Bat size.

Simbazz

Bat size.

Now I'm a big man, I'm around 6"2 (and still growing may i add) and i'm looking for a new bat.

Firstly, may i ask the question as to what bat Andrew Flintoff uses, now i know its the Woodworm, but size wise. It looks a lot shorter than a traditional bat, and looks perfect for my batting.

Could anyone help?

Re: Bat size.

Full size. I'm a bit smaller than you and I will probably get a full size at the start of the season. Especially if you are still growing, you don't want to buy a small mens bat and then have to buy a new one in a few months.

I'm around 5'10 and I use a full size bat, so if you're 6 foot plus you should definitely be looking at a full size one.

As far as I'm aware he uses a full size bat.

I do use a full size bat but its in the late 2lb's.

I just wanted to know because I have seen many clips and docs about him and he looks to have a smaller bat than most, especially the older woodworms he has used.

I may try to find a nice light bat, because at the moment a heavy bat is weighing me down. In the past i've done well with one, but my emphasis on ball distance is now minimul and gaining scores is priority.

The guy is 6 foot 4 or something and pretty beefy so the bat may look small when in his hands. Looking at photos and comparing the bat to the stumps etc then I'm 99.9% sure that it's a full size blade.

For people of his (and your height) I really can't the see the point in having anything smaller than full size as you'd find it increasingly difficult to deal with yorkers and balls that kept low, unless you compensated by having a longer handle. (Just my two pence worth there).

You should have plenty of options when choosing a lighter bat but I'd strongly suggest road testing a few to make sure it's what you really want.

i had my bat made by county, the same guy who makes flintoffs bats. He was making two for him when i had mine done last year. They are full size with a SH. Nothing too out of the ordinary i dont know the exact weight but it certainly was not light!

Simbazz, this season I moved to a heavier bat than I've had before and it's taken me a while to get used to it but it feels really good now that I've played with it a bit more. My advice would be to leave it a while and see if you still think the same then.

To be honest, i think its just the bat which is getting the blame for a few bat games, each edged, so i'm just finding some blame :laugh:

I'll see once i get out of this patch, i might go for a GM bat maybe next season.

On the other hand, give your bat to a team mate and they'll score big and claim it's the best bit of willow they've ever used.

The keeper in my team used to have this Puma bat. First game of the season he scored a great 32 (great score in context of the game) and then for the rest of the season scored below 5 every other match for the season. He claimed he had a faulty piece of wood, I don't think anyone believed him but it was a good try :laugh:

faulty wood! thats great, however our opener will only use my newbury! he swears by it! and scores runs with it

I had a mate last season who played for out team (has moved down the road now as its easier for him to get there) and he used my bat and got decent scores. Is it something mentally which causes other people to use your bat and get good knocks?

Well I guess if he thinks and believes that his bat is bad and he will never score any runs with it, then he won't score runs with it because he has mentally set himself to fail. But I suppose if the person tries a different bat, the expectation to fail because of the bat is lifted and so he can play his normal game again, i would think.

I used heavy bats but from last season switched to lighter bat and it is working wonderful for me.
Now i can play a variety of shots and even my back is not at pain :p
Size-SH.
Sorry weight is not checked.
I have selected bats keeping two things in mind:
1) Feel of the Bat i.e. comfort level while handling.
2) Brand name of the bat.

So go for a bat which suits Ur style and comfort while handling the bat.

Jonesy said:
Well I guess if he thinks and believes that his bat is bad and he will never score any runs with it, then he won't score runs with it because he has mentally set himself to fail. But I suppose if the person tries a different bat, the expectation to fail because of the bat is lifted and so he can play his normal game again, i would think.

Something like that! Also, you need to factor in the law of sod.

Virendersingh.berthwal said:
I have selected bats keeping two things in mind:
1) Feel of the Bat i.e. comfort level while handling.
2) Brand name of the bat.

So go for a bat which suits Ur style and comfort while handling the bat.

Top advice!

Back