Jumping off the wrong foot :$

louis l

Jumping off the wrong foot :$

Hey im 16 and a left arm opening bowler i have quite an awkward runnup as it is and need to sort it out but i recently realised that i jump off the wrong foot the foot that is on the front foot line is my left and it should be my right i realise ive learnt this through imitating the people i learnt to bowl from whom are all right armers but i am also naturaly left footed and im thinking should i change and jump off the right as i think im going to neeed to re model my runnup and it may be worthwile changing this even for the fact that i shouldnt get as many warnings for running on the pith this way can you help me please ? x :)

Re: Jumping off the wrong foot :$

It's going to be a long process and one that you're going to have to be prepared to work at. You need to relearn to bowl from scratch.

First things first is to find yourself a decent coach who can oversee it, you need to make sure that any changes are positive ones and are not going to increase the risk of injury etc.

The process for me would be to take you back to the very basics, get you bowling from a base position, then off a step, 2 steps and so on.

If you could get a video of your current action then I'm sure that someone can give you some pointers. People have and do jump off the wrong foot, so it's not the end of the world. The key is too make sure that it works for you and is not causing injury - if it does then that's the time to change.

I used bowl off wrong-foot (im right handed), and it is a pain in the arse to change,,, i had to go back to bowling off no run-up just bwling off the right foot then i added a jump into it, then after wasting my first season of u15s gettin this right i slowly increased my run. The hard thing in changing was then doing the upper body because of the base i always naturally pulled it away from the right hander because thats the way everything else went so the ball followed towards slips but you have re-do the top half getting it landing right ...

But ye just get a few mates who'll do some keeping/batting and bowl from stationary.

Not unless it's causing problems. I strongly advise seeing a decent coach who can look at your action over the course of 10 overs or so.

Hmmmm my freinds grandad says not to and he was manager off lancashire but he also sed he was a batsmen so to ask a bowling coach his opinion :$ i just dont know if it will effect me atall except for the warnings for running on the wicket

Shoudn't effect you anymore than a normal action. In some ways, you may actually be better off as you spend less time on the front foot; so you reduce the strain on the front knee and hip.

Looks for clips of Max Walker, Mike Proctor and more recently the Pakistani player, Tanvir.

You don't say [or I may have missed it], but as you are an opener, I assume you are a pace bowler.

You also don't say whether you are a front on or side on bowler.

Either way, you will never reach your pace potential with your current action.

If you are a front on bowler, you could probably get away with it but if you are a side on bowler, you will probably spend the most of your adult life in pain due to the abnormal stresses you are placing on your spine.

To be honest with you, it would be impossible to answer your question without seeing your action. If you can post a video we'll have a look for you. If not, make sure you get a bowling coach, preferably an ABSAT coach.

yer i should of slid in that i was a side-on wrong foot bowler and my back has never felt right because of it( Oh, i'm chest on now because i wanted a change and the bowling coach i see has confirmed it), but since changing ithe action my backs never felt as bad as it did when i bowled off wrong foot(what you get for letting anybody receive an ecb coaching sticker) .

phil2oo8;331635 said:
(what you get for letting anybody receive an ecb coaching sticker) .

Depends on what level and also what they've done with it since. Never go to anyone with less than a level 2 for advice and preferably coaches who have completed the CDW's.

Having the ABSAT is no bad thing either.

Well today i had a net and i got someone to look at my action and they said that i jump off different feet depending on what im bowling so as my stock ball is the inswinger i jump mainly off the left but when i bowl my outswinger im jumping off the right any ideas about why im doing this my pace was good today but lower back abit stiff

There are many reasons why you might be doing this and to be honest, without a video of all your different balls, I would be guessing.

If you cannot get hold of a video, go and see a biomechanist; there should be one attached to the county.

Yerp i will do hopefully i can get it sorted my action will be alot smoother and more consitent and when you get down to it consistency is everything

louis l;331008 said:
Hey im 16 and a left arm opening bowler i have quite an awkward runnup as it is and need to sort it out but i recently realised that i jump off the wrong foot the foot that is on the front foot line is my left and it should be my right i realise ive learnt this through imitating the people i learnt to bowl from whom are all right armers but i am also naturaly left footed and im thinking should i change and jump off the right as i think im going to neeed to re model my runnup and it may be worthwile changing this even for the fact that i shouldnt get as many warnings for running on the pith this way can you help me please ? x :)

Louis, my son's 10 years old and is starting his first season with a club and I noticed there was something up with his bowling action and I video'd him last Saturday and I've just been watching some Slo - Mo clips of Brett Lee and now I realise the problem with my son is that he does the very same thing and yet he's a Right Arm bowler. You'll have to update this thread and let us know how you get on. I think I face a big problem as my son being 10 isn't going to react that well to being told he's doing it wrong when he actually bowls fairly fast, gets the ball to swing outwards and takes shed loads of wickets. I'll try and upload the clip tonight to youtube (It's a massive file though).

Oooh! Dave!

To be honest, there is a lot wrong with your son's action but to be even more honest, he will only work on it if he wants to. The problem is, if he likes the results he is getting he will be happy to keep it. Unfortunately, he is limiting his progression hugely and setting himself up for serious injury.

It looks, from this angle that your son has a mixed action. Feet are side on so stick with this. His back foot action is poor and his follow through worse, although his arm action is really good. However, one thing at a time, he needs to take the action back to base and introduce all three knee lifts. When he can raise back foot, front foot, back foot straight through, introduce the run up again.

Yep that's what I thought you'd say! It's gonna be difficult and I run the risk of putting him off playing. I'll have to see how it goes.

Liz can you explain in more detail or direct me somewhere I can find out more about the three knee lifts please?

Actually I spoke to him tonight about it and he was okay with the comments that I made. I think it helps that he sees some of the other kids in the nets bowling amazingly well (Slightly older) and he's envious of their technique, so he may be really up for it? He took notice of what I was saying and was trying to go through the action using the right leg - so who knows - it looks promising?

Sounds promising Dave. This is the perfect age to get him too. I wish a lot of the guys I work with were taken in hand when they were ten.

With the knee lifts, get him to raise his right knee [hip, knee and ankle at 90 degree flexion]... at a step forward, place it down solidly with his right foot 85 - 90 degrees to the wicket... raise the left knee [same as above]... at a step forward, place it down solidly, foot parallel to the wicket... raise the right knee again but this time push the foot forward as if he is about to kick a football... keep this leg travelling forward, at the moment he kicks it out to the right... ask him to continue walking half the length of the wicket.

When he has worn this new neuropathway into his brain pattern, get him to increase his pace and include his run up. When he is doing this, come back and we can progress the movement.

It may help if you get him a good book; Ian's is fantastic! You can get it though micoach or if you buy it direct from Ian, he will probably sign it for him :)

If you can afford it, I really do recommend you get him to a good coach to get him the best start possible; he can then progress on this solid foundation. Again, Ian will always be my first recommendation for pace bowlers.

Back