Its official- The Poms Cheated- Its the only way they'd win!

el-capitano

Its official- The Poms Cheated- Its the only way they'd win!

A HINT of mint made them kings of swing. England's amazing 2005 Ashes victory may have been orchestrated by peppermint sweets, with former batsman Marcus Trescothick revealing that he shone the ball by sucking on the breath fresheners, with breathtaking results.

The unplayable reverse swing generated by Simon Jones and Andrew Flintoff, which tormented the Australians, may have been caused by Murray Mints - which, as with other artificial substances, is illegal when shining the ball. The saliva from these mints aided swinging, Trescothick wrote in his autobiography Coming Back To Me.

"I was firmly established as the man in charge of looking after the ball when we were fielding. It was my job to keep the shine on the new ball for as long as possible with a bit of spit and a lot of polish. And through trial and error I finally settled on the best type of spit for the task at hand,"

Trescothick, who also used the mints during the 2001 Ashes, recalled a comical moment in the Headingley Test: "For the first time, as I dived to gather the ball at square-leg, I landed on my side and a shower of Murray Mints spewed out of my trouser pocket all over the grass right in front of the umpire.

"Fortunately neither he nor the two batsmen seemed to take much notice as I scrambled around on all fours trying desperately to gather in the sweets before they started asking awkward questions."

Trescothick was the second-highest run scorer in the 2005 series behind current England captain Kevin Pietersen. However, it was English bowling that was credited with the boilover, as Australia's batsmen looked all at sea against a barrage of deliveries swinging wildly in both directions.

The 2-1 win by England was their first Ashes victory in 18 years and the entire squad received OBEs or MBEs.

Sucked in: Tresco reveals how Poms swung Ashes - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

Did the creator's of Murray's Mints get an OBE as well? ;)

Re: Its official- The Poms Cheated- Its the only way they'd win!

The underarm was one ball. This was a whole series.
That along with their very unsportsmanlike run out recently - Batton passed !!! (and not dropped).

Always knew they were cheating. ;)

Had to have been. No way they could beat us without........and then get belted 5-0 18 months later ???
Cheating or needing to be swabbed. One of the two !!!

Sums up the poms really can't do it off their own bat so resort to soft, cowardly acts to get the result they want

That ball swung so much it was impossible to do it without tampering.

Glad they owned up in the end. Proves it still goes on.

i knew they couldnt beat australia that easily
i used to like Trescothick but now

Teams including Australia have used all types of agents eg sunscreen lotions to help swing the ball for years. This is no different. 2 key points 1. No Australia player has complained. 2. Trecothick was mainly talking about the 2001 ashes series. England were playing great cricket in 2005 but by the time they came to Australia in 2006 they were injury depleted and struggled for form The 5-0 result was closer than it appears on paper. England should have won in Adelaide and could have won in Melbourne except for some dubious umpiring decisions involving Hayden and Symonds who both made lucky hundreds.
2009 will be very interesting as the aussies are looking a lot weaker now with all the retirements and England are re-building again nicely.

Ashes05;235608 said:
Teams including Australia have used all types of agents eg sunscreen lotions to help swing the ball for years. This is no different. 2 key points 1. No Australia player has complained. 2. Trecothick was mainly talking about the 2001 ashes series.

I don't think many in here are taking it all that seriously either. ;)

Ashes05 said:
England were playing great cricket in 2005 but by the time they came to Australia in 2006 they were injury depleted and struggled for form The 5-0 result was closer than it appears on paper. England should have won in Adelaide and could have won in Melbourne except for some dubious umpiring decisions involving Hayden and Symonds who both made lucky hundreds.

Could have, should have, didn't. The fact is, you lost 5-0. Australia copped dodgy decisions (as did England) in the 2005 Ashes series and also had their share of injuries but you didn't see them whinging about it too much.

Ashes05 said:
2009 will be very interesting as the aussies are looking a lot weaker now with all the retirements and England are re-building again nicely.

A 2-0 loss at home is rebuilding nicely?

Ljp86;235651 said:

Could have, should have, didn't. The fact is, you lost 5-0. Australia copped dodgy decisions (as did England) in the 2005 Ashes series and also had their share of injuries but you didn't see them whinging about it too much.

Whinging? See entire thread.

Smokin Joe;235652 said:
It was 2-1 against a very good South African team who could well beat the Aussies if they play to their potential. In regards to the 5-0 drubbing I mentioned the Adelaide and Melbourne tests just to show that with a little bit of the rub of the green the series would have been closer . I do agree that England had the rub of the green with injuries and some umpire decisions in 2005.

Looking ahead to 2009 these could be the 2 sides to play.

AUSTRALIA
Marsh
Hayden / LHB NSW opener sorry his name escapes me at the minute.
Ponting
M.Hussey
M.Clarke
A.Symonds / S.Watson/ S.Katich / D.Hussey
B.Haddin
B.Lee
Spinner ?. Will be interesting.
M.Johnson/ S.Tait
S.Clark

ENGLAND

A.Cook
A.Strauss
M.Vaughan / O.Shah / Collingwood
K.Pietersen
I.Bell
M.Prior
A.Flintoff
S.Broad / S.Anderson / Sidebottom
S.Harmison
S.Jones
M.Panasaar

On paper I would think England in England could be slight favourites especially if Harmison and Flintoff and Jones are all fit and in form. Will be interesting.

Other point in regards to England re-building I was talking about Flintoff , Harmison, Prior who is a very good bat and can keep ok most of the time as well as Jones coming back plus the continued improvement of Broad. For most of the series against the Proteas these players were not in the picture until the latter tests and one dayers.

I am still not convinced that neither Warney or Trescothick will not play in this series as a one off. Maybe I am dreaming but who knows. Time will tell. Will be great for all us cricket lovers.

PS The sooner this Indian League finishes the better. It is spoiling the real stuff.

Hey I remembered the openers name , Phil Jacques of course.

Smokin Joe;235652 said:

The Kat didn't like it either! :D

trentbridge9.jpg

Ashes05;235980 said:
Hey I remembered the openers name , Phil Jacques of course.

It's Jaques. ;)

Ljp86;235651 said:

Oh definately not much whingeing from the Aussies in that 05 series other than the team and all their supporters :p

eddiesmith;236608 said:
Oh definately not much whingeing from the Aussies in that 05 series other than the team and all their supporters :p

I wasn't whinging all that much. We definitely didn't play our best cricket, not after that first test win.

Calling a team a bunch of cheats isn't new. In fact it's probably the lowest name you can call an individual as well as a team. Trust me nobody likes to be branded cheats by anyone.
Let's hope that the poms take out a defimation charge on the press.

Back