Footwork

ginger_ninja

This might seem like a stupid question but i want to know why so many coaches stress this point. Especially taking a big foot movement. I dont take a huge foot movemement but am still effective at scoring runs. Yet my coach says i should improve my footwork. Thanks.

Last edited:
They all stress that point because they were all trained out of the same textbook. Much like a middle manager in the workplace, conformity is their safe blanket and anything that falls outside of those boundaries is inconvenient, especially if successful and will either be changed or if that fails, pushed aside and ignored.

Is your footwork giving you any issues? If no, then smile, nod, assure him you'll work on it and then proceed to bat how you damn well please. If yes, then you can change your style or work with what you have. I don't take a big step forward either, but I found standing outside leg stump gets rid of the LBW shout which was the main issue with not taking a large step. But I still know, that any new coach is going to be telling me to get forward the first couple of times he sees me bat, but I'm not going through changing my whole batting stance again.

I feel mobing you feet is helpful because for exemple if i take abig step for a cover drive all my weight will be transferedand i will hit the ball harder without swing ing wildly

I think this is something of a hangover from the days when umpires just did not give LBW appeals to batsman who had thrust a pad a yard down the pitch. Such a blessing that we don't have this nonsense anymore.

Back