an ICC meeting," said the insider. "This won't be against the Court order since he will not interfere in the BCCI administration in any way. He would be dealing with an external body on BCCI's behalf."

In normal practice, the BCCI president is inducted onto the ICC board and the secretary attends the ICC Chief Executives Committee meetings. The president also nominates the BCCI's representative at ICC meetings at every AGM. If Srinivasan is able to attend the April meeting, it could pave the way for him to smoothly take charge as the ICC chairman in July as a BCCI nominee. An ICC statement on February 8 said Srinivasan would take over as chairman in July.

At the moment it is unclear what will happen if the BCCI does not nominate Srinivasan, who following the court order cannot be associated with BCCI in any capacity. The constitutional amendment pertaining to the BCCI's nominee taking over as ICC chairman will have to be ratified during the ICC's annual conference in June. The only obstacle for Srinivasan would be if any of the other Full Members raise an objection citing the ongoing legal proceedings against the BCCI.

The ICC has preferred to remain tight-lipped so far. If the other boards adopt the same approach, there would be no stopping Srinivasan from heading the world governing body despite having been ousted from his home board.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/732237.html

BCCI takes out India Cements officials

31IN_TH_BCCI_INDIA_1819237f.jpg

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), in accordance with Supreme Court’s order, has taken out employees from India Cements and its associate companies from the Board.

The names include K.S. Viswanathan, Tamil Nadu Cricket Association (TNCA) secretary, who was a member of the National Cricket Academy (NCA) and New Area Development sub- committees.

The Chief Financial Officer of the Indian Premier League (IPL) K. Prasanna, the TNCA joint secretary R.I. Palani, a member of the BCCI zonal academies committee, and TNCA vice president P.S. Raman, one of BCCI’s legal consultants, have also had to step down.

M.A. Satheesh, who was in Bangladesh with the Indian team as the logistics manager for the ICC World Twenty20, was called back on Saturday after the top court’s order.

The apex court had said though that the players and commentators working for India Cements can continue in their various positions.

http://www.thehindu.com/sport/crick...ndia-cements-staff/article5854353.ece?mstac=0

The BCCI, have long been in need of a regulatory fix is no secret. On that count, the Supreme Court's direction to appoint Sunil Gavaskar as interim president replacing N Srinivasan, till allegations of wrongdoing in the highly lucrative IPL are sorted out, is a very good mark and another step to clean the dirty BCCI......

IPL 7: Top five challenges for BCCI's interim president Sunil Gavaskar

sunil_gavaskar_t20300.jpg

Sunil Gavaskar has been entrusted with the opportunity of managing a league that's taken a beating as far as it's image is concerned. He now has the responsibility of not only running the billion-dollar league smoothly but also restoring the credibility of the Indian Premier League amongst it's millions of fans. So here are 5 issues that will need urgent attention of the new BCCI-IPL interim chief :

ANNOUNCE THE FULL SCHEDULE

On Gavaskar's priority list will be to announce the full schedule of IPL 7. Till now, the 20 matches that will be played in the United Arab Emirates are known, but the fixtures, once the tournament returns to India on May 1, are still not known.

SANITISE SHARJAH

The decision to move IPL to Sharjah, a venue BCCI had themselves black-listed after the match-fixing scandal in 2000, has already raised a few eye-brows. Now to keep unscruplous elements away from the IPL will be another important task for the interim president to execute.

RESTRICT TEAM OWNER'S ACCESS

Gurunath Meiyappan has been the man at the centre of the spot-fixing scam. And to ensure that no cricket enthusiasts poses as team owners, Gavaskar will have lay down the rules about who is an owner and who's not, who can sit in the dug-out and who can't. Access to players have to be controlled.

DECIDE ON SUNDAR RAMAN

IPL Chief Operating Officer Sundar Raman is under the scanner on various issues -- from allegedly passing insider information which aided and abetted betting in the last season to safeguarding the interests of Chennai Super Kings during the spot-fixing investigations. What must be done with Mr Raman? Based on the Supreme Court's directives, this is a tricky one for Gavaskar. Will he bell the cat? Sundar Raman is known to be a close ally of ousted BCCI president N. Srinivasan.

KEEP SRINIVASAN AT BAY

Number 1 on Gavaskar's priority list should be to make the functioning of the IPL more transparent and free from the control of Srinivasan. It's an open secret that the Chennai strongman enjoys great support within the BCCI and the IPL management. To ensure the president in exile doesn't remote control what's happening in the billion dollar league, the Indian batting legend will have to rule with an iron fist.

http://sports.ndtv.com/indian-premi...es-for-bccis-interim-president-sunil-gavaskar

Government wants BCCI to ensure IPL-7 is clean

The Union sports ministry has categorically told the BCCI to ensure that the seventh edition of the IPL is a clean event.

In a letter, the ministry has said it has no objection in giving clearance to the board's proposal of conducting matches overseas but "the responsibility to deal with betting and match-fixing will rest with BCCI". Sources in the ministry told dna on condition of anonymity that "this letter has been written in order to make BCCI aware that conducting matches in UAE could well again put credibility of the game in doubt".

This is also the first time that the government has taken cognisance of malpractice in the IPL and since the matter will come up for hearing in the Supreme Court on April 16 (the day the league starts in the UAE), the BCCI could well consider it a warning.

"The ministry has no objection from sports angle for conducting the above mentioned event at 'No Cost to Government', subject to clearance from ministry of external affairs and ministry of home affairs. BCCI may approach the said ministries directly for obtaining their clearances," The ministry has written in reference to the BCCI's letter dated March 20 asking for permission to hold part of the league in the UAE.

"We've been getting a lot of complaints. Not everyone is happy with the BCCI's decision to hold the IPL in the UAE. The government had banned the Indian team for playing in Sharjah, the hotbed of fixing. Why is the BCCI taking the league there all of a sudden? This has disappointed cricket lovers as well as the sports ministry," said a senior official. "Why has the BCCI chosen a non-regular venue for holding some matches of the IPL? They could have chosen a venue which is on the regular international calendar of the ICC."

Further, the ministry has also asked the BCCI to explain that "what mechanisms" it has put in place to ensure that unethical practices like betting and match-fixing etc. do not take place in the IPL?

It remains to be seen how the BCCI reacts to this communique from the ministry. The ministry has also reminded the BCCI to not forget to make its contribution to the National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) after the IPL.

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report-government-wants-bcci-to-ensure-ipl-7-is-clean-1975365

image.jpg

This piece of shameless creep Srinivasan is still attending ICC meeting... I can't believe he just defied SC order.... Hope he gets to pay for this :mad:

Court keeps Srinivasan out of BCCI

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/737329.html

The Supreme Court has turned down N Srinivasan's reinstatement request, and has revealed that he is one of the 13 named in the sealed envelope submitted to it by the Justice Mudgal committee. In response to the BCCI counsel CA Sundaram's argument that the court was responding only to prima facie evidence and not secondary evidence, Justice AK Patnaik for the first time revealed details about the sealed envelope. He said that there were 13 names of "very important personalities in cricket" in the sealed envelope, with Srinivasan's name being the 13th. There were 12 allegations against Srinivasan with annexures to each of them. "It seems
that Mr Srinivasan has not taken the allegations seriously," he said.

Patnaik said Srinivasan "could not come back as BCCI president as long as the probe is on." A day before the court hearing on Wednesday, Srinivasan had filed an affidavit, asking the court to reconsider its interim order that removed him as the BCCI president while the probe into the alleged corruption in the IPL was on. The court, though, reiterated that a fair probe would not be possible with him discharging any duties inside the BCCI.

It further asked the BCCI to come back to the next hearing, on April 22, with constructive corrective measures with regard to how it can ensure a free and fair probe into the IPL corruption scandal. The measures could involve a Special Investigation Team (SIT) probe or selecting its own other independent investigators, but it stipulated that the probe had to be conducted by a credible team. If the BCCI was to be given the power to investigate the matter, it had to be done without
prejudice and the mandatory condition that "Srinivasan cannot come back."

The court said that "we cannot close our eyes," but did not impose an independent probe in the matter. "We are not considering a SIT because we don't want the CBI or the police or the media to throw mud on cricketers,"

Patnaik said. "Reputations of cricketers and great names are at stake. What happens to the reputation of the players who are representing the country and Indian cricketers of the future. Cricket has to be clean but institutional autonomy has to be maintained."

There was some relief for the BCCI. Sundar Raman, the chief operating officer (COO) of the IPL, whose future was to be decided by acting BCCI president Sunil Gavaskar, was allowed to continue in his role. Gavaskar stated that he was not in a position to take a decision on Sundar as he knew him in a personal capacity and was unaware of the details of the information that investigating agencies had against Sundar.

The hearing on April 22 will also look into several matters related to the many ramifications of the IPL corruption scandal. Patnaik said the court will look into the amended clause in the BCCI constitution that allowed Srinivasan to own a team in the IPL as well as him being sent as a board nominee to ICC meetings. There is also a possibility that G Sampath Kumar, the Chennai police officer whose deposition formed part of the Mudgal committee's report, will be asked to depose before the court on April 22. The details of his deposition were found in Mudgal committee member Nilay Dutta's additional comments to the main report. Dutta is a member of the Assam Cricket Association. Deccan Chargers may also be introduced as part of the arbitration pertaining to the matter of their resurrection.

The court will also appoint an amicus curae , a lawyer who is not part of the case, to report to them about the existence or otherwise of transcripts and recordings of the depositions to the Mudgal committee. So far it is understood that the court has been provided with minutes of the 52 interviews conducted by the panel in the course of its investigation. The BCCI's counsel had previously contested the Mudgal committee's findings and had requested for the tapes the findings were based on.

The case dates back to June 2013 when the Cricket Association of Bihar secretary Aditya Verma raised charges of conflict of interest in the formation of BCCI's two-member inquiry panel into the IPL corruption issue. A Bombay High Court ruling later termed the probe panel "illegal". The BCCI and the CAB filed petitions in the Supreme Court against this order, with the CAB contending that the Bombay High Court could have suggested a fresh mechanism to look into the corruption allegations.

The Supreme Court then appointed a three-member committee, headed by former High Court judge Mukul Mudgal and comprising additional solicitor general L Nageswara Rao and Dutta, in October 2013, to conduct an independent inquiry into the allegations of corruption against Srinivasan's son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan, India Cements, and Rajasthan Royals team owner Jaipur IPL Cricket Private Ltd, as well as with the larger mandate of allegations around betting and spot-fixing in IPL matches and the involvement of players. The committee had submitted its findings to the court on February 10.

Supreme Court rejects BCCI's proposed panel to probe IPL scam, asks Mudgal committee if it can help

http://sports.ndtv.com/indian-premi...ejects-bccis-proposed-panel-to-probe-ipl-scam

On a directive from the Supreme Court, the BCCI had named former Test all-rounder Ravi Shastri and former judge Jai Narain Patel in a three-man panel to investigate the IPL scam. The Supreme Court has rejected the three-member Board of Control for Cricket in India panel that was proposed to investigate the Indian Premier League 2013 scam. The cricket fraternity was divided over the selection of former Test all-rounder Ravi Shastri, ex-Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court Jai Narain Patel and former CBI boss RK Raghavan by the BCCI. The court had last week directed the Board to suggest a committee that could investigate the 2013 Indian Premier League spot-fixing and betting scandal. Thirteen names, including that of suspended BCCI president N. Srinivasan, figure in an inquiry committee report submitted to the apex court.

The Supreme Court has now asked Justice Mukul Mudgal whether he will be able to probe the scam with the help of investigators. In February this year, the Mudgal committee had submitted a report to the court after a four-month probe. Mudgal has to reply by 2 PM today.

Meanwhile, on a petition from BCCI, the Mudgal committee has provided the audio tapes of its conversation with Srinivasan, Mahendra Singh Dhoni and IPL COO Sundar Raman. Dhoni's name has been linked with the scam and the Indian captain had deposed before the Mudgal panel. Both Srinivasan and Dhoni were questioned by the Mudgal panel on the exact role of Gurunath Meiyappan, who has been indicted for betting and sharing team information. Gurunath, who was a Chennai Super Kings team official, is the son-in-law of Srinivasan.

BCCI's panel is facing conflict of interest questions. While Shastri is on the pay-rolls of the BCCI, Patel is related to BCCI's vice-president and current interim head, Shivlal Yadav. Raghavan is secretary of a club affiliated to under Tamil Nadu Cricket Association. Srinivasan is the president of TNCA. On a court directive and under pressure from a section of the Board, the BCCI held an emergency working committee meeting in Mumbai on Sunday afternoon to pick a panel. The Board members took almost three hours to decide three names. The Board proceedings were quite acrimonious, according to sources.

BCCI's list ran into heavy weather with two former BCCI presidents slamming the choice of the panelists. Former BCCI president Shashank Manohar opposed Shastri's inclusion, saying he was a paid employee of the Board and was on more than one important IPL committees.

Shastri, who is commentating in the ongoing IPL in UAE, is known to be close to Srinivasan. Manohar, who represented Vidarbha Cricket Association, said the former Test all-rounder's choice was thus a clear case of conflict of interest.

Manohar objected to Raghavan's name as well but the former CBI boss prevailed on votes. Raghavan, who headed the CBI during the match-fixing inquiry in 2000, was one of the 52 people who deposed before the Justice Mukul Mudgal committee.

On Monday evening, former BCCI president Sharad Pawar echoed Manohar's sentiments and went a step further. Pawar objected to Justice Patel's selection saying he was Yadav's brother-in-law . It was yet another case of conflict of interest, said Pawar.

There is pressure on the Supreme Court from the petitioner's counsel to order a CBI or NIA probe into the IPL scam. Last week, the Supreme Court indicated that it wanted to protect the BCCI's "autonomy" by ordering an independent probe. But at the same time the judges added "if compelled, they may even hand it over to the CBI."

Indian Premier League Will be Free of Controversy, Hopes BCCI

Mumbai: The Indian Cricket Board (BCCI) on Saturday stopped short of confirming if paceman Morne Morkel was approached by a suspicious element in the UAE leg of the IPL and remained confident that the current edition of the T20 league will not be hit by any off-field controversy.

There were reports that after being approached by a suspicious person, Kolkata Knight Riders' South African pacer Morkel had alerted the Anti-Corruption and Security Unit of the IPL.

Asked about the same at the IPL Governing Council meeting here, BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said they are awaiting a detailed report.

"The anti-corruption unit will take care of the matter and their periodicals will come. It is always part and parcel of the governing council discussion. We are awaiting their detailed report, if there is anything. They are independent to work, ICC and BCCI anti-corruption unit," Patel said.

Sunil Gavaskar, the interim BCCI President for IPL affairs, said the meeting was to take stock of what happened in the United Arab Emirates leg.

Gavaskar had earlier said he wanted the people to remember this IPL only for cricket and asked how he can ensure that, the batting legend said, "The human nature being what it is, nobody can give any guarantees. We have put some measures in place and certainly the way the UAE leg went, it has given us some confidence, if it carries on the same way we will have this India-leg also free from any off-field controversies."

"That is what we are hoping for. I believe that the presence of the integrity officers is evidently a big plus. It is a big plus because earlier anybody could call in case there were any approachers but I don't think people were confident about it,now the integrity officer travels with every team. So the younger player or the most susceptible sometimes, is the uninitiated player. We have given them all the education that is necessary," Gavaskar added.

"Without the education education programme, you will not be allowed to participate in IPL. Even the replacement players have to undergo the education programme, only after which they can participate in IPL. We are taking all those measures and we are encouraged by what has happened in UAE," Gavaskar said.

Asked if it was right to conduct the matches in UAE, which has had troubles in past with spot fixing and betting, Gavaskar was quick to defend the decision saying," If you go by that logic then you should not have matches in India, because even in India there has been issues of match fixing.

"Two or three people who have compromised should not blacken the name of the entire fraternity. Similarly there have been instances in the UAE (in the past) but they have not even been proven. So without that proof having been there, it is just a perception.

"I don't think it is fair to besmirch the name of a country. UAE has been magnificent in the way they have made all the efforts. The co-operation that the anti-corruption unit of BCCI as well as the ICC got from the UAE police authority, UAE government, it was stupendous to say the least."

Gavaskar also expressed his satisfaction over the pitches in UAE.

"It was important to have good pitches. If you get good cricket pitches, you get good cricket. I am hoping over here also it would be the same. Generally, because we are coming to end of the season, the pitches can be a little bit tired. Therefore we might not always get a great cricket pitch.

"Pitches in UAE were very well balanced. New ball bowlers would get something, batsmen could play their shots. One of the reasons for some of the small scores from team were simply that the boundaries were longer. We are cognizant of the fact that we need good cricket pitches and hopefully the message has gone to all the centres," he added.

Asked about the compensation package that would be paid to the franchises for the shifting of some of the matches to UAE, Gavaskar said, "It will be once the IPL is over that is when we will know exactly. We have to take into account all the considerations of all the factors, the expenses."

IPL Chairman Ranjib Biswal dismissed reports that the Chennai eliminator game could be shifted to Mumbai.

The MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai is scheduled to hold the first Qualifier on May 27 followed by the eliminator the next day.

The second qualifier is scheduled at the Wankhede Stadium here on May 30 and will be followed by final match at the same ground on June 1.

http://sports.ndtv.com/indian-premi...league-will-be-free-of-controversy-hopes-bcci

Back