Has The Bcci Become Too Powerful In World Cricket?

BCCI - Evil Dictatorship?

• Total voters

futureblackcap

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel that BCCI has become too powerful and become a bit like an evil dictatorship (The purpose of this, is not to get anyone offended).

It all started when a group of people wanted to set up an exciting new T20 league , that gave ex international players a bit of cash and the ability to show India their talent at home mixed with their local talent. This league became known as the ICL (Indian Cricket League), now the BCCI had not authorized this tournament and therefor did everything in their power to crush the ICL. They made the ICC ban all international players from playing international cricket if they continued to play in the ICL by making a new rule, they copied the ICL's idea and made the IPL, they stole the Television rights from the ICL with help from the ICC. All these actions crushed the ICL and the IPL became a very popular tournament. From what I've read from international players that have played both tournaments that the ICL was actually the better tournament.

The BCCI through the banning of the international players caused some players (like Shane Bond, Daryl Tuffey and Nathan Astle etc) to have shorter international careers and weaken the international teams for two years until they let them back in even though those players had been promised that they could still continue to play international cricket.

The IPL has created more recent problems as well, players deciding to play the IPL instead of playing for the country with the likes of Lasith Malinga and making players retire because they would rather make money in the IPL than play for their country such as Shaun Tait.

And finally, just in the last couple of days, the BCCI has said they don't want any Indians from playing in Sri Lanka's version of the IPL. Though they give another reason, we all know the real reasons behind it. The BCCI use their money had power to try swat out the smaller powers. If some of the Indians go and play in the Sri Lankan T20 League we know what will happen, they will probably ban them from the international squad and force them from leaving the "rebel league". It's only a "rebel league" in the BCCI's eyes because it's competition just like the ICL and what's behind competition? Money, that's all it is.

The IPL has also caused problems for Chris Gayle, the West Indies and Pakistan cricket boards are having massive problems with some of their players, this is greatly due to T20 cricket and in Chris Gayle's situation the IPL.

When will this corruption end?

The BCCI have been too powerful for a while now and have a great influence in world cricket to a point. The ICC won't stand up to them because of the dollars that India provides for the sport through TV rights and such hence the BCCI can seemingly do what they like and the ICC seem to just ignore it, too scared of what the consequences will be.

They have a lot of power over their own players and like you said can pick and choose what tournaments they can and can't play in. The Indian players aren't allowed to play in the Sri Lankan league and earlier they weren't allowed to play in the Australian version because of a "clash" with the Indian domestic scene. It's quite obvious that the BCCI want a monopoly over the franchised T20 competition idea and are preventing good players from playing in these series which weakens the other series.

To be fair the IPL is of an average standard, there are a lot of average Indian cricketers playing in the competition, most of which wouldn't get a game at county level or in Australia's Big Bash league. Some of the fielding is very, very poor and I rate the Big Bash higher than what the IPL is.

Yes I think BCCI is more powerful than ICC. Lolz... But it is true, when BCCI take a decision ICC must choose the way. But in other hand some time BCCI rejects the ICC's decision and ICC don't take any action. So it is very easy to say.

Yes, the Big Bash is a much better tournament. Here in NZ we got some coverage to a few of the games :) When the IPL coverage rights were way too expensive

That is probably why they struggled a bit this year because a lot of the smaller countries couldn't of afforded the tv rights.

Could be mate. We didn't any coverage here either because of TV rights issues so we got nothing at all as no-one could come to an agreement. Seems we didn't miss out on much though.

Let me start by saying I think ljp86 nailed all the reasons why we should be concerned over the BCCI. The problem is and will be that the viewers and advertiser with the big checque books are in India at the moment and with the economy at the moment I suspect this wont ever change.

The BCCI have been too powerful for a while now and have a great influence in world cricket to a point. The ICC won't stand up to them because of the dollars that India provides for the sport through TV rights and such hence the BCCI can seemingly do what they like and the ICC seem to just ignore it, too scared of what the consequences will be.

They have a lot of power over their own players and like you said can pick and choose what tournaments they can and can't play in. The Indian players aren't allowed to play in the Sri Lankan league and earlier they weren't allowed to play in the Australian version because of a "clash" with the Indian domestic scene. It's quite obvious that the BCCI want a monopoly over the franchised T20 competition idea and are preventing good players from playing in these series which weakens the other series.

I must confess I think the Indians are trying to protect their turf as they want to control things. Why put their assets with other boards for tournaments that they will receiver little money? I am not surprised by the attitude shown to the Sri Lankan T20 competition. The sudden concern over fixture clashes is pure bolony of the highest quality.

I do believe that another issue is about to break out in India. Lalit Modi started tweeting some interesting information about how the BCCI used its international muscle to terminate the ICL. What stops him from talking some more.. yes I know he is not everybody's cup of tea but he is one of the few outsiders that can inform the public of what the BCCI has done in the past. The mere fact that Advocate Norman Arendse did not wait long for an official reply to this .. tells me that there is a lot more to it.

The BCCI has the most money, the most marketable cricket and has the most power in the world game, much more than the ICC in fact because their decisions — when they actually make some — are taken by a committee and the BCCI influences that committee through its financial muscle and what it can do for certain nations in terms of television rights from tours.

Maybe, this sounds naïve and innocent, but wouldn’t it be comforting and reassuring for the BCCI to show some humility, generosity and instead of sticking its chest out and pushing weaker nations to the floor, like with the SLPL, to encourage, nurture and help make cricket a healthier and wealthier game everywhere.

Let me start by saying I think ljp86 nailed all the reasons why we should be concerned over the BCCI. The problem is and will be that the viewers and advertiser with the big checque books are in India at the moment and with the economy at the moment I suspect this wont ever change.

I must confess I think the Indians are trying to protect their turf as they want to control things. Why put their assets with other boards for tournaments that they will receiver little money? I am not surprised by the attitude shown to the Sri Lankan T20 competition. The sudden concern over fixture clashes is pure bolony of the highest quality.

I do believe that another issue is about to break out in India. Lalit Modi started tweeting some interesting information about how the BCCI used its international muscle to terminate the ICL. What stops him from talking some more.. yes I know he is not everybody's cup of tea but he is one of the few outsiders that can inform the public of what the BCCI has done in the past. The mere fact that Advocate Norman Arendse did not wait long for an official reply to this .. tells me that there is a lot more to it.

The second quote you've posted their is a good one. The BCCI are out too look after themselves so investing in something else for the good of the game is not an option when it doesn't benefit them. Whilst that is not all that surprising, you'd think an organisation such as the BCCI would be more willing to try and foster the game in other countries with the amount of money they make each year.

Ofcourse,
BCCI has become the powerful board in the world. Undoubtedly, it will grow more in future.
The way India is playing with MSD on the top - it is quite possible that BCCI unleashes its power everywhere.
When Bollywood Industry suffered last year, it had approached BCCI to compensate. Also, even when the GOI suffers, BCCI board are the primary lenders.
With BCCI rolling on the floor with no moss at all, its much evident to say that BCCI will become more of a business than cricket, entertainment and sportsman spirit.

Regards,
Alok Biyani Kolkata

Every board is out to look after itself, but when your excuses for poor performance are all based in a pitch party then we are left to scratch our heads. The pitch belongs to the ground staff until two hours before the start of play, this is also most likely not a rare event just one that got a photo. Grow up BCCI and others might take you seriously.

It is good to know that when Australia tours India again in a few years that Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dhoni Khan and Dravid will all still be in the team. Who knows VVS Laxman may even get a call up if he makes a big score in domestic cricket.

Yes, the Big Bash is a much better tournament. Here in NZ we got some coverage to a few of the games :) When the IPL coverage rights were way too expensive

That is probably why they struggled a bit this year because a lot of the smaller countries couldn't of afforded the tv rights.
Yes it is but in ipl players come from all around the world but in bigbash only a few are from foriegn

Its good to see that people have realised that the BCCI have actually become too powerful and now they are able fulfil all their demands and can do anything they want in the world of cricket as we have seen a few months ago ICC wanted to make the DRS system mandatory for every match but just because of the BCCI , ICC was unable to do it.

I actually preferred watching a series without the DRS. Umpires make mistakes, but that is cricket. This DRS has made the game a joke. Selfish batsmen like Watson and cheats like Broad & Haddin using the DRS does nothing to improve the game. Just remember that in local cricket there is no DRS. Once upon a time playing cricket meant that every player had agreed to play the game within the unwritten laws and conventions of the game. That is what made cricket a great game.Now all I see are a bunch of cheats who do not have the courage or honesty to walk. The Australians can take a large part of the blame because this win at all costs attitude has now infected the rest of the world and they are serving it back with interest. India will no longer be dictated to by their former colonial masters and good luck to them. I hope they continue to refuse to acknowledge the DRS.

Clocker, the point you make is a good one and the whole DRS concept needs to be revisited. Is the improvement in correct decisions really good enough to justify the problems caused. You do have to question the way certain players selfishly use the DRS. Watson is the worst and needs to be told NO!

Despite all this the BCCI are far too powerful and it needs to be in balance. All Test countries need equal influence on the ICC board with a seat for the minnows as well. No country should give aid to another for cricket, it should be given to the ICC and distributed to those who need it from there to cut back on vote buying. The former great countries also need to accept that the playing field has changed and cricket in the subcontinent is worth big dollars and has powerful influence. Maybe we need to look at what has gone wrong with our own cricket cultures.

Clocker, the point you make is a good one and the whole DRS concept needs to be revisited. Is the improvement in correct decisions really good enough to justify the problems caused. You do have to question the way certain players selfishly use the DRS. Watson is the worst and needs to be told NO!

Despite all this the BCCI are far too powerful and it needs to be in balance. All Test countries need equal influence on the ICC board with a seat for the minnows as well. No country should give aid to another for cricket, it should be given to the ICC and distributed to those who need it from there to cut back on vote buying. The former great countries also need to accept that the playing field has changed and cricket in the subcontinent is worth big dollars and has powerful influence. Maybe we need to look at what has gone wrong with our own cricket cultures.

Brilliant post Nairbie! I agree with both of you on some points. I think the DRS needs to be taken away from the players and given to the umpires only. Two reviews per on-field umpire and no bias to whether they give it out or not. This would mean that the right decisions would be made a lot more often and it'd stop a lot of wasted reviews.

I actually preferred watching a series without the DRS. Umpires make mistakes, but that is cricket. This DRS has made the game a joke. Selfish batsmen like Watson and cheats like Broad & Haddin using the DRS does nothing to improve the game. Just remember that in local cricket there is no DRS. Once upon a time playing cricket meant that every player had agreed to play the game within the unwritten laws and conventions of the game. That is what made cricket a great game.Now all I see are a bunch of cheats who do not have the courage or honesty to walk. The Australians can take a large part of the blame because this win at all costs attitude has now infected the rest of the world and they are serving it back with interest. India will no longer be dictated to by their former colonial masters and good luck to them. I hope they continue to refuse to acknowledge the DRS.

Clocker, what country does Broad come from again? You made some valid points but it was tinged with racism as well.

You claim Australians cheat, do you remember Sunil Gavaskar's kiddie tantrum after getting out and taking his partner off with him?

Also Anil Kumble threatening to cancel the entire tour if Harbhajan wasn't allowed to get away with racism towards Andrew Symonds.

It was an Indian born English captain in Douglas Jardine who was the original cheat.

You had valid points about the DRS but the Board of Control for Corruption in India shouldn't be holding the game to ransom either.

As far as former colonial masters are concerned, England were India's colonial masters.

The only country we've ever had control of is Papua New Guinea and cricket is a small time sport there.

Don't dare accuse Australia of cheating when India have taken cheating to a completely new level.

As the saying goes don't throw stones in glass houses.

Back