India In Australia 2011/12

el-capitano

India have won the toss and elected to bat in their final warm-up match against a Chairman's XI in Canberra.
Batting legends Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid have been left out of the Indian 13 for the three-day practice match at Manuka Oval.
Speculation is growing that India will call in a cover player for injured fast bowler Ishant Sharma after he was ruled out of the match entirely.
Advertisement: Story continues below
India were hoping Sharma would pass a fitness test after sitting out Monday and be available to play on Tuesday and Wednesday.
However, it's clear his ankle injury is worse than the team has been admitting.
Sharma completed just 5.3 overs in the opening tour game against a Chairman's XI last week and is in serious doubt for the first Test against Australia starting on Boxing Day in Melbourne.
The Chairman's team will bowl first, giving discarded Test player Doug Bollinger a chance to prove himself against the Indian batting line-up - which still boasts the likes of Virender Sehwag, VVS Laxman and MS Dhoni.
Captain David Warner is listed to open the batting with Ed Cowan when it's the Chairman's team's turn to bat, leaving under-pressure Test incumbent Phil Hughes to bat down the order at No.4.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...s-batting-legends-omitted-20111219-1p1gd.html

Ed Cowan, the Tasmania opening batsman, has barged his way into Australia's Boxing Day Test team to face India through weight of runs, and will be joined in the top three by Shaun Marsh provided the West Australian can prove his fitness.
Ben Hilfenhaus has also earned a recall, as the selectors sought an experienced head to help a young bowling attack battle India's batsmen at the MCG.
Cowan and Marsh replaced Phillip Hughes and Usman Khawaja from the XI that was ingloriously beaten by New Zealand in Hobart, with Shane Watson and Ryan Harris unable to be chosen due to continued fitness complaints.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2011/content/story/546342.html

Australia Test squad

• Michael Clarke (capt), Ed Cowan, David Warner, Shaun Marsh, Ricky Ponting, Michael Hussey, Daniel Christian, Brad Haddin, Peter Siddle, James Pattinson, Ben Hilfenhaus, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon​

India's bowling attack doesn't worry me too much. Khan is not bad but Sharma is a massive dud and their spinners are no better than Nathan Lyon. What will be worrying is their batting and Australia could be chasing some big scores if Tendulkar and co get going.

smh.com is running a poll.

Will Australia win the Test series against India?

Yes- 29% No- 71%

You can see how hopeful we are about winning this series.......... :D
Where are the true believers, if you don't think we can win then why bother. Yea sure we are up against it but so what, this is cricket and anything can happen. Only one more sleep

I'm looking forward to it. I think it will be a very good series, but I just hope the bloody Aussies have picked up their act in the field and we don't see the two or three dropped catches every innings.

The batting looks stronger but we have to wait and see how it works out. I think we'll have real problems in the first test with the bowlers. Hilfy is better than Starc but his pretty poor record at the MCG is not encouraging.

OH dear, the usual has happened and we are not doing it. Yes Ponting looked in form but he never gets there anymore and he is not getting younger. Cowan should have converted but it is his first game, Warner wasted his wicket.

Some of these Indian appeals today have been quite ridiculous.

No wonder they don't won't the DRS, sort of makes it hard to bully umpires to make sh@t decisions in your favour.

Hussey got a shocker, another reason why UDRS has to be implemeted fully for all series or totally abandoned. We can no longer go on with this "have" and "have not" scenario anymore.

6/277 after day one, India just in front you'd think. Haddin and Siddle combined well at the end there.

Even Haddin was batting sensibly. We all know he can, but he only bothers occasionally. Punter isn't going to get dropped any time soon, I'm just grateful for 50's from him now. I think this score is ok, if we get around 340, that will be a real score from this batting line-up.

Even Haddin was batting sensibly. We all know he can, but he only bothers occasionally. Punter isn't going to get dropped any time soon, I'm just grateful for 50's from him now. I think this score is ok, if we get around 340, that will be a real score from this batting line-up.

Punter was woeful, had his usual shaky start then just as he was set lost concentration. We could have had that from Khawaja and the hope he will get better with experience not worse as the year show. The score will not cut it with this Indian Batting lineup, here and there we will escape but 450 is the minimum first innings if we think we will beat them. Hussey got a shocker but this was always the way before DRS and all it does is amplify how out of form he is. It was Cowan that was unlucky and now he has an injury, goody goody. We need cummins back with watson at 4 and Khawaja at 6 then we might fire up.

Gee that was a bad leave from Cowan.. Warner's dismissal wasn't all that flash either. Lot up to Marsh and Ponting now.

OH dear, still about 100 runs short but you never know. Amazingly it was Punter and Huss that got the runs which might be good news if you can overlook the inconsistency of the batting lineup. Good luck tomorrow we will need some but either way this will be an exciting ending, good crowd cricket.

Back