Best Competition So Far!

Bakes 2010

I have seen that our competition is getting stronger. We have more players of higher calibre and we are also getting players from overseas, that are very talented. Are we taking over Sub district cricket? I believe we are now, and believed we were 3 years ago.!!! Thoughts?

I have seen that our competition is getting stronger. We have more players of higher calibre and we are also getting players from overseas, that are very talented. Are we taking over Sub district cricket? I believe we are now, and believed we were 3 years ago.!!! Thoughts?

Getting there Bakes, in terms of quality we are probably comparable. The only thing that Sub district cricket has in its favour is that it covers more of Melbourne.

On standard of cricket alone i reckon we have them covered our relegation/promotion system keeps the senior div very strong and the other divisions very competitive which subbies dont have the difference from top to bottom is massive, just need to update some of our rules like over/field restrictions in one dayers, catch up lost games (which we started last yr) and bonus points and i reckon we could claim no.1 suburburn comp..

On standard of cricket alone i reckon we have them covered our relegation/promotion system keeps the senior div very strong and the other divisions very competitive which subbies dont have the difference from top to bottom is massive, just need to update some of our rules like over/field restrictions in one dayers, catch up lost games (which we started last yr) and bonus points and i reckon we could claim no.1 suburburn comp..

We're left in the dark ages with the lack of field restrictions in one dayers. Surely that must be changed (says the batsman).

45 over one dayers 15 over field restriction 9 overs a bowler.. would be perfet but i cant see it happening..

That would be awesome. Is there any way of lobbying the VTCA. I mean, surely they would like to ensure they remain the best suburban comp in Melbourne. Maybe an online petition?

That would be awesome. Is there any way of lobbying the VTCA. I mean, surely they would like to ensure they remain the best suburban comp in Melbourne. Maybe an online petition?

I think that a field restriction should be implemented. But I could see the problems that would arise. Lines not being marked for the inner circle. And some captains would struggle to get their heads round the feilding restrictions, let alone some of the umpires. But I think you are right bigfish. It would improve our game and bring the cream to the top. I don't see it fair that bowlers can bowl as many overs as possible and they can put 3 blokes on the leg side boundary in the first over to shut down boundary options to the bats that are good enough to play across the line. Lets not forget the reason 1 day cricket was introduced. It was to bring an exciting form of the game to people who loved cricket. I'd watch Adam Gilchrist till the cows come home. The bowling restrictions would also be great. In the days of youlden parkville being in senior division, Skate would bowl 20 and give them a chance. If he was only allowed 9 then that would leave them vulnerable. I personally would love the one dayers to follow the theme of district and sub district in the rules and even using a white pill and coloured tops. Of course without the proviso that we have to use the vtca's selected company. There are always ways to improve and as long as the competition is endeavouring to do this and has the nouse to listen to the people that make it ( the players ) then we will be heading in the right direction. A petition could be the way to go

I think that a field restriction should be implemented. But I could see the problems that would arise. Lines not being marked for the inner circle. And some captains would struggle to get their heads round the feilding restrictions, let alone some of the umpires. But I think you are right bigfish. It would improve our game and bring the cream to the top. I don't see it fair that bowlers can bowl as many overs as possible and they can put 3 blokes on the leg side boundary in the first over to shut down boundary options to the bats that are good enough to play across the line. Lets not forget the reason 1 day cricket was introduced. It was to bring an exciting form of the game to people who loved cricket. I'd watch Adam Gilchrist till the cows come home. The bowling restrictions would also be great. In the days of youlden parkville being in senior division, Skate would bowl 20 and give them a chance. If he was only allowed 9 then that would leave them vulnerable. I personally would love the one dayers to follow the theme of district and sub district in the rules and even using a white pill and coloured tops. Of course without the proviso that we have to use the vtca's selected company. There are always ways to improve and as long as the competition is endeavouring to do this and has the nouse to listen to the people that make it ( the players ) then we will be heading in the right direction. A petition could be the way to go

two seasons ago premier cricket did that (put a petition out) it was done online and open to everyone and anyone involved in the competition. They had some around 800 hits and it covered everything from starting times, overs, restrictions, balls, uniform etc.. the results were used straight away to decide the structure of the following season.. The VTCA would be silly not to go down the same road the results might surprise them..

I totally agree with all of the above points! I can see the fielding restrictions being a headache for all involved, but bowling restrictions are a must! Would certainly test the depth of all clubs' bowling. As for coloured clothing and white balls, this would be an extremely exciting implementation by the VTCA and would provide the association with that little bit of professionalism that I think it lacks. In saying that, my club enquired about coloured clothing for the Twenty20 tournament through Primary Edge (VTCA supplier), and they are quite expensive! They also ask for a minimum order of 25-30, which is a bit much I believe, as they are not a 'social' shirt. Maybe there does need to be some sort of petition to ensure the VTCA do something about all of these points... and also subsidise some of the coloured clothing!

I totally agree with all of the above points! I can see the fielding restrictions being a headache for all involved, but bowling restrictions are a must! Would certainly test the depth of all clubs' bowling. As for coloured clothing and white balls, this would be an extremely exciting implementation by the VTCA and would provide the association with that little bit of professionalism that I think it lacks. In saying that, my club enquired about coloured clothing for the Twenty20 tournament through Primary Edge (VTCA supplier), and they are quite expensive! They also ask for a minimum order of 25-30, which is a bit much I believe, as they are not a 'social' shirt. Maybe there does need to be some sort of petition to ensure the VTCA do something about all of these points... and also subsidise some of the coloured clothing!

The VTCA cant force anyone to use Primary Edge. We are not franchises of the league so while they say you have to they cant legally force you.. we use a seperate supplier at mckinnon and have not had any issues..

The VTCA cant force anyone to use Primary Edge. We are not franchises of the league so while they say you have to they cant legally force you.. we use a seperate supplier at mckinnon and have not had any issues..

Have other clubs found this to be the case?

I'll put a petition up in the next 24 hours and see what happens...

We used Primary Edge for our clothing (both for training, home and away and 20/20) and I, nor any member from my club, would recommend them to anyone. Infact, I would gladly go from club to club, telling them why they should steer clear of such an unprofessional and unorganised company. Not only is the quality of their product crap, they, as a company, cannot deliver on what they promise. They show you one product and then give you something totally different (not what you ordered) and expect you to take it. They also cant even keep to a time frame.

Because the owner of Primary Edge is on the board of Cricket Victoria, the VTCA think that by getting in bed with them, it will be of benefit in the long term. Well I am here to tell every club in this competition to STAY AWAY. You may as well get you Nanna to make you creams, whites or colours, as I am sure she will at least deliver on what you ask for.

If the VTCA try to enforce any such rule (that clubs use Primary Edge), I will be the first one showing you all why you should not.

I will also tell you all that the VTCA tried not to disclose why Primary Edge was the preferred supplier. The VTCA tried to say it was because they wanted uniformity. Well I can tell you it was I believe, because the VTCA, received a % of every Club purchase. It wasn't until a few clubs, including ours (even though we used them) publicly questioned the monopoly the VTCA tried to give them.

In short, STAY AWAY from Primary Edge and if the VTCA try to rule otherwise, I, like Big Fish, will petition against any such rule (and between you and I, like DStrek15 said, legally, the VTCA cannot place a mandate on Clubs to buy through Primary Edge) and remember folks, WE USED THEM!

Yet another crack at the VTCA Matt. Not for the first time, and once again inaccurate. One would have thought that as secretary of your Club you would be a little more responsible, you do them no favours !
Would hope that the brief you put together on those you nab is a little more accurate on fact than your continual incorrect allegations against the VTCA - my guess - Bentleigh may have a fair bit of travelling to do next Season.

Sniffing around , Your obviously extremely defensive on this subject, I have dealt with Primary Edge this season, i 100% agree with lifemember. If he is inaccurate with his comments, can you explain why it would be compulsary to use there clothing???, Are you saying there is no benefit to the VTCA, and if there is, what benefits do the clubs get from it, I did a lot of research before last season and Primary Edge where by FAR the most expensive of all the companies I spoke with, so not only are we paying a premium, the quality was 2nd rate at best, with your comments about Bentleigh travelling next season, It shows why the VTCA will NEVER be the premium competition, You people have to start listening to the clubs, listening to all the comments in this thread. These blogs have made more sense than any decision the VTCA have made in years. You obviously cant take any criticism and your comments in your thread are a disgrace.

Yet another crack at the VTCA Matt. Not for the first time, and once again inaccurate. One would have thought that as secretary of your Club you would be a little more responsible, you do them no favours !
Would hope that the brief you put together on those you nab is a little more accurate on fact than your continual incorrect allegations against the VTCA - my guess - Bentleigh may have a fair bit of travelling to do next Season.

Nice way to get personal Sniffin. And even nicer to make threats against a Club.

Back