Have You Got Ipl 2014 Fever?

I don't see how you can support a team in the IPL when they change the players like every year.

I'll watch it when its on, but its a really shitty standard and very obviously fixed.

I'm less cynical than SLA and troll3y but they're right about the stupid auctions, how can I as an NZer get attached to any team when the players get traded around every year? If they want it to be taken seriously then every player would be given long term contracts with a side so fans loyalties are built up over the years.

Watched the first couple of editions but since then I haven't seen it. There's no coverage here due to a rights dispute so the only vision we get is highlights on pay tv sports channels and some results in the papers etc.

Have to say the BBL and county competitions are far superior, particularly the fielding which is usually top notch. Having said that if I could see it I'd watch a few games.

@ S SLA , Well i support Talent not the team. During IPL new players are given chance and if they perform well , they can be a part of India Team in future as you can see A Rahane, A Rayudu are now a part of team.

@ S SLA , Well i support Talent not the team. During IPL new players are given chance and if they perform well , they can be a part of India Team in future as you can see A Rahane, A Rayudu are now a part of team.

But how do you know if a player is just rubbish or is deliberately dropping catches/ bowling full tosses/ running out his partner because that's what is in the script? Thats the bit that confuses me. Its like watching WWE.

But don't you think that the IPL should only be used to judge player's ability in T20 cricket and therefor, only the T20 international side?

@SLA hahaha ... that better watch WWE ...

@futureblackcap .. well evert thing matters IPL, T20 and Test but think about those players you are capable enough and not getting chance to show their talent at least IPL give chance to them.

Rahane got in the team due to mountains of runs in the Ranji Trophy, Rayudu made the side due to a very good tour of NZ with India A. Both players were ear marked long ago to be Indian test players, Rayudu took longer than expected due to his ban for playing in the ICL.

IPL will start on April 16 in the UAE and is likely to be held in Bangladesh and ending in India on June 1... Man these election seasion sucks

I don't see how you can support a team in the IPL when they change the players like every year.

I'll watch it when its on, but its a really shitty standard and very obviously fixed.

yes sir they change players and thats because the better players gets a chance... obviously it isnt a platform for newbies like me, and shitty standards... you got to be kidding me

But don't you think that the IPL should only be used to judge player's ability in T20 cricket and therefor, only the T20 international side?

What IPL did for India, none of those heavyweight BCCI selectors could have ever done... It brought out the players from their not so popular domestic cricket scene to the limelight of the world cricket... It gave the players better money, better exposure, and a whole new future to look onto

I'm less cynical than SLA and troll3y but they're right about the stupid auctions, how can I as an NZer get attached to any team when the players get traded around every year? If they want it to be taken seriously then every player would be given long term contracts with a side so fans loyalties are built up over the years.

It isnt like another country is buying you off... its clubs... You are required to perform for your club... Even BPL football games trade players... The better you perform, the more you get paid... and no players arent traded every year

It isnt like another country is buying you off... its clubs... You are required to perform for your club... Even BPL football games trade players... The better you perform, the more you get paid... and no players arent traded every year
Not every player is traded every year but a lot of the foreign players are. I'm not talking about the players having the contractual mechanisms in place so they can stay longterm at a club, I'm talking about as an NZer supporting an IPL team.

How can I support any IPL team when NZ players are traded so readily? The closest thing to something an NZer can support is the Chennai Super Kings with Stephen Fleming among the management of the side, but who the hell supports a side for its manager? If you want foreign viewers outside of the Indian population to start supporting it the easiest hook is to have players from their country readily identified with a team every season (and I'm not talking about retired players, current internationals only). The fact is the auction system is a joke now, a novel way to kick off IPL 1 but that's about it.

Not every player is traded every year but a lot of the foreign players are. I'm not talking about the players having the contractual mechanisms in place so they can stay longterm at a club, I'm talking about as an NZer supporting an IPL team.

How can I support any IPL team when NZ players are traded so readily? The closest thing to something an NZer can support is the Chennai Super Kings with Stephen Fleming among the management of the side, but who the hell supports a side for its manager? If you want foreign viewers outside of the Indian population to start supporting it the easiest hook is to have players from their country readily identified with a team every season (and I'm not talking about retired players, current internationals only). The fact is the auction system is a joke now, a novel way to kick off IPL 1 but that's about it.

There are many NZer playing too, Matthew Henry for CSK, Timothy Southee for RR, James Neesham for DD, Corey Anderson for MI to name a few... You cant support players from a particular nation in IPL, you got to support a team... a team of your liking whom you think best... even in BPL games, the same rules applies... if you believe CSK has the capability you can support it

Back