Is Hussey Right To Feel 'shocked' At Being Left Out Of World Cup Squad?

Is Hussey right to be shocked?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Get out of the Australian section you English peaheart.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

Richard the Third

BigCricket Administrator
The guy is 35 and injured so is it right that he is shocked at being left out? Sure he was in good form for part of Ashes but that is test cricket, not 50 overs.

"I tried to push my case forward. I maybe deserved a chance to have a go, but they obviously saw differently so it's disappointing," said Hussey.

"I'm really disappointed and a bit shocked by the news."

"I said I would really push [to be fit] by the second game and definitely [be] right by the third game. But it's not a risk the selectors wanted to take. It's a pretty hard pill to swallow, that's for sure."

For me it was obvious that he wouldn't go but it seems Hussey had other ideas. Patriotic or something else?

This was his last harrah in ODI's so it's no surprise he is disappointed. I feel disappointed for him too as after the cup we can expect the generational change to begin as preparation starts for the home world cup.
I know we took Symonds injured to the last world cup, but the team despite current performances was stronger and could afford to carry Symonds for a few games, such luxury is no longer affordable.

Jeez, I had forgotten all about Symonds.

As for Hussey, I just don't think you can carry players who might be an injury risk. The squad is small(ish) and it only takes a couple of injuries and you're in trouble. Taking a player who is doubtful for the first few games is a hella risk.

Yeah, he is probably close to our best one day batsman but it's too much of a risk if he isn't fully fit.

Punter is playing dumb. He's half the reason why they won't take a risk on another injured player. Hussey is still really unfit but I completely understand why he is so disappointed.

Yeah he should feel pretty stiff. There's a number of other guys in there who aren't 100% fit so they wouldn't dare take another one. If every other player was full fit they probably would have taken a gamble on Hussey. Unfortunately he was out of luck despite his great ODI record.

I do think we will miss him in the tight games, but it is a grand opportunity for Smith and David Hussey to prove themselves in the lower order.

Back