Cricket Brain Teaser

La Gecko

Cricket Brain Teaser

Alright guys, here is a little brain teaser.

How is it possible for a square leg umpire to give LBW?

I've gotten some very strange ideas from my teammates but would like to think what you guys think...

It is possible, or so I was told but it is a very technical matter and one of my teammates say that it isn't possible due to this technicality.. but lets see what you guys get....

Re: Cricket Brain Teaser

La Gecko;353833 said:
Alright guys, here is a little brain teaser.

How is it possible for a square leg umpire to give LBW?

I've gotten some very strange ideas from my teammates but would like to think what you guys think...

It is possible, or so I was told but it is a very technical matter and one of my teammates say that it isn't possible due to this technicality.. but lets see what you guys get....
Square Leg is standing at the Non-Strikers end (i.e. the umpire is out of position).

G Sorrentino;353834 said:
Square Leg is standing at the Non-Strikers end (i.e. the umpire is out of position).

I'm not gonna give away the answer until later, but I would like to know what you mean by he's out of position? he just randomly standing at the non-strikers end having a conversation with the other umpire when the ball is bowled?

La Gecko;353835 said:
I'm not gonna give away the answer until later, but I would like to know what you mean by he's out of position? he just randomly standing at the non-strikers end having a conversation with the other umpire when the ball is bowled?
More or less.

Hhhmmmmmm interesting idea. I'll give you a hint:

The square leg umpire is a REGULATION square leg umpire

La Gecko;353840 said:
Regulation meaning on leg side 90 degrees square of the on strike batsman when the ball is bowled.
I've umpired, can't happen. Is the square leg umpire the third umpire as well?

G Sorrentino;353841 said:
I've umpired, can't happen. Is the square leg umpire the third umpire as well?

Okay I've looked at the OFFICIAL rules according to the Lords website and it IS possible.

No the square leg is not the third umpire as well

No where does it mention the Square Leg Umpire.

1. Out LBW
The striker is out LBW in the circumstances set out below.
(a)The bowler delivers a ball, not being a No ball

and (b) the ball, if it is not intercepted full pitch, pitches in line between wicket and wicket or on the off side of the striker's wicket

and (c) the ball not having previously touched his bat, the striker intercepts the ball, either full pitch or after pitching, with any part of his person

and (d) the point of impact, even if above the level of the bails
either (i) is between wicket and wicket
or (ii) is either between wicket and wicket or outside the line of the off stump, if the striker has made no genuine attempt to play the ball with his bat

and (e) but for the interception, the ball would have hit the wicket.

2. Interception of the ball
(a) In assessing points (c), (d) and (e) in 1 above, only the first interception is to be considered.

(b) In assessing point (e) in 1 above, it is to be assumed that the path of the ball before interception would have continued after interception, irrespective of whether the ball might have pitched subsequently or not.

3. Off side of wicket
The off side of the striker's wicket shall be determined by the striker's stance at the moment the ball comes into play for that delivery.

© Marylebone Cricket Club 2003

Hehe It's not in that rule that confirmed the answer.

I have also edited one of my previous posts as I stated something wrong about the circumstances in which this scenario takes place... have a look it will give you a hint.

No no 90 degrees square batsmen is either point or square leg but as i stated the umpire is on the leg side so is at the square leg position. He gives the batsmen out when in the REGULATION square leg position as is the position in international cricket games.

Word Games........This is not a cricket quiz. Its all words. The umpire could be off the field and give it out.

Some serious questions next time please.

G Sorrentino;353850 said:
Word Games........This is not a cricket quiz. Its all words. The umpire could be off the field and give it out.

Some serious questions next time please.

Giving up already? The umpire is on the pitch... I'll say it one more time. The umpire is at the REGULATION position.

go to youtube find a cricket video where they display the square leg umpire in an international cricket match, THAT is where the square leg is when he gives the batsmen out LBW.

You'll need to come up with a tougher question than that!! - Answer;

No appeal to central umpire for LBW on last ball of over,
Umpires change positions for next over,
BEFORE bowler commences his run up an appeal is made,
The central umpire who was officiating for the delivery, who is now at the strikers end will consider the appeal and make a decision.

Back