Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

Fkn oath he was potted, he and Mick were accused of self interest rather than representing the clubs. If more club decision makers were present at the earlier delegates meeting rather than sending people just to get the book signed we would've never have got to this stage. Anyway, long time ago now and these discussions have been had before, ultimately clubs have the final say as they should

As for the thread topic, biggest challenge in making the comp better is to continue to attract quality people to the executive. Hard enough to get it at club level where people are invested. Not sure there's an easy answer
agree with everything there except the first sentence of which we won’t agree on. The rest is spot on! Thankless job regardless of the time and effort volunteers put in. Overall the comps in reasonable shape still I reckon. Always issues regarding playing numbers at clubs and once again only as strong as the number of volunteers will to get their hands dirty and chip in.

Never ever had I worn a helmet in my playing days . Are they compulsory now ?
Cricket Australia has indicated that all community cricketers (at all levels of competition) should wear British Standard 7928:2013 compliant helmets when batting, wicket keeping up to the stumps, and fielding in close.* From the 2019-20 cricket season onwards, stricter compliance with British Standard 7928:2013 compliant helmets will be required across community cricket.

* More information regarding Cricket Australia’s policy on helmet safety can be found on page 70 of the 2017-18 edition of 'Well Played' - Australian Cricket's playing policies and community guidelines.

Cricket Australia has indicated that all community cricketers (at all levels of competition) should wear British Standard 7928:2013 compliant helmets when batting, wicket keeping up to the stumps, and fielding in close.* From the 2019-20 cricket season onwards, stricter compliance with British Standard 7928:2013 compliant helmets will be required across community cricket.

* More information regarding Cricket Australia’s policy on helmet safety can be found on page 70 of the 2017-18 edition of 'Well Played' - Australian Cricket's playing policies and community guidelines.
Helmet is not compulsory to wear as senior cricketers. It says should wear not have to wear. This is not a rule or rule change. All junior cricket is compulsory however.

Confirmed as compulsory to wear a helmet for all senior cricket as of 19/20 season. Can be implemented early by the DVCA if they decide to follow other associations.

Confirmed as compulsory to wear a helmet for all senior cricket as of 19/20 season. Can be implemented early by the DVCA if they decide to follow other associations.
WoW - lucky I'm not a spring chicken playing in my prime coz I would have been forced to retire early I reckon. I dont know how you can wear those things

Cricket Victoria or Australia can do what they like, the DVCA is an independence organisation and can do what it likes. Mind you, if they want to take the nanny state route and make it compulsory, I hope they're buying for all the players who don't wear it, because there will be retirements and revolts against it. I personally wear one all the time when batting, but I fully support people's rights in not wanting to wear it. We all know the risks of cricket and all sign a document each season that states that fact. I just shudder to think what rule will be next in the name of "safety"...no bouncers perhaps?

It’s not a rule that’s coming in at all. Its a recommendation that all helmets be of a certain quality and standard. It’s still a personal choice whether you wear one or not. Compulsory in juniors yes, as it should be. It isn’t on the rules agenda for next year at all.

Everyone wears one these days anyway
So , you have tonned up with a lazy century wearing a helmet, and the opposition decides to turn to slower bowlers ( either swing or spin or rubbish cos shit gets wickets yeah?) and you want to replace the helmet with a cap coz its friggin 35 degrees outside and guess what , rules say you cant ? C'mon!!!

Last edited:
So , you have tonned up with a lazy century wearing a helmet, and the opposition decides to turn to slower bowlers ( either swing or spring or rubbish cos shit gets wickets yeah?) and you want to replace the helmet with a cap coz its friggin 35 degrees outside and guess what , rules say you cant ? C'mon!!!

That's when you try to slog-sweep one into the creek and you top edge it into your teeth!

Shit happens. Just make everyone sign a waiver advising that if they get hit whilst not wearing a helmet, they waive their rights to insurance. Simple as that

Not sure it would be entirely legal to take out insurance then have someone sign away their right to make a claim should they be injured on the field. However what does mitigate responsibility is being a member of the club (and assuming that club has insurance and is incorporated). A club member can claim against the organisations insurance if injured and incurs medical expenses, but you can't sue for punitive damages nor could you sue the directors of the organisation except for in the case of negligence.

Now, is not enforcing a helmet rule and having a club member injured or killed not wearing one a case of negligence on behalf of the club, or a matter of voluntary assumption of risk by the member? If a club was sued, it would have to defend itself in court and if you lose and are found to be negligent, insurance won't cover you and the directors are liable down to the jocks they stand in.....so like it or not, I actually think Weekend Warrior is right, it will only be a matter of time before the rule is enforced.

Has anyone heard about the DVCA enforcing a rule where any fenced boundary must be coned off 2 metres in?
3 metres and not necessarily a DVCA enforcement...

Apparently it's written into the JLT insurance guidelines that any boundary must be marked/coned off 2.74m from the fence. If this isn't done and someone cops an injury due to colliding with the fence, etc. the home club is liable for any damages.

Back