Fielding - Throwing Problem

Bazza, the default for the UK is a BBC masterclass with Paul Collingwood, but not sure if you would be able to open it, so try this good stuff and helpful advice on technique for power as well as accuracy. Best of luck

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum and i am 15 years old and an opening batsman. I have HUGE problems with my fielding and throwing. I cannot throw from my under 16's boundary and this weekend I am also playing for one of my clubs senior sides. I am a terrible throw and I need to know how to improve my throw. I have been told by team mates that I have a strange throwing action and apparently I have a "floppy" arm but I am not sure how to correct this action. Any ideas or help with my action?
Much appreciated

Post it in a new thread!! :D

Tony/Liz/David H and any other experts out there, what about old blokes like me? With bowling my arm holds out okay, but any attempt at getting the ball back in from the boundary causes pain, so for the most part as much as I can I throw under-arm. I seem to remember doing a drill early in the season a few years back which may have been David Hinchcliffes suggestion that I use balls of different weights, mixing tennis balls with training balls, 4.75 cricket balls and 5.5oz balls. Start with the light ones and move up to the heavier once you've warmed up and have this as part of your early season training if your have a sedentary job like me? Does that make sense and is it advisable?

Tony/Liz/David H and any other experts out there, what about old blokes like me? With bowling my arm holds out okay, but any attempt at getting the ball back in from the boundary causes pain, so for the most part as much as I can I throw under-arm. I seem to remember doing a drill early in the season a few years back which may have been David Hinchcliffes suggestion that I use balls of different weights, mixing tennis balls with training balls, 4.75 cricket balls and 5.5oz balls. Start with the light ones and move up to the heavier once you've warmed up and have this as part of your early season training if your have a sedentary job like me? Does that make sense and is it advisable?

How many throws do you do to warm up before fielding? A good technique helps - so many people try to throw entirely with their arm rather than with their legs and torso - but you have to throw regularly and you have to warm up properly every time.

How many throws do you do to warm up before fielding? A good technique helps - so many people try to throw entirely with their arm rather than with their legs and torso - but you have to throw regularly and you have to warm up properly every time.
Yeah that's the issue, I wont be throwing anything between Saturday and Saturday and then some Saturdays I wont even need to throw with any effort, so sometimes I wont have to throw with any effort for weeks potentially? I'm working on it though.

Also, improved strength works to prevent injury. Weighted rows or, if no weight available, inverted rows are your shoulder's friend.

...so many people try to throw entirely with their arm rather than with their legs and torso...
Absolutely agree! I bang on... and on... and on about correct mechanics. If you throw with your shoulder joint and do not engage your shoulder stabilisers [putting your back into it] you are going to do damage. The rotator cuff muscles are only designed for mobilisation; they cannot take the force of a throw!!

Back