Oz/Kiwi Sport

Your blokes are in this up to their neck as they are second on the most wickets in the power play list.

We are in as much early trouble as were the Black Caps. A not very auspicious debut for Philippe.

I wrote this on WP mate.
Most of the Black Caps WTC points came from winning at home. Their veteran pair Boult and Southee know how to decimate opponents on their decks in all formats.

Pete no offence but this Hagley Oval needs one or two more boutique stands for the poor suffering spectator. It is lacking atmosphere at present.

Ish Sodhi is a good leggie but not to the extent our blokes are making him look.

Woeful by the Black Roos. letting the Black Caps walk all over us.

Last edited:
Craig, had a couple of neighbours from across the road drop in while I was watching your blokes bat, they don't follow cricket so tended to yak a lot making it difficult for me to concentrate on the game, I'll check out the game again for the parts I missed.
Thought Conway was outstanding yet again, with the rubbish start we had didn't think we'd post a score like 185... yeah, your fellas didn't perform that well, but must have been very difficult for them as they only just come out of quarantine yesterday.

Yeah mate, the Hagley Oval surroundings look a bit grotty, could definitely do with building a few more stands to get a bigger crowd in there.

I wrote this on WP mate.
Most of the Black Caps WTC points came from winning at home. Their veteran pair Boult and Southee know how to decimate opponents on their decks in all formats.
Not so much about our decks mate, much more to do with the late swing they can get through the air.

Yeh meant to write in their conditions mate. They are two outstanding swing bowlers at home as our blokes found out. Some leaden footed striking by some of our better known white ballers.. guess that is the reason they dont play Test cricket.

Coming from quarantine is no excuse. Most recently finished 60 games of BBL.

Last edited:
Yeah, was up to your more experience players to step up, which then gives the younger blokes more confidence.

Fair point about the quarantine mate, clear you have a heap of talent in your squad though... expecting a real ripper in the 2nd one in Dunedin.
Really looking forward to seeing Sangha bowl mate.

C1..jpg
2nd 20/20
NZ v Aussie {University Of Otago Oval, Dunedin}
Thu 25th Feb - 2pm {NZ Time}

A day game. We need to make changes but our selectors will go in with the same bunch of duds.

Pete I did tell you that I follow underage kids in Tassie and WAussie red ball Premier (club) Cricket/League. There are two 17 year old Tassie boys that have scored 200 this summer. One was Daniel Sartori who is in this game the other is Louis Smith. I sent you the link so you can see how Smith is a class above his team mates. This kid makes batting look so easy.

Last edited:
Louis Smith looks to be an outstanding prospect Craig... has excellent footwork & balance at the crease, all the shots too & very secure in defence.

Yeah, reckon you need to make a few changes as well mate - as do we by dropping a badly out of form Guppy, don't want Santner in the 11 either... but coaches & selectors tend to make too many poor selections & stick with the same starting teams for too long, so there probably won't be any changes to either team.

Badly outa form Guppy is back in form courtesy of some generous stuff from our bowlers. Santner probably won the match for the BCs.. he, Trent Boult and Neesham.

A bit of a thriller in the end Pete. Your death bowling was the difference.

Yes mate Louis Smith looks a natural. Perhaps another Greg Chappell. Big call I know as it is very early days in his cricket journey.

With all the chances Guppy was given Craig by our conservative coach he was going to fire at some stage, very lucky he wasn't dropped ages ago... yeah, Santner went well, he's a funny gawky type of player, hope he doesn't play in test matches from now on though.

Was a thriller mate, reckon bowlers need to get the ball really full at the death, yorker type length... which is what Boult & Neesham did, especially Boult who did it brilliantly, thought NZ bowled a lot of crap too mate, can't believe it that bowlers from both sides are silly enough to bowl short stuff or just short of a length to batsmen at the death who are looking to smash them out the park every ball.

Louis Smith would be a huge plus in your top 6 down the track mate if he ends up as good as Greg Chappell... Martin Crowe use to say Chappell was probably his favourite batsman.

can't believe it that bowlers from both sides are silly enough to bowl short stuff or just short of a length to batsmen at the death who are looking to smash them out the park every ball.
Bewildering Pete. Jamieson was the main culprit. Embarrassing. A couple of our blokes also fed Guppy far too often. Yes the best bowlers were those that changed their pace or bowled yorkers at the death. Best for mine were Boult and Kane Richardson. I had Richo dropped at the start of this game.

Jamieson isn't bowling well at all... maybe earning that ridiculous amount of money for IPL crap {almost 3 million bucks} has made him lose a bit of focus ? it shouldn't do though with the excellent mindset & skills he's shown early in his test career.
Exactly mate, it's a mixture of yorkers & also slower balls that are the most effective in the last few overs.
Yeah, Kane Richardson bowled well Craig... Philippe is a very good batsman, but in the 20/20 format he's doesn't really have the power in his batting to really put the opposition under a lot of pressure, compared to blokes like Stoinis & Sams.

Philippe is a very good batsman, but in the 20/20 format he's doesn't really have the power in his batting

Correct Pete. Stoinis and Sams muscle balls to and over the rope.. Philippe caresses them. Most of his boundaries come from a great eye and timing.

When and where is game 3 mate.

Yeah, Philippe has great timing - but I reckon if he'd batted all the way through with Stoinis don't think you would've been in a position in the last over of having a chance to win the game.
Here's the game info mate... this one is played in Wellington, mid-week game though so probably won't be able to go to Sky Stadium to watch it,
would've been much better for me if the match had been played on the weekend.

C2..jpg
3rd 20/20
NZ v AUSSIE {Wellington, Sky Stadium}
Wed 3rd March - 5pm AEDT {7pm NZ Time}

Why the long delay between games. A bloody joke. Could have fitted in a Test match. What a bummer you wont see it live Pete. I expect changes this match for us. I am jettisoning Finch and Maxwell. Can not afford to carry passengers in any form of cricket. Stoinis just scrapes in. But that knock was his one in five good hits. Last chance for March and Wade. Bringing in Ben Mac and Darcy Short/Ashton Turner.. either add a spin option.

Last edited:
Just doesn't make any sense to have to wait so long until game 3... yeah, they could've easily slotted in a test or at least they should've scheduled 3. 20/20's & a test match.

Bit of a pain it's on a Wednesday, would really have liked to have watched it live at the stadium - but good we can both have a yak during the game about the players etc... reckon Finch might do a Guppy & get a big score in the Wgtn game, yeah stoinis can be a bit erratic, but can rip any attack apart, agree you need to make a few changes, but your blokes are going to be really dangerous mate knowing they need to win to keep the series alive.

Last edited:
Yeh Eden Park dumped with next two in your home town Pete...Wed and Fri.. again no weekend for you to go see it live. Nothing beats a good yak during games mate. Any doubtful starters for your blokes.

Back