Grounds

CowCorner

Grounds

OK, I am bored and no one is posting on here.

So, I took my new pup for a wonder around a few grounds over the past week (yes I am still on holidays) with the rather wetter than usual season how are some of the grounds looking, especially ones that have football being played on them. Having a look at some they are looking rather muddy and/or grassless.

With the disgrace that happened in the NFL recently (FYI Mernda v Diamond Creek was shifted to DC due to Mernda ground being unplayable) IS there a possibility that we may have grounds unavailable if the wet continues.

May be a tad early but we are only around 7 - 8 weeks away from actually playing.

Re: Grounds

CowCorner;404560 said:
OK, I am bored and no one is posting on here.

So, I took my new pup for a wonder around a few grounds over the past week (yes I am still on holidays) with the rather wetter than usual season how are some of the grounds looking, especially ones that have football being played on them. Having a look at some they are looking rather muddy and/or grassless.

With the disgrace that happened in the NFL recently (FYI Mernda v Diamond Creek was shifted to DC due to Mernda ground being unplayable) IS there a possibility that we may have grounds unavailable if the wet continues.

May be a tad early but we are only around 7 - 8 weeks away from actually playing.

I think you will find amazing recovery of the grounds in 2 months, especially after the juniors finish and the finals wind down, most councils will be working hard to get them up. Everything seems to be compounded due to our first wet in many years. The people who wanted to change the Mernda game to DC probably were not around in the 70`s, 80`s and 90`s playing on such grounds as Eltham, Mont, Watsonia and South Morang where all were shin deep in mud, Panton Hills ground this year took me back to those times.
These days the grounds are much better prepared and looked after, OH&S has a lot to do with it
Probably showing my age here but the DC players should have got on with it in the mud as it is a winter sport, anyway bring on the cricket

LEGCUTTER;404578 said:
I think you will find amazing recovery of the grounds in 2 months, especially after the juniors finish and the finals wind down, most councils will be working hard to get them up. Everything seems to be compounded due to our first wet in many years. The people who wanted to change the Mernda game to DC probably were not around in the 70`s, 80`s and 90`s playing on such grounds as Eltham, Mont, Watsonia and South Morang where all were shin deep in mud, Panton Hills ground this year took me back to those times.
These days the grounds are much better prepared and looked after, OH&S has a lot to do with it
Probably showing my age here but the DC players should have got on with it in the mud as it is a winter sport, anyway bring on the cricket

Drove past Macleod's ground last night and is looking a treat. Will be in fine fettle come October

The Mernda ground has proven to be pretty resilient - Whether it be too wet at one stage or too dry at another, it always seems to come good given the right conditions.

All it will need is 2 - 3 weeks of dry-ish weather for it to come good.

It's only logical to think that most grounds, given the conditons we've had over winter for the last 5, 6 or even 7 years, won't be used to this much water. But given half a chance, they'll all come good.

Having said that, I haven't been up there to have a proper look but from all reports it's in a pretty boggy state all over!

It won't surprise me if, come Dec - Jan we're talking about the same grounds being too hard and dry due to no rain from the start of Oct onwards - So at some stage between then and now we're going to have perfect grounds to play on!

Has anyone played at Mill Park SC?. If so, what is the ground like and where is the oval inside the school? All you can see driving past is the synthetic soccer pitch.

F Troop;405043 said:
Has anyone played at Mill Park SC?. If so, what is the ground like and where is the oval inside the school? All you can see driving past is the synthetic soccer pitch.

Spot On !

Plenty Park is in a condition I have never ever seen before. With the Diamond Creek girls playing footy up their this year, the ground is pretty choppy up the middle. Hopefully the council pull their fingers out and get them upto scratch for the season.

F Troop;405068 said:
So the synthetic soccer pitch becomes a cricket oval in summer, is that right?:confused:

That's exactly right.

Mernda's 3rds had to play all home games there last year due to Royal Doreen being unfit to play on.

Terrible ground to play on from all reports - balls bounce left, then right then 12 foot in the air if they hit a decent patch of rubber.

Makes some of the worser grounds around the place look like the G at times.

i hope i get to play on it this year in E grade, might improve my batting average. Will games be fixtured there this year?

F Troop;405095 said:
do you think the DVCA will fixture games on it again this season or just use it as a spare ground?

I can't see it being used as a cricket ground if all grounds are available.

Having said that, from all reports there are a few grounds that are looking terrible at this stage of the year so it may well be a real possibility.

One more query about the ground, how is the boundary marked out on the ground? Do they use the yellow line that goes around the ground or do you have to use cones and guess it yourself?

F Troop;405068 said:
So the synthetic soccer pitch becomes a cricket oval in summer, is that right?:confused:

Have actually played a bit of sport on the new synthetic stuff being laid in a lot of schools, and I can tell you it plays alright, would much rather be diving and sliding on that stuff than on the likes of St.Francis, Yarrambat, Yulong and a few knee splitters.

WanderingUnity;405306 said:
Have actually played a bit of sport on the new synthetic stuff being laid in a lot of schools, and I can tell you it plays alright, would much rather be diving and sliding on that stuff than on the likes of St.Francis, Yarrambat, Yulong and a few knee splitters.
Yulong should come up a treat this year. (if it ever stops raining)
Was reasonably green last year late and with another year under its belt should have a good grass covering now with the summer grass.

THE PREZ;405309 said:
Yulong should come up a treat this year. (if it ever stops raining)
Was reasonably green last year late and with another year under its belt should have a good grass covering now with the summer grass.

Prez - have you seen it lately, it has not come up at all well, only patches of the grass have taken, and with the rain and 3 games of footy a week, plus training, there is talk of it undergoing another makeover in the summer months.

WanderingUnity;405333 said:
Prez - have you seen it lately, it has not come up at all well, only patches of the grass have taken, and with the rain and 3 games of footy a week, plus training, there is talk of it undergoing another makeover in the summer months.
Walked the ground last Sunday.Yulong is the wettest I have seen it in about 10 years at present. With two straight weeks of footy to come.
However most of the ground is ok. You can see the sprigs of couch just out of the surface all over the ground.
Centre Half Forward at Bent St is the worst area. Havent had coverage there for about 4 years.
Given it stays dormant in the cooler/wetter months, we need some September sun to spruce the cooch it up a bit.

As to a new renovation again this year, havent heard anything from council, but then again i didnt hear anything before they dug the ground up on the Wednesday prior to the home semi last year either...

Mernda is looking amazing at the moment, no footy for the past 2 months has helped it, the way it is going it will host the barclay granny this year

Back