From Offspin To Medium Pace

Caesar

Well, I'm not techically an offspinner but the same principle applies.

As a very parttime bowler I have for many years made use of my left-handedness to bowl a bit of useful left arm orthodox spin. My problem is that as my career's progressed I've spent more time focusing on my batting. Also, my main path into the upper grade has been as a keeper/batsman so I've been working on my glovework.

The result is that my left arm spin has deteriorated while my opponents have improved, to the point that I now bowl pies that get flogged all over the place. As a result I have considered upping the speed a little to medium pace in order to obtain a bit better economy.

The problem with this is that when I try it I lose all variation to my bowling. My cutters don't cut and the batsman reads my slower ball a mile off.

Does anyone have any tips for improving this? I am not used to bowling pace and I suspect there is something with my grip that is affecting my ability to vary balls while still maintaining pace and control.

Mate, if I knew what you was on about I'd try and make a suggestion to help! It sounds like you're not convinced that you've given up on your finger spin and rather than put in the effort to get your finger-spinning working properly, you're trying to bowl faster and then fobbing it off as medium pace when it doesn't turn? If that's the case, surely you've got to commit to one or the other and put in the practice to improve one of them? I suppose then it's a case of how many spinners do you have in the team and if you're short of a Leggie, maybe look at your spinning again and get your mojo back?

I like being a spinner but the reality of the matter is I'm chucking down pies, and spinning being the art it is I'm struggling to find the time to invest in improving it. It is after all my third discipline after batting and (now) keeping.

I figured upping the pace would be an easier way to add a bit of pepper to my bowling but it hasn't really worked out like that.

Back