Folder hangs?????

Hitterman

Folder hangs?????

Today in my D: Drive i was getting some weird peoblems. I have one of the folders named "Accounts". When i single click on it, the whole fodler hangs out and after 6 seconds it becomes selected.

And after browsing the "Accounts" folder when i click on "Back" button or "<-" , the folder again hangs.

I am not getting this problem. I have deleted all the Dead shortcuts,tried Virus-Scan,Defragmentation,Scan-disk and Registry Repair.

What should i do now? The problem is only with "Accounts" folder.
Should i format my whole Windows?
I am using Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Re: Folder hangs?????

Is the D drive an external device such as a pen drive or a DVD drive? If not, try defragmenting the drive.

No its my Local Hard drive. About defragmentation, i have already ststed above that i have done this.
Any more suggestions?
Should i Format my PC?

Yes, but did you use the windows defragmenter or a 3rd party software? The one that comes with windows is not effective.

Is the folder accessed by some 3rd party software continuously?
Are there videos/images stored in the folder?

Try this. Go to start, run, services.msc . Disable the indexing service or the windows search service.

Open the folder and show hidden files, see if there are any unwanted files.

Try opening the folder directly through a run prompt and see if it takes the same time.

This happened to me once when there was a dodgy video file inside the folder that would not preview properly. Try navigating to it through a command prompt and move any previewable (image/video) files into another folder

Which is exactly why I told him to disable indexing. That way, it wouldn't store previews and wouldn't want to show them.

You could also choose a list view of the files.

The indexing service has nothing to do with previews/thumbnails of videos and images.

In Vista indexing service and Windows search are the same thing if I remember right, so its the same function with two names.

Windows search and indexing service are related but not the same thing. The indexing service helps speed up the search process in Windows 2K or later. But either of them have nothing to do with folders displaying thumbnails of the videos or images in their icons.

No, in Vista, if the Indexing Service / Windows Search is on, it makes and stores previews / thumbnails of all videos and pictures in the areas marked for indexing.

Yes, but did you use the windows defragmenter or a 3rd party software? The one that comes with windows is not effective.

Is the folder accessed by some 3rd party software continuously?
Are there videos/images stored in the folder?
I am using Piriform Deframent Software. And yes there are Videos/Images in that folder. All the images are some small Forum buttons and logos. And the videos are .flv from Youtube.com.

And i already disabled Indexing service long time ago.

One more weird thing,i removed one subfolder from the problematic folder and then the folder became alright but the folder which i moved is still in Problem.

The thumbnail generation for the videos/images may be causing the problem. Try turning off thumbnail preview. You can find instructions here
And as I said before the indexing service is not responsible for generating the thumbnails.

If that didn't solve your problem, I'm not sure what could be the problem. You need to examine the contents of the problematic folder and find out which file(s) in particular are causing the problem. Delete or move the files one by one to a separate folder.

Why don't you just move all the files in the folder to a new one, as AB said? These are the basic troubleshooting things I would do tbh before coming to an online forum and asking for help.

Actually i did this but one folder which was causing problem is now un-deleteable folder. I have tried File shredder also to delete it. Also tried deleting the Problamatic empty folder via Safe Mode.

Any suggestions on deleting the folder?

Back