Bryce McGain

Re: Bryce McGain

grapedo;321418 said:
Agreed but there were lots of contributing factors to Australia's decline and the ones we have mentioned are only some. I think they should have not waited for players to retire when the time is right, like when Phil Jaques was hitting all the runs in domestic cricket, Langer should have been shown the door then and when Hilfenhaus was in terrific form in domestic cricket the year tassie won Mcgrath should have gone, and when Stuart Macgill was in form and healthy Warney should have been shown the door it would have been a much smoother transition but I agree with what your saying Breeno just not the whole Mcgain part that's all.

McGrath should have been replaced by Hilfenhaus and Warne should have been replaced by MacGill?? I can't believe this for a second.

Even at the end of their careers they were still far better bowlers than Hilfenhaus and MacGill. You need to pick the best players that are available regardless of age.

Let's not panic now that Australia are not winning every game. No team can stay at the top for ever. The Aussies have dominated world cricket for the last 10-12 years. They are also not that far off the mark. There was only a couple of poor sessions in the test matches that cost us.

McGain has just got 3/48 off 8 against Tasmania with some classic leg spinning deliverys, really turned the ball and drew the batsmen out. He looked about 85-90%. Also Peter Siddle got 4/27 off 7. Very good figures from players that should be in the ODI side.

There were stages last night against NZ where we desperatly needed a spinner and we bowled White and Clark who bowl pies. That wicket would have spun a bit too for McGain.

Time to get McGain and Siddle in, Hilfenhaus has the potential but hasn't the skills and White isn't good enough.

gbatman;322579 said:
McGain has just got 3/48 off 8 against Tasmania with some classic leg spinning deliverys, really turned the ball and drew the batsmen out. He looked about 85-90%. Also Peter Siddle got 4/27 off 7. Very good figures from players that should be in the ODI side.

There were stages last night against NZ where we desperatly needed a spinner and we bowled White and Clark who bowl pies. That wicket would have spun a bit too for McGain.

Time to get McGain and Siddle in, Hilfenhaus has the potential but hasn't the skills and White isn't good enough.

Everyone seems to forget about Siddle when it comes to the 50 over format. Why is this ?

I seem to recall him taking a lot of wickets in the Ford Ranger last year...

fmr_13;322753 said:
Everyone seems to forget about Siddle when it comes to the 50 over format. Why is this ?

I seem to recall him taking a lot of wickets in the Ford Ranger last year...

I definatly haven't forgotten Siddle, he WILL be in that side eventually. Hopefully sooner rather than later, I recon he's our best seamer.

DoubleO7;321640 said:
No surprise there. These selectors are pathetically predictable

Bit nervous are we?

SA havent played against a leg-spinner for some time, and we all know how much they like the leg-spinners dont we? :D:D

As I said earlier I wouldnt play him in ODIs, however should the world cup come around and he is still playing tests then he may get a callup at the last minute if no one else claims the spot before then

But at 37 he should not be playing both forms of the game at international level if they want to get the most out of him as a test player

bare in mind that he hasn't had 15 years of cricket up until now, he's been sitting behind a desk for most of it! granted this doesnt make his body like a 22 year old, but does shave some years off, in terms of a cricket shelf life. and he's a spinner to boot, not that stressful!

When was the last time SA played against a legspinner?

Anil Kumble early in 2008, even though he mainly got his wickets through bounce and wronguns rather then any noticable leg spin?

I have always felt SA struggle with the ball spinning from leg to off.

lol mcgain is doing his best to make sure he isn't selected for the 1st test in the tour game, making krezja look very economical- 5 overs 1-36, mostly long hops and near full tosses one which was mishit to give him his wicket

Back