Dvca - How Do We Make It Better - A Bigcricket Going Forward Forum

Re: DVCA - How do we make it better - A BigCricket going forward forum

a twenty20 comp in a month you would play one on a Thursday and the next on a Sunday on the second week of a match (two games per month). Use it to promote juniors so have at least 7 players under 21 or 23 and the rest open age, clubs could use this as a fundraiser event. Coloured clothing/ club polos could be used with a white ball possibly 65m boundaries i know we did that for an intra club and made over the fence on the full 9 runs but thats becaus eour ground is massive.. just some ideas thrown up there i dont know what you guys think about it let us know

When are Diamond Valley clubs going to wake up? HDCA U17 20/20 Grand Final, Montmorency and Greensborough are playing off on Monday 22nd. 2 DVCA clubs.Why are they playing in the HDCA. Its all about Friday nights and odd age groups. I wonder if any DV club junior coordinater out there who still believes in Sat mornings Under16s has the guts to go down and ask any of these boys why are they playing 17s on Fridays. Heidelberg CC also had probably one of the best DVCA juniors in Ben Lennon playing for them in the semis as well.The HDCA U17s is an elite junior competion as Sub District and District players as well as APS and AGS boys can still play as their Fridays are cricket free. Whats the solution. Let the clubs that want to play Fridays play Fridays.You already have Blue and Teal. Now you can have Fridays odd age comp and Sat evens Comp. The main problem with clubs has been not enough grounds to enable a change. Get every club to find another ground for U12 development cricket and play it on Wednesday nights. Another ground for U12 development can be a school oval maybe, it doesnt have to be the MCG. There are plenty of grounds out there. Like someone has said previously Warawee Pk was Greensboroughs Development ground and would be used as this next season Any more suggestions?

Goliath;388650 said:
When are Diamond Valley clubs going to wake up? HDCA U17 20/20 Grand Final, Montmorency and Greensborough are playing off on Monday 22nd. 2 DVCA clubs.Why are they playing in the HDCA. Its all about Friday nights and odd age groups. I wonder if any DV club junior coordinater out there who still believes in Sat mornings Under16s has the guts to go down and ask any of these boys why are they playing 17s on Fridays. Heidelberg CC also had probably one of the best DVCA juniors in Ben Lennon playing for them in the semis as well.The HDCA U17s is an elite junior competion as Sub District and District players as well as APS and AGS boys can still play as their Fridays are cricket free. Whats the solution. Let the clubs that want to play Fridays play Fridays.You already have Blue and Teal. Now you can have Fridays odd age comp and Sat evens Comp. The main problem with clubs has been not enough grounds to enable a change. Get every club to find another ground for U12 development cricket and play it on Wednesday nights. Another ground for U12 development can be a school oval maybe, it doesnt have to be the MCG. There are plenty of grounds out there. Like someone has said previously Warawee Pk was Greensboroughs Development ground and would be used as this next season Any more suggestions?

I think there is some merit to both these points, we should look at moving to odd age brackets for junior, and by playing them (at least the 17's) on Friday nights bowlers can bowl longer spells in senior grades on saturdays.

100% BULL;388818 said:
I think there is some merit to both these points, we should look at moving to odd age brackets for junior, and by playing them (at least the 17's) on Friday nights bowlers can bowl longer spells in senior grades on saturdays.

Everything above certianly has merit and have been discussed many times amongst the DVCA clubs and junior exec.
I for one supported and pushed for this in the last few seasons on behalf of our club.

One issue that keeps coming up is the light on Friday nights.

It has been mentioned by some of our kids who have played in the u17 comps that sometimes the faster bowlers are not permitted to bowl later in games when it is getting near 8pm due to the fading light causing safety issues.
Although with all kids having to wear helmets these days and the fact that a lot of senior clubs train up to and past 8pm on thursday i cannot see why it is an issue on the majority of occasions. Obvioulsy if weather is overcast then issues will occur but these should be treated as they come up - not accepted as the norm.

The kids are becoming soft these days. Well perhaps not the kids but the officials who look after them ( from Cricket Victoria down...)

Not sure you overcome this? You cannot start much earlier than 5pm.

If we are losing 1 junior to another comp then it is too many. The change has to be done, and now so that it is not voted in for the following season but next. The executive can suss all the clubs out asap. The light cannot be an issue. Junior cricket has suffered for too long with these over protective limitations. If all the sooky parents and terrified executive members still think it is an issue then use white balls and turn whatever lighting clubs have on!

cold case;388827 said:
If we are losing 1 junior to another comp then it is too many. The change has to be done, and now so that it is not voted in for the following season but next. The executive can suss all the clubs out asap. The light cannot be an issue. Junior cricket has suffered for too long with these over protective limitations. If all the sooky parents and terrified executive members still think it is an issue then use white balls and turn whatever lighting clubs have on!

100% Agree. And I have a feeling that this will happen but not all teams/Clubs.

What we need is two comps, a Fri U14 & 16 Comps and for this that want to stay a Sat U14 & 16 comp. Its that simple, Clubs that want to stay in the past stay there. We cannot say its not working when we have clubs like NEW, LPCC, DCCC that have heaps and heaps of juniors.

I have no idea how that can not be voted in, maybe issues with U12s but I believe Wednesdays is perfect for them.

But I agree with posts above, MUST HAPPEN NOW.

Some good posts lets keep it going and spread the word that a change is needed. Concerning the light issue its not a problem. I have been to 5pm games since 2002 and haven,t seen 1 game where the fast bowlers have been held back due to light. If this is a concern I like the white ball suggestion. Odd age groups are better simply because it gives some kids another year of growing before seniors and playing against there own age group. Its also a higher standard than 16s as everyone is a year stronger and fitter. Watching some teenagers grow you can understand what I mean. If U17s and U19s are the age that states and countries play at against one another theres no reason why we cant play odds. If you want to keep even ages then maybe U18s is worth a look at. It may be a selling point to other kids from other associations that may find an extra junior year appealing. The only problem is you are creating 5 age divisions ( 12Dev,12,14,16,18) when you still would only have 4 with odd ages (13Dev,13 15 17). Easier to go to odds with the senior age on Fridays.

Cant give the executive too many things to do. One small step is a giant step for the executive. Still would need to be voted in by the clubs but could be pushed along quicker with a couple of phone calls.

Mill Park Cricket Club have been pushing the 17s for ten years now! I remember 1 meeting I was at when it was raised , the so called big clubs just laughed. We over the years have lost 40 good cricketers to Jika. This must be changed and changed asap! If the 17s were bought in 10 years ago Jika would have been a thing of the past. DVCA as kept that comp running, and weakened us in the process.

17s Friday night will bring people to the club

15s Saturday morning

12/13s Wednesday nights (breaks the week up)

Milo cricket where clubs can fit them in (Sunday mornings)?

Pretty simple really..

The Wizz;389110 said:
Mill Park Cricket Club have been pushing the 17s for ten years now! I remember 1 meeting I was at when it was raised , the so called big clubs just laughed. We over the years have lost 40 good cricketers to Jika. This must be changed and changed asap! If the 17s were bought in 10 years ago Jika would have been a thing of the past. DVCA as kept that comp running, and weakened us in the process.

17s Friday night will bring people to the club

15s Saturday morning

12/13s Wednesday nights (breaks the week up)

Milo cricket where clubs can fit them in (Sunday mornings)?

Pretty simple really..

not so sure about that!!!

but your exec certainly does need some vision.

4 piece balls are a must, odd age groups in juniors a must,

we have allday finals on a sunday for the juniors, a great idea.

why do you have no 20/20 comp? every kid in australia wants to play 20/20
you'll prob find most clubs would prefer to play a 20/20 on a tuesday than have training.

hdca had a semi final and GF of 20/20 on a sunday....nmca has a 20/20 final under lights....dvca???????????????????still in the dark ages

The NMCA exec had some vision, changed it up, a few clubs left, we'll be weaker in the short term but will no doubt bounce back....lets hope the boffins in the dvca do not make these important changes too late..

Whilst people are throwing up ideas, might chuck one of my own in. I think the days of 2 Day cricket in the lower grades is gone. My suggestion would be at the very least 2 have all cricket below D grade a 1 day comp. It`s getting harder and harder for people to commit to 2 day game of cricket, and from our club point of view we have 12 x players playing in the east Suburban and other comps simply because they can play one week and still have a game. If they have commitments on any given week, they don`t have to sit out 2 weeks. I think Barclay and Money should be 2 days for obvious reasons and also C,D grades to cater for the 3rds of those clubs. Below this I think clubs would be able to keep many more members playing cricket if it was a 1 day commitment. Thoughts people???

northmetroboy;389159 said:
not so sure about that!!!

but your exec certainly does need some vision.

4 piece balls are a must, odd age groups in juniors a must,

we have allday finals on a sunday for the juniors, a great idea.

why do you have no 20/20 comp? every kid in australia wants to play 20/20
you'll prob find most clubs would prefer to play a 20/20 on a tuesday than have training.

hdca had a semi final and GF of 20/20 on a sunday....nmca has a 20/20 final under lights....dvca???????????????????still in the dark ages

The NMCA exec had some vision, changed it up, a few clubs left, we'll be weaker in the short term but will no doubt bounce back....lets hope the boffins in the dvca do not make these important changes too late..

That is far too much foresight and innovation for our Einsteins. Venturing across Plenty Rd is too hard for them. I do like all the ideas though.
The 4 piece has to be voted in by clubs as I've said. I would think that someone at the top surely could send a memo out to clubs saying that 4 piece balls are in next year and we as a committee would like clubs to vote on what grades we use them in due to the extensive costs.

brutal;389177 said:
Whilst people are throwing up ideas, might chuck one of my own in. I think the days of 2 Day cricket in the lower grades is gone. My suggestion would be at the very least 2 have all cricket below D grade a 1 day comp. It`s getting harder and harder for people to commit to 2 day game of cricket, and from our club point of view we have 12 x players playing in the east Suburban and other comps simply because they can play one week and still have a game. If they have commitments on any given week, they don`t have to sit out 2 weeks. I think Barclay and Money should be 2 days for obvious reasons and also C,D grades to cater for the 3rds of those clubs. Below this I think clubs would be able to keep many more members playing cricket if it was a 1 day commitment. Thoughts people???

Good post and I agree, Northmetroboy said about a 20/20 comp could that work? Could it be played in the lower grades, for the guys that just want to smack the ball around and theres lots of them out there. The 4 piece ball is a must for next season for Barclay, Money, C and D grade. I think the 16/17 should be using a 4 piece as well.

brutal;389177 said:

One dayers in the lower grades should have been implemented years ago.

brutal;389177 said:

That is the worst idea I've ever heard. I play H Grade and I hated all the one day games this season, if it continues like that I probably wouldn't play, certainly already I would much rather play G Grade next season.

brutal;389177 said:

I disagree, it may be hard at your Club but the Comp has never been bigger, so the few we lose means little to nothing. What evidence is there that we a 'losing players'. If we have so many that can play, at what grounds are we playing at? More Sunday cricket? We will lose more that gain with that.

The Ox;389189 said:
That is the worst idea I've ever heard. I play H Grade and I hated all the one day games this season, if it continues like that I probably wouldn't play, certainly already I would much rather play G Grade next season.

I Agree.

If people want to play 1 day cricket there must be competitions somewhere for them. People keep bringing up a 1 day comp for the lower grades but why, other than comments show evidence and tell me how it will work and on what grounds. The comp is bigger and stronger than it has EVER been. If the one or two people that will leave unless we get a 1 say comp, to easy GO.

CowCorner;389321 said:
I disagree, it may be hard at your Club but the Comp has never been bigger, so the few we lose means little to nothing. What evidence is there that we a 'losing players'. If we have so many that can play, at what grounds are we playing at? More Sunday cricket? We will lose more that gain with that.

I Agree.

If people want to play 1 day cricket there must be competitions somewhere for them. People keep bringing up a 1 day comp for the lower grades but why, other than comments show evidence and tell me how it will work and on what grounds. The comp is bigger and stronger than it has EVER been. If the one or two people that will leave unless we get a 1 say comp, to easy GO.
Junior fixture proposals:

IF we stay evens:
12's to play on Monday nights ( as per Jika)
14 & 16's - Saturday mornings
u'18s to play Friday nights.

Odds - 11's monday, 13-15 Sat, 17's Friday.

Bowling spell restrictions to stay, but daily limits removed to apply in junior & seniors separately. ie instead 16 overs in a whole day, leave jnr at 10, and then have a new restriction 10,12...16... for the seniors. With the spell limits still in place, young bowlers cannot bowl many more than 16-20 max in the arvo anyway. Limiting them to 6-10 is too hard to manage and too restrictive on senior development

CowCorner;389321 said:

I Agree.

Well lets start by at least having one grade dedicated to 1 dayers and we will see how popular it is. Lets make it H grade for starters. If anyone is going to up stumps and walk away because they can`t play 2 dayers in H grade I would suggest that by playing that low a standard you won`t be missed.

brutal;390630 said:
Well lets start by at least having one grade dedicated to 1 dayers and we will see how popular it is. Lets make it H grade for starters. If anyone is going to up stumps and walk away because they can`t play 2 dayers in H grade I would suggest that by playing that low a standard you won`t be missed.

So cause we're crap we get discriminated against. gee, thanks. As for won't be missed, G and H grade players make up 37.5% of Diamos players, that's a fair whack of players to potentially be putting offside.

brutal;389177 said:
I believe that there is definitely merit in the idea of having a grade dedicated to one day games. However, I do not think that it should replace any existing grades, rather be a seperate grade all together, let's call it J Grade. If 11 Teams nominated for this grade then every Team could play each other twice throughout the season with the top four progressing to the finals. I am sure that there would be 11 clubs interested in entering a one day side and we could judge the success of this over two seasons.
I would not like to see two grade cricket abandoned in the lower grades. As a traditionalist, I believe the longer versions of the game still need to be protected. So let's not replace anything, rather create something new.

Back