Guatam Gambhir and Irfan Pathan?

breeno

Two of my favourite players going around, what's happening with them? I havn't heard too much about Gambhir recently, although I know he made 167 in his last match. As for Pathan, he was so promising and hasn't played since 2008, has anyone got any idea on what's happened to thes two? Especially Pathan.

Re: Guatam Gambhir and Irfan Pathan?

Gambhir is injured I think, which is why Vijay played and why Kohli is batting 3 in their ODI team. I think.

Irfan Pathan is just not good enough anymore. Tried to become a genuine all-rounder and his bowling suffered, if I recall correctly.

Correct, Irfan tried to become a genuine all-rounder and was tried numerous times opening the batting and batting at three. He soon found himself dropped from the test team and then was pushed out of the one-day and Twenty20 sides.

Now he's really a nothing player, bowling isn't up to scratch anymore and his batting hasn't really improved.

Gambhir has been the find of 2009 and is injured currently; I think Pathan is the classic case of fame and the shortened versions..
His issues started with back injuries and a lack of guidance from a coach. I also think that he has a DC case still on the go as he supposedly hit a groundsmen .. could not find a link .. I think the IPL really hurt him from a playing point of view as he has struggled to consistently perform the Kings XI Punjab..

Gambhir is back, played in the last one day game for India. He and Sehweg are probably the best opening pair out there, test wise. Cover all bases and can put on some pretty big scores.

As for Pathan, who knows. A case of too much, too young maybe? Think he got messed around, had the idea of being an all rounder put into his head and lost his bowling action. Unlikley that he'll make a comeback, India have too many players of a similar quality.

Pathan is only 25, so do people think it's possible he'll return?

100 wickets @ 32 and over 1000 runs at over 30.

It is possible but I can't see it. India have a lot of players to choose from - you get very few chances to cement a place and at the moment he's down the pecking order.

Maybe in a few years time but I can't see it happening soon.

Just needs to focus on his bowling and try to win a place that way. India's pace stocks aren't that fantastic so a couple of solid years with the ball could see him recalled. Needs to focus on his bowling and throw this genuine all-rounder idea out though. Should bat at 8.

Mousey;384480 said:
Just needs to focus on his bowling and try to win a place that way. India's pace stocks aren't that fantastic so a couple of solid years with the ball could see him recalled. Needs to focus on his bowling and throw this genuine all-rounder idea out though. Should bat at 8.

Yeah he should maybe become a Mitchell Johnson style player. Bowler who can definitely handle the stick and be tagged a bowling AR.

I disagree and think his done his time in the national side. Tiwari and others are now in the positions and I think he may become a case for Eric Simons if he lasts in India. Simons has rebuilt careers and Pathan could be a case for him.

Goutam gambhir is always good but erfaan pathan is not so much good in these days. For erfaan pathan it is a shocked news but i think he knows it

Gambhir is injured, which is why Vijay played. He injured in the KKR's last game in IPL season 4. Nothing else.

Irfan Pathan is just not good enough anymore. Tried to become a genuine all-rounder and his bowling suffered. He looses his bowling swing to become a all-rounder. When he came in international cricket, he bowl's really awesome, but now he has lost his swing and bowl in slow pace.

A perfect blend of intelligent batting and smart bowling- Gambir and Irfan
Gambir left DD and joined KKR: the side balances now definately.
Even when it comes to batting, both are equally smart and patient to make any chase possible in any pressure.
Obv Gauti cant bowl but u never know the day he comes and takes all major wickets. (same that Afridi did and then became more of a bowler than a BOOM BOOM Afridi)..

Regards,
Alok Biyani Kolkata

Two of my favourite players going around, what's happening with them? I havn't heard too much about Gambhir recently, although I know he made 167 in his last match. As for Pathan, he was so promising and hasn't played since 2008, has anyone got any idea on what's happened to thes two? Especially Pathan.
You know the thing about Pathan? He tried his darnest to play Cricket, did, and got into the Indian Team. Then, he took his cricket like he lives his life, as a seemingly ordinary person. He isn't supposed to be ordinary. But, he always thought himself to be. He got a chance, to look at the game, from an everday perspective, like one really should. I look at the game, from an everyday perspective, but I don't tell myself, that I must look at the game like I look at anything. One does it anyway. If one looked at Gavaskar, he looked at the game, in an everyday perspective, but not like he saw anything else, when he played. Irfan Pathan is Kapil Dev, playing Cricket. I cannot get it, but why would no one want Pathan to bat, in the lower order, as a batting all-rounder? He is an unusual batsman. If he could get a hat-trick against Pakistan, then, may I say, that Imran Khan has not, or perhaps he has, got a hat-trick against India? He was just extraordinary, in a league of his own, when in Ganguly's Test team, he got Adam Gilchrist, bowled with reverse swing. I cannot forget that delivery. We won the Test match, because Pathan was a rookie, who could bowl in that second innings in the manner he did. I don't think Australia had such a rookie player, I mean, who bowled similarly.

I don't know how Irfan Pathan has survived in the Indian shorter form teams, especially with the IPL these days.
Why? It seems if a person plays Test Cricket, he can be considered for other formats. Petersen Kevin, perhaps played Test Cricket in a way, where he found himself in T-20 Cricket. It seems, he was selected to play Test Cricket, because of what the Australians were supposed to be, to Test Cricket. Irfan was a player, who took it seems, the most wickets in the junior World Cup, and he was selected as a bowling allrounder, perhaps. I noticed Irfan Pathan in Cricinfo magazine, the print edition. I also noticed Moses Henriques, because when an allrounder is noticed in Australia, it is special, when the allrounder is not 18 years old, perhaps, playing in the under 18 World Cup. I didn't know, that Irfan Pathan would play like he never imagined, in Australia. I felt pretty depressed, when Ganguly selected him for the first Test he played, in that drawn Australia series, the best series that India played for me. Ganguly knows what being a Captain is.

Yeah but look up his record in the shorter forms, it's not very impressive for a side that has many great T20 players to choose from (I'm guessing, I don't watch the IPL normally). Sorry, I was talking about Yusuf Pathan. Just realized.

Irfan's a pretty ordinary cricketer, not sure how he gets a game for India. Bowling has nowhere near the venom it used to and his batting is average to say the least. Surely there are better all-rounders/bowling all-rounders going around.

Irfan's a pretty ordinary cricketer, not sure how he gets a game for India. Bowling has nowhere near the venom it used to and his batting is average to say the least. Surely there are better all-rounders/bowling all-rounders going around.

Yeah either player isn't going to worry teams anymore to be honest. Irfan is an average bowling all rounder and Yusuf is an average batting all rounder.

Back