hat trick.........

weapons05/06

hat trick.........

opinions please........

last season last game of year i took 2 wickets with the last 2 balls of the game.......
this season playing a different grade/comp i took a wicket with the first ball of my 1st over for the game........

i have had long disputes over this 1 and i will claim a hat trick all day long.......

cheers

Re: hat trick.........

to be a hat trick i think it really needs to happen in the same game. if you were playing a 2 innings match and took 2 wickets with the last 2 balls of an innings, then struck again with the first ball of the following innings then maybe, but i think thats about as far as you can push the term.

in 2 back to back games im fairly confident it doesnt count.

but in 2 different SEASONS, well i think thats just a double and a single with no doubts about it. its a hat trick in your own mind, but its never going to be officially recognised as one.

but in saying that, id still be walking around the club with a swagger telling everyone about my hat trick :D its still an accomplishment, so make sure you milk it for all its worth.

If it did I have a double hat trick in 7 aside cricket that is played as a carnival day to open the season. 6 overs a side and a licence to kill, everyone bowls, I got 4 wickets in one over with my last two balls being wickets. Then the next year I bowled another two wickets in a row for my first two balls of the season. I think it should count!

Plus after three years of that fun comp I have an average of 2.3 bowling and 35 batting. I love that comp!

Jim2109;386470 said:
to be a hat trick i think it really needs to happen in the same game. if you were playing a 2 innings match and took 2 wickets with the last 2 balls of an innings, then struck again with the first ball of the following innings then maybe, but i think thats about as far as you can push the term.

in 2 back to back games im fairly confident it doesnt count.

but in 2 different SEASONS, well i think thats just a double and a single with no doubts about it. its a hat trick in your own mind, but its never going to be officially recognised as one.

but in saying that, id still be walking around the club with a swagger telling everyone about my hat trick :D its still an accomplishment, so make sure you milk it for all its worth.

my point is 3 in a row on the trott is a hat trick.......im pretty sure merv hughes got a hat trick last ball of an innings then the next test got 2 wickets in 2 balls.......he has a test hat trick.......???? please correct me if im wrong........:eek:

where or who can i write to, to find out if it is........????

weapons05/06;386626 said:
my point is 3 in a row on the trott is a hat trick.......im pretty sure merv hughes got a hat trick last ball of an innings then the next test got 2 wickets in 2 balls.......he has a test hat trick.......???? please correct me if im wrong........:eek:

where or who can i write to, to find out if it is........????

he took a hat trick across 2 innings in a test match (spread across 3 overs and 2 days as well lol). google kicks that up straight away, and all the articles say how unusual it is.

thats as outrageous as it can possibly get. across 2 different matches it doesnt count officially, but you might be able to claim it and your team mates might humour you. across 2 different seasons though is just too far!!

"A hat-trick occurs in cricket when a bowler dismisses three batsmen with consecutive deliveries."

It's a hat-trick in my book! Well bowled Sir! :D

From Bill Frindall, considered the authority when it comes to scoring/rules etc:

Has any bowler taken a hat-trick over three consecutive balls in three consecutive innings?

With reference to Andy P, and a hat-trick spanning three overs (#134). If the first wicket fell to the last ball of an over and the second wicket fell to the first ball of the next over, also ending the innings, what happens if that was the second innings? Would the bowler's hat-trick delivery have to be against the same opponents? A hat-trick could then take two years to play out.

A hat-trick can never involve more than two innings because it can only be achieved within one match.

and with regards to the hat-trick by Hughes - it was taken over 3 overs but in the same match -

Is it true that Merv Hughes once took a Test hat-trick spread over three overs? If so, was the third over due to a declaration or was a follow-on enforced?

Australia's Merv Hughes did take a convoluted hat-trick which involved three overs and both West Indies innings at Perth in December 1988.

He ended the first innings at 449 by dismissing Ambrose with the last ball of his 36th over and Patterson with the first ball of his 37th. Australia then scored 395-8 declared before Hughes dismissed Greenidge with the first ball of the second innings.

Think of it this way, if a footballer scores two goals in game 1, then scores the first goal in game 2 it's not called a hat-trick. Yes, he has scored 3 consecutive goals but all 3 goals have to be scored in the same game for it to be recorded as a hat-trick. Indeed, years ago a 'true' hat-trick had to be scored in the same half without anyone else scoring in-between.

Cricket is slightly different in how a hat-trick is achieved but the fact remains - the feat has to occur during the same match.

This is not to take anything away from you but officially your hat-trick was really 3 wickets in 3 balls, spread across two matches.

does it say anywhere in the laws about it having to be in the same game? Nope. 3 wickets in 3 balls, you have yourself a hat trick, albeit an unusual one.

an interesting note, does this count as a quadruple hatrick? in indoor cricket several years ago, I took 3 wickets with my last 3 balls of one partnership, and 3 wickets in 3 balls in my first over to the new partnership.

ZacDuggan;386649 said:
does it say anywhere in the laws about it having to be in the same game? .

FFS, it has to occur in the same game. If you want to claim hollow achievements then go for it but when it comes to the record books you won't find them. The laws are not going to concern themselves with a trivial matter such as hat-tricks, however, those that are custodians of records, such as Frindall was, will. Ask any cricket statistician what constitutes a hat-trick and you will get the same answer - 3 wickets in 3 balls during the same match.

Lets consider this, I take the last two wickets to fall in a game and then don't play for 25 years. I come back and take a wicket with my first ball - is that still a hat-trick? No, don't be so soft.

Each game is a separate, singular event. They may be linked together to form a series or whatever but that is all. Name me one sport that considers a hat-trick to be legitimate even if it occurs over two games...

weapons05/06;386448 said:
opinions please........

last season last game of year i took 2 wickets with the last 2 balls of the game.......
this season playing a different grade/comp i took a wicket with the first ball of my 1st over for the game........

i have had long disputes over this 1 and i will claim a hat trick all day long.......

cheers

now i wish i had an extra ball...........hahaha oh well lads its a good topic and can get some cricket talk happening.......

cheers

jeez m.c. dont get worked up or anything.......

The hat trick law is not an actual law in cricket, but an informal one, and as such, any statistician, armchair statistician or your good self would not be able to back up your claim with concrete fact stating that it has to be in the same game. Its just a matter of opinion.

Anyway, what does it matter? I am highly unlikely said hatrick or no was in a major comp, with high stakes and all the rest, or a first class game, so if Weapons05-06 wants to claim it, who are you, me, or anyone to stop it. after all, we are just blokes (and ladies) sitting on computers, talking about cricket. Nothing more or less.

Back