Bryce McGain

Re: Bryce McGain

Mousey;320893 said:
Haddin was 30 when he debuted, had previous ODI experience and was a solid performer over a number of years.

I have no opinion on the McGain matter, but I just wanted to clarrify this.

Same with Macgill, he was still picked though and he was 37 or something.

Age shouldn't be taken into account when an older player is 1000000 times better than a younger player.

He would make the world cup easily. I recon play him and at the end of the world cup retire him from ODI's. After the world cup we can then continue to develop spinners. Who knows someone decent might have come along by then. I don't recon we should jeopardise a world cup buy not playing him. If we are to win we need a spinner and no one else is good enough to get us the cup.

Age doesn't matter so much with spinners like it does other types of cricketers. Murili is still going, Warne could be but isn't and is still playing IPL and Harbajan and Vetori will go forever.

The Australian side should be THE BEST side. Not anything else, it should be the best side avaliable.

gbatman;320999 said:
He would make the world cup easily. I recon play him and at the end of the world cup retire him from ODI's. After the world cup we can then continue to develop spinners. Who knows someone decent might have come along by then. I don't recon we should jeopardise a world cup buy not playing him. If we are to win we need a spinner and no one else is good enough to get us the cup.

Age doesn't matter so much with spinners like it does other types of cricketers. Murili is still going, Warne could be but isn't and is still playing IPL and Harbajan and Vetori will go forever.

The Australian side should be THE BEST side. Not anything else, it should be the best side avaliable.

Completely agreed Gbatman.

Just becuase they are in a rebuilding phase dosen't mean classy old players such as Mcgain should not be left out of the side for a worse but younger player.

Usually I'd agree with you guys, and I'm a big fan of McGain, but on this matter I disagree. I think this next phase of Australian cricket is about rebuilding. To rebuild we can't have 37 year old debutants. To rebuild you have to play players who have promise but need some experience. Where else for a player to build up to an international standard than in international matches? ODIs especially. Play a young spinner in the one day squad and get him up to a good standard. Two years of experience would give a talent more than enough time to get him ready for the World Cup.

If McGain was 33 I'd consider it, but 37 is too old for me.

Mousey;321107 said:
Usually I'd agree with you guys, and I'm a big fan of McGain, but on this matter I disagree. I think this next phase of Australian cricket is about rebuilding. To rebuild we can't have 37 year old debutants. To rebuild you have to play players who have promise but need some experience. Where else for a player to build up to an international standard than in international matches? ODIs especially. Play a young spinner in the one day squad and get him up to a good standard. Two years of experience would give a talent more than enough time to get him ready for the World Cup.

Thank god someone agrees with me, thought I was crazy for a second.

And thats the point I'm trying to make 30-33 is different to 37, those 4-7 years are huge.

breeno;321113 said:

And thats the point I'm trying to make 30-33 is different to 37, those 4-7 years are huge.

Doesn't matter, pal. Selectors go with the best and in this case it is B McGain.:)

DoubleO7;321116 said:
Doesn't matter, pal. Selectors go with the best and in this case it is B McGain.:)

Never said they didn't, all I'm saying is that I don't agree with that theory.

breeno;321118 said:
Never said they didn't, all I'm saying is that I don't agree with that theory.

Neither do I, but the selectors are blind stupid people that only care about the present and don't think about the future. That is the reason Australia are in this mess, well, to certain degree responsible.

DoubleO7;321120 said:
Neither do I, but the selectors are blind stupid people that only care about the present and don't think about the future. That is the reason Australia are in this mess, well, to certain degree responsible.

Couldn't have worded it better myself. Seems my argument is actually gaining weight.

If he's fit, bowling well and can help us win in SA/the Ashes then I think he should be selected with either Hauritz or Kezja.

ODIs are completely different of course with an eye on the next WC.

Mousey;321107 said:

But with all the spinners in the country bar Mcgain averaging 50 in domestic cricket I find it hard to find a spinner with promise mousey. I think if Mcgain is the best he should be played ATM then when the time comes around that he retires then they can find a spinner at the present time who has improved or pick a new bloke who comes through the ranks. There is no logic in picking Krejza or Huaritz now, sure they may be young but I would prefer a spinner who may actually do some good for the team in the short term than someone who will be rubbish in the short term but the whole country "HOPES" he will improve in the long term but the sad fact is these guys have been on the scene for 2-3 years now they obviously will not cut it.

DoubleO7;321120 said:

As I have already pointed out to Breeno, the main reason Australia is in this mess is because they have no depth in domestic cricket. Other teams don't have this probelm because they have good depth:
example - When Murali retires he will be replaced with Mendis
example- Shaun Pollock retired and was replaced with Albie Morkel in odis
example- Kumble will retire soon and will be replaced with mishra.

As compared to Australia:
Langer retires- replaced with Jaques which was good but Jaques has been injured since.
Warne retires- is replaced with Macgill who retires, replacement still looking.
Hayden retires- Lets hope someone fills the void.
Gilchrist retires- Is replaced by Haddin who is not a terriic replacement but he is the only option.

This is what got Australia in to this mess.

breeno;321113 said:

if it was a batsman or a fast bowler i'd agree, but it is a spinner and he is the best australia have, spinners in the past have played well past 40 just look at clarrie grimmett one of the best spinners australia have ever had and he didn't play for australia till he was in his mid 30's, though mcgain is no where near the standard of these bowlers though he is the best in the country

grapedo;321238 said:
As I have already pointed out to Breeno, the main reason Australia is in this mess is because they have no depth in domestic cricket. Other teams don't have this probelm because they have good depth:
example - When Murali retires he will be replaced with Mendis
example- Shaun Pollock retired and was replaced with Albie Morkel in odis
example- Kumble will retire soon and will be replaced with mishra.

Langer retires- replaced with Jaques which was good but Jaques has been injured since.
Gilchrist retires- Is replaced by Haddin who is not a terriic replacement but he is the only option.

The reason Australia are in this mess is because they couldn't look to the future with stars like the Warne's and Langer's holding a place in the team. As Mousey said, the more they think about the present, the more screwed we will be in years to come.

Also I believe the only deficieny in our FC system is spinners. But there are some young promising ones who should definitely be included in ODers.

grapedo;321238 said:

Katich and Jaques are the replacements for Langer and Hayden. Both have proved they can mix it with the best.

Haddin has played pretty well so far, IMO.

Oh, and McGain should be picked for the SA tour, for sure.

breeno;321336 said:
The reason Australia are in this mess is because they couldn't look to the future with stars like the Warne's and Langer's holding a place in the team. As Mousey said, the more they think about the present, the more screwed we will be in years to come.

Also I believe the only deficieny in our FC system is spinners. But there are some young promising ones who should definitely be included in ODers.

Agreed but there were lots of contributing factors to Australia's decline and the ones we have mentioned are only some. I think they should have not waited for players to retire when the time is right, like when Phil Jaques was hitting all the runs in domestic cricket, Langer should have been shown the door then and when Hilfenhaus was in terrific form in domestic cricket the year tassie won Mcgrath should have gone, and when Stuart Macgill was in form and healthy Warney should have been shown the door it would have been a much smoother transition but I agree with what your saying Breeno just not the whole Mcgain part that's all.

Ok McGain will easily make the world cup and be playing good cricket. That being the case he is not too old to debut.

One thing is for sure we need a spinner to win the world cup. No decent spinner = no world cup. McGain is the only spinner good enough to be that player. Hauritz is ok but will never be quite good enough.

Haddin is a keeper/batsmen and can not be compared to McGain who is a spin bowler. Batsmen and keepers finish much earlier than bowlers. Pace bowlers finish earlier than spin bowlers.
It's all to do with how much is physically required of their game, reaction time, eye sight and footwork.
Things not all important to a spinner. Age doesn't deteriorate spinners games as much as other players

Back