Ballarat Cricket Association 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ballarat Cricket Association 09/10

Waka05;375095 said:
Bring on 18 1 day games, 50 overs a piece, play each team twice home and away, proper second chance finals, maybe even a best of 3 Grand Final.

Good call Waka.

P.S Nicho, after your finished raking the oval this week pop around to my joint, have some leaves to tidy up. Cheers

Wow! Where did that piece of randomness come from?

Actually with a bit if research I see you're a junior from North Metro Cricket Association who plays for Keon Park (wherever the f**k that is), you live in South Morang and apparently you reckon Keon Park under 15s are pretty stong this year but they have lost some big names from last year.

Good luck with that, Chief!

SteveO;375123 said:
Wow! Where did that piece of randomness come from?

Actually with a bit if research I see you're a junior from North Metro Cricket Association who plays for Keon Park (wherever the f**k that is), you live in South Morang and apparently you reckon Keon Park under 15s are pretty stong this year but they have lost some big names from last year.

Good luck with that, Chief!
Probably should have done some background checks on matty hydens friends Steve!!! And the 12 year walks down the pitch and goes whack!

I like the idea of only playing one day matches. It should definately be in effect in the lower grades (3s, 4s, 5s), where teams batting out their 80 overs is an achievement in itself and games are often finished roughly at the tea break on day 2.

The Lionshow;375103 said:
Bring on 18 1 day games, 50 overs a piece, play each team twice home and away, proper second chance finals, maybe even a best of 3 Grand Final.

Cant believe i am agreeing with you waka but this would seem a pretty good idea having 50 over games. Keeps everyone doing something in the days play and you get a home and away system that isnt flawed by only playing a few sides twice.

Would just have to clarify what we could wear as a one day uniform.... They are very tough on this. Just ask DCC.

[/QUOTE]

Sh*t that would have been hard to type there Show! Not many people agree with me at the best of times, wife included!!

The more I talk to blokes about reformatting the comp to 1 day games the more support/aggreeance I'm getting. I made the comment to a few blokes last night after training (and a few quiet ones) that in my 10 years at our club it seems ever increasingly difficult to field our best sides each week for both weeks of the game and they agreed. I think it's probably fair to say that, and correct me if I'm overstating, generally our lives are getting much busier than they were 10-20+ years ago and cricket is no longer the be-all that it once was?

Listening to the old blokes around the place they tell me that they'd spend more time at the cricket club, and probably footy aswell, than they did at home 20 years ago which was accepted back then. Now that just doesn't happen and we lose blokes frequently who want to play but just can't find the time.

We have 6 blokes only available 1 of the 2 weeks this round which can be worked around with the 12 player rule but when 4 of them could/should be in the same grade it makes it tough. I'd love the BCA players/clubs to do what SteveB has reminded us to do in lobbying for a change. With enough support we can make anything happen in the BCA, it's just a matter of doing it.

Waka05;375152 said:
Cant believe i am agreeing with you waka but this would seem a pretty good idea having 50 over games. Keeps everyone doing something in the days play and you get a home and away system that isnt flawed by only playing a few sides twice.

Would just have to clarify what we could wear as a one day uniform.... They are very tough on this. Just ask DCC.

Sh*t that would have been hard to type there Show! Not many people agree with me at the best of times, wife included!!

The more I talk to blokes about reformatting the comp to 1 day games the more support/aggreeance I'm getting. I made the comment to a few blokes last night after training (and a few quiet ones) that in my 10 years at our club it seems ever increasingly difficult to field our best sides each week for both weeks of the game and they agreed. I think it's probably fair to say that, and correct me if I'm overstating, generally our lives are getting much busier than they were 10-20+ years ago and cricket is no longer the be-all that it once was?

Listening to the old blokes around the place they tell me that they'd spend more time at the cricket club, and probably footy aswell, than they did at home 20 years ago which was accepted back then. Now that just doesn't happen and we lose blokes frequently who want to play but just can't find the time.

We have 6 blokes only available 1 of the 2 weeks this round which can be worked around with the 12 player rule but when 4 of them could/should be in the same grade it makes it tough. I'd love the BCA players/clubs to do what SteveB has reminded us to do in lobbying for a change. With enough support we can make anything happen in the BCA, it's just a matter of doing it.[/QUOTE]

There are definately downsides to purely one-day matches though Waka. I think that you will find that it involves lower order batsmen a lot less. Bowlers who bat a bit (or think they can can a bit) won't want to sign up to a full summer of cricket to bowl 9 or 10 overs each week and never really bat. It is not worth the subs which will surely go up in price due to more cricekt balls being used by each club.

I realise that there are problems from week to week to field teams for 2 week matches but if you effectively take one aspect of the game away from the guys who bat down the order a bit then i think that the selection issues if anything will become worse.

Just my thoughts on a full 1 day season.

There are definately downsides to purely one-day matches though Waka. I think that you will find that it involves lower order batsmen a lot less. Bowlers who bat a bit (or think they can can a bit) won't want to sign up to a full summer of cricket to bowl 9 or 10 overs each week and never really bat. It is not worth the subs which will surely go up in price due to more cricekt balls being used by each club.

I realise that there are problems from week to week to field teams for 2 week matches but if you effectively take one aspect of the game away from the guys who bat down the order a bit then i think that the selection issues if anything will become worse.

Just my thoughts on a full 1 day season.[/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying Shakes, both formats have many positives and negatives. I was thinking about it before the game yesterday and thought about the blokes who bat 9/10/11 for example. As it turned out our boys batted well and only lost 7 wickets for the day (1 of which was the very last ball), so 9/10/11 didn't do a thing all day. This happens all the time across the grades and teams that blokes don't get to do anything from week to week. Now as a bowler yourself who can bat but may not before 9 would you like to sit on the outer all day without a chance to contribute?

As I said both formats have their good and bad points and we could go through them for ages. I'd like to see more one day cricket at the very least, how we could go about that I don't know. I might have a look around the traps at other competitions and see how they do it to maybe drum up some ideas and ideal scenarios.

Only 60 days to go Shakes.............

Start of investigation......

- Bendigo & District Cricket Association also have 10 teams in their grades.
- They play a 14 Round season which includes 9 Two Day Games (play each team once), and 5 One Day Games.
- They do play 1 Sat/Sun game to fit it all in and their season start/finish dates are the same as ours, Xmas break included.
- Their Semi Final is a Sat/Sun game just like ours
- Their Grand Final is a Sat/Sun 2day Game, with the Sat/Sun the following week as a reserve.
- They have their own website which they built from scratch which is for all of you playing at home - Bendigo & District Cricket Association
- Each week scores get input by the clubs into the BDCA website in what looks like (and I mean absolutely no disrespect to Dipper who I think has done a great job of Cricketstatsonline) a slightly more user-friendly database and a little more informative.
- Their 1st, 2nd, 3rd & U/17 XI's play on turf, we still can't get all of our 2nd XI games on turf in Round 4!
- This one is a blatant shot at Don, their website is easy to read, easy to use, and very easy to navigate to where you want to be. It also has all of the relevant info and easily accessible forms etc for download when required, unlike the BCA site which is just simply a mess.
- We've seen their rep sides, they play professional, they look professional, they're run professionally. We all know the feelings of our rep players and how they're treated.

Now this is just what I can get from the website and a quick chat to one of the BDCA board representatives who to me seemed very passionate about the association and it's clubs/players. He tells me that they feel that they get more things right than wrong, obviously opinions may differ from the clubs, but generally it's pretty positive. Just taking one look at their website, harping on it I know, but that tells me they are a professional outfit and everyone that I've spoken to about them backs that up. Where do we go from here for our association? Thoughts?

Waka05;375790 said:
Start of investigation......

- Bendigo & District Cricket Association also have 10 teams in their grades.
- They play a 14 Round season which includes 9 Two Day Games (play each team once), and 5 One Day Games.
- They do play 1 Sat/Sun game to fit it all in and their season start/finish dates are the same as ours, Xmas break included.
- Their Semi Final is a Sat/Sun game just like ours
- Their Grand Final is a Sat/Sun 2day Game, with the Sat/Sun the following week as a reserve.
- They have their own website which they built from scratch which is for all of you playing at home - Bendigo & District Cricket Association
- Each week scores get input by the clubs into the BDCA website in what looks like (and I mean absolutely no disrespect to Dipper who I think has done a great job of Cricketstatsonline) a slightly more user-friendly database and a little more informative.
- Their 1st, 2nd, 3rd & U/17 XI's play on turf, we still can't get all of our 2nd XI games on turf in Round 4!
- This one is a blatant shot at Don, their website is easy to read, easy to use, and very easy to navigate to where you want to be. It also has all of the relevant info and easily accessible forms etc for download when required, unlike the BCA site which is just simply a mess.
- We've seen their rep sides, they play professional, they look professional, they're run professionally. We all know the feelings of our rep players and how they're treated.

Now this is just what I can get from the website and a quick chat to one of the BDCA board representatives who to me seemed very passionate about the association and it's clubs/players. He tells me that they feel that they get more things right than wrong, obviously opinions may differ from the clubs, but generally it's pretty positive. Just taking one look at their website, harping on it I know, but that tells me they are a professional outfit and everyone that I've spoken to about them backs that up. Where do we go from here for our association? Thoughts?

Question for Stevo or other Pointies: What is the go with Ash Gun wanting a clearance to Creswick/Imperials?

napisan;375833 said:
Question for Stevo or other Pointies: What is the go with Ash Gun wanting a clearance to Creswick/Imperials?

Very good question. He has found himself in trouble recently, made some bad choices. I thought he was moving to Geelong but this clearance is a bit out of left field, maybe Sven can shed some light on the issue.

Gee I wish I knew. A different sort of fella. His reason for leaving was he'd be able to get a lift to games with his mates. And yeah, he has got himself into some strife recently. We heard about it when we were down at the Masters watching the Tiger.

no camping;377288 said:
What is the draw for all games?

BCA Twenty/20 Cup Round 1
Tuesday 1 December 2009 --- 5.30 pm start
1. Brown Hill v Wendouree at Brown Hill (P. Mackay)
2. Mt. Clear v Ballarat/Redan at Mt. Clear (2) (J. O’Brien)
3. North Ballarat v Napoleons/Sebastopol at Wendouree West (R. Gay)
4. Lucas v Golden Point at Victoria Park (4) (I. Hardy)
5. Buninyong v Coronet City at Buninyong (no Umpire)

BCA Twenty/20 Cup Round 2
Thursday 3 December 2009 --- 5.30 pm start
6. Winner 1 v Winner 2 (M. Bayly, P. Mackay)
7. Winner 3 v Winner 4 (J. O’Brien)
8. Winner 5 v lowest margin loser (R. Gay, I. Hardy)

BCA Twenty/20 Cup Semi Finals
Tuesday 8 December 2009 --- 5.30 pm start
9. Winner 6 v Winner 7 (I. Hardy, P. Mackay)
10. Winner 8 v lowest margin loser (M. Bayly, Gay)

Interested in other peoples' thoughts:

Should there need to be a minimum number of overs completed in the day for ordinary conditions to apply, otherwise call the day off, render the scores null and void and play a one-dayer the next week ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back