Cricket security control.

crookers

Having moved to QLD from Sydney I was eagerly looking forward to attending matches at the Gabba.

Game 1. My first encounter with this ground as a 60yo was to have my back pack confiscated because it had two parts and could have hidden confiscated items. Well I was pleased to find out that my back pack had this ability as I had great difficulty fitting my usual food/water supplies for the day in any of the cramped departments. OK, it was a Test match and I didnt really care. I just wanted to see the game and would carry my egg and lettuce sambos and drink beer instead of water. (Yes even mid strenghth XXXX) Despite assurances that my bag would be returned I suspect that a member of the security staff is currently enjoying its many compartments. Not to worry loved the ground and the game so let it be.

Game 2. Weet Bix (YES WEET BIX) Sheffield Shield v NSW. Joined the 475 people with little to do and eagerly awaited another match at this wonderful venue. Mistake. I had a small plastic esky(with the egg and lettuce and water) that could be a MISSILE !(one had been thrown in the history of QLD cricket) So every person who dared to carry such a weapon would have it confiscated in future.

OK you guys have crossed my line. Dont bother telling me they are the rules and it is not me .... You are just doing your job I know.... Picture the scene as I have no doubt you have all been there and yes I asked to see THE SUPERVISOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well as I placed the offending item on the ground the supervisor arrived accompanied by two security guards(why do they call them guards? I would prefer the term hitmen) and I asked wether they were carrying weapons which embarrassed all concerned and to which they were unable to respond. Thought I would try and reason with these non thinkers and explained that my binoculars were indeed a dangerous misile and the esky was a powderpuff. Needless to say they couldnt see it(sorry guys) but the esky had to go.

OK lets overlook all this and behave like I should. Why not enjoy the game on the padded seats of the outdoor Gabba "corporate boxes" since they look like they have never been used and not one seat was occupied.

"Not here you dont mate. You will sit on the hard seats and enjoy it or I will get the security guards." No please dont, I think they might have guns. Could I ask? if I am not allowed to sit in this area why it is not roped off? "Dont make smart ass comments to me mate. I am just doing my job"

I could go on and on and on but I am still trying to find my little dangerous esky and now understand why QLD is the police state.

QLD Cricket you have a bit of work to do to say the least.

Back