Oz/Kiwi Sport

The A game will be another obvious draw. Young pushing towards his century. Is he likely to make his debut Mal?
May take a squizz at the AB/Windies T20 later. oops Black Caps.. :oops:

Last edited:
Young deserves to be given a crack Richie, but you never know what coaches are thinking... going to visit some rellies soon so hope I'm back in time to at least see some of the 20/20.

May not miss much as rain has delayed play Mal. Where is it being played. Yeh I tend to think Young deserves a crack. At the very least the BC batting needs some new blood as outside Williamson and Taylor it has not exactly set the world on fire in past five years.

Last edited:
Was played at Mount Maunganui in the North Island - managed to see most of the 20/20 at the rellies, unfortunately they had the sound turned down with everyone talking... had a short burst of rain, so didn't lose any overs.
We beat the W.I. comfortably scoring 238 for 3 & knocked them over for 166 for 9.

Conway scored 65 not out & Phillips got 108, also Young is performing well so we have some pretty good depth in the batting at the moment.

Was played at Mount Maunganui in the North Island - managed to see most of the 20/20 at the rellies, unfortunately they had the sound turned down with everyone talking... had a short burst of rain, so didn't lose any overs.
We beat the W.I. comfortably scoring 238 for 3 & knocked them over for 166 for 9.

Conway scored 65 not out & Phillips got 108, also Young is performing well so we have some pretty good depth in the batting at the moment.
Yeh Mal a good win by the Black Caps. The A match was a batathon. Not sure with that deck the bowlers got anything from it. Are any of the Kiwi A bowlers in the Test squad. If so poor preparation.
The Aussies took the series from India . Good signs for the Test series knowing you have your opponents down on confidence going into a hard Test series.

Was certainly a road Richie - so no chance of getting a result in a 3 day match... there's no bowlers from the A team in the test squad.

Unfortunately because of injury Santner got a callup to the test squad, the bloke is good in white ball cricket because he doesn't have to bowl that many overs & he's pretty effective using his changes of pace... he shouldn't be playing test cricket though as he can't spin the bloody ball.

Yeah, confidence means a lot in sport mate... with your blokes winning the ODI series you have good momentum going into the tests.

Was certainly a road Richie - so no chance of getting a result in a 3 day match... there's no bowlers from the A team in the test squad.

Unfortunately because of injury Santner got a callup to the test squad, the bloke is good in white ball cricket because he doesn't have to bowl that many overs & he's pretty effective using his changes of pace... he shouldn't be playing test cricket though as he can't spin the bloody ball.

Yeah, confidence means a lot in sport mate... with your blokes winning the ODI series you have good momentum going into the tests.
:thumbsu:

How the heck Santner keeps getting the nod baffles me beyond belief Mal. Surely there are superior tweakers in Plunket Shield. What about Sodhi. Windies traditionally are poor players of spin .. specially wristies.

Yeah, don't understand it either Richie, just sounds like bias from the coach... some good news though Conway got a callup to the test squad.
They reckon they didn't want to give Sodhi a crack because they think he bowls too many loose deliveries... reckon that's rubbish, you need a spinner that's able to attack with spin in tests matches, instead we have Santner who is only a containing bowling.

Yeah, don't understand it either Richie, just sounds like bias from the coach... some good news though Conway got a callup to the test squad.
They reckon they didn't want to give Sodhi a crack because they think he bowls too many loose deliveries... reckon that's rubbish, you need a spinner that's able to attack with spin in tests matches, instead we have Santner who is only a containing bowling.

Pleased for Conway but losing Watling is a big blow for the BCs mate. He is a very good cricketer. Selectors must then feel Conway's keeping is up to scratch.
All wristies are attacking bowlers so naturally will give away more runs than finger spinners but will bag you more wickets too as a rule. I am hoping that once Lyon gives it away that our selectors replace him with a wristie.

Would like to see Conway make the starting 11 too - yeah, Watling will really be missed Richie, keeping & batting.
They reckon they're going to move Blundell to keeper where he has played most of his cricket for Wgtn & probably have either Conway or Young opening with Latham, I'm fine with those changes.

Exactly mate, wrist spinners are always going to turn the ball much more, very difficult to bowl it accurately though... shows you how brilliant Shane Warne was, he could turn the ball square & be deadly accurate most of the time too.

Is there no room for both Young and Conway? Blundell can do some late damage at #7 I reckon.. without the pressure of opening.

Only room for one of them - personally I'd drop Taylor who's near the end of his career so we could play both of them... yeah with Blundell playing down the order it certainly takes the opening pressures off him.

Richie - They're going to open with Young... disappointing that Conway gets dropped from the squad.

C9..jpg
1st Test
Thu Dec 3rd
Seddon Park, Hamilton - 11am {NZ time}

NZ (from) : Kane Williamson (captain), Tom Latham, Will Young, Ross Taylor, Henry Nicholls, Daryl Mitchell, Tom Blundell, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Kyle Jamieson, Neil Wagner, Trent Boult.

WEST INDIES (from) : Jason Holder (captain), Kraigg Brathwaite, John Campbell, Darren Bravo, Shimron Hetmyer, Jermaine Blackwood, Shamarh Brooks, Roston Chase, Rahkeem Cornwall, Shane Dowrich, Keemo Paul, Shannon Gabriel, Chemar Holder, Alzarri Joseph, Kemar Roach.

Hey your series starts today Mal. I will have a squizz definitely. Perhaps we can post together in the breaks if not working today.
Young with the nod over Conway.. will please you being a Wellingtonian.
Windies will be stronger with addition of Darren Bravo mate.

Wet outfield . At least a session lost Mal.
BlackCaps sent in on a very grassy deck. Young gets a life and is trapped in front next ball. Must be daunting for a debutant being
expected to take the shine off the ball when you have not even opened in domestic red ball. Selectors have erred picking him there IMO.

Last edited:
Mal I do get annoyed when I see a r/a quick waste his advantage by going round wicket rather than across the lefty to open his spell. Too much white ball influence.

Windies bowlers were far too short. Wasted the new ball. Needed to make batsman play more.
Williamson and Latham will now make them pay for for their looseness as the deck dries and becomes better for batting.

Last edited:
Giday Richie... we can post between breaks tomorrow if you are available mate ?

Unfortunately some of the bad habits in bowling & batting from white ball cricket are transferred over to the tests... yeah, W.I. bowlers needed to get the ball fuller & with more accuracy.
We have certainly punished them mate with Williamson & Latham putting on 154 so far for us to be 243 for 2 at stumps.
Thought we should've kept Blundell at opener & eased Young into the test by playing him down the order.

Giday Richie... we can post between breaks tomorrow if you are available mate ?

Unfortunately some of the bad habits in bowling & batting from white ball cricket are transferred over to the tests... yeah, W.I. bowlers needed to get the ball fuller & with more accuracy.
We have certainly punished them mate with Williamson & Latham putting on 154 so far for us to be 243 for 2 at stumps.
Thought we should've kept Blundell at opener & eased Young into the test by playing him down the order.
Possibly going to brothers place today Mal. His doc is telling him in an hour whether safe to have visitors. Have not seen him for a month. If not yes mate lets post and chat between breaks.

A poor bowling display. Compare this attack to those of the 80s.. the likes of Marshall, Holding, Garner and Roberts. I expect Williamson to continue his brilliance today and grind the Windies into the dust..al la Smith last Ashes.

Hope your brother is ok Richie.

Our pitches are pretty flat, even with rain at the start & sweating under the covers the ball still didn't seam around much at all.
Yeah, was very poor bowling by the Windies - on our pitches they need to get it full to try & swing it, they don't really swing the ball that much... also bowl back of length or bounce us, still has to be done with accuracy, they're giving us too much width.

Williamson is great at playing with soft hands which saved him a couple of times yesterday from getting caught in slips.

Pete I am unavailable between midday and say 2. Brother has been put on antibiotics but we are still meeting for lunch.

Yeh mate the best batsmen like Williamson play late and with soft hands. I am tipping a double from him today. May make that a triple. He looks to be in a canter doubling his overnite score in that morning session.

Last edited:
Back