Facing Good Seam Bowling

breeno

Facing Good Seam Bowling

The other day, after hitting a cover drive for four, the next ball I was out to almost the exact same ball, bar one exception... It moved a fair bit away from me off the seam.

Any tips on facing decent seam bowling?

Re: Facing Good Seam Bowling

The only thing harder to play that good swing bowling, is probably good seam bowling. With that said, you play the two just about the same.

Make sure you're watching the ball out of the bowlers hand - try and pick up cues that may hint at whether it's an off cutter or leg cutter. That's the best way to ensure you're able to prepare yourself for any movement off the pitch. If you're having difficulty with picking up cues out of the bowlers hand, the next best move is to slightly modify your game and play the ball as late as possible. There are also other little changes you can make - i.e. looking to leave as many balls as possible, or taking guard on off and ensuring that you're getting your front pad outside the line of the stumps.

With all that said, good seam bowling is hard to face, and the best way to combat it is not to let it rule you. Be aware of the bowlers capacities, but make sure that you're always positive. Leave positively, play shots positively, and just believe that you're not going to make the mistake that gets you out. And don't forget about the ball that goes straight on!

Thanks MV the ball that got me out was a seam up delivery, just bounced off the seam. Thanks for the tip.

Watch the ball. That's probably the best adivce. Wtch the ball all the way onto the bat.

I'm a seam bowler and all I can say is, Haha.

On a serious note, I'm not sure what you could do about it.

breeno;320388 said:
Thanks MV the ball that got me out was a seam up delivery, just bounced off the seam. Thanks for the tip.

If that's the case, and the bloke has just run in, managed to hit the seem and got it to do something, your best course of action is just to forget about it. It happens. At the end of the day, if a good nut is going to get you, well... it's going to get you.

But if you're really apprehensive about it happening again, like I said, make sure you're focusing on the ball out of the bowlers hand, and play the ball as late as possible.

The simple part is this: playing seam and swing bowling requires excellent technique and some degree of luck.

The first you can get through lots of work.

micoach;320485 said:
The simple part is this: playing seam and swing bowling requires excellent technique and some degree of luck.

The first you can get through lots of work.

And remember, top class players with excellent technique tend to have more luck than the others. ;)

Watch the ball, know where your off stump is and make sure your footwork is good. Try not to get too bogged down and hit the bad ball when it's there to be hit.

A bit of luck will be involved as well but you can only control what you can control.

breeno;320254 said:
The other day, after hitting a cover drive for four, the next ball I was out to almost the exact same ball, bar one exception... It moved a fair bit away from me off the seam.

Any tips on facing decent seam bowling?

if its decent seam bowling, not much you can do unless you have exceptionally super human vision. if playing turf just try and read the length of the bowler and the how the pitch plays and get forward on it. its only called good seam bowling if its hard to play. shorter move back foot, fuller get forward. just short of good lenghth, PREY!!!

If you're only getting out to the good balls, you aren't in bad nick.
Get a long way forward or a long way back, to either negate the movement or give yourself time to play it. Similar to any movement really, its important to play the length.

i think you batted no 3 that game didnt you?? if i remember correctly, i think you only faced 10 or so balls so your eye wernt in, maybe play a little str8er early on.

Back