Jumping off the wrong foot :$

Re: Jumping off the wrong foot :$

Neuropathway - that's the word I've been looking for with regards The Googly Syndrome. Where when you learn the Googly it is so radically different from the Leg Break if you do it so much it re-wires your brain and you can no longer bowl the Leg Break and you have to re-learn the leg break from scratch. Is that what it means?

I'll look out for the Ian Pont book.

This is interesting especially in view of the James Anderson news at the minute (yesterday) relating to his unorthodox action, where he's gone back to it after having coaches try and tweak him back into a orthodox action - what do you reckon to that story?

someblokecalleddave;341385 said:
Neuropathway - that's the word I've been looking for with regards The Googly Syndrome. Where when you learn the Googly it is so radically different from the Leg Break if you do it so much it re-wires your brain and you can no longer bowl the Leg Break and you have to re-learn the leg break from scratch. Is that what it means?

You're on the right lines but if done properly, you should be able to keep both pathways open.

someblokecalleddave;341385 said:
This is interesting especially in view of the James Anderson news at the minute (yesterday) relating to his unorthodox action, where he's gone back to it after having coaches try and tweak him back into a orthodox action - what do you reckon to that story?

There is a lot said by a lot of people who really do not know what they are talking about; a case of a little knowledge and all that.

I cannot talk about Anderson's case in specifics because I do not know all the facts but there is not anything wrong per se with an unorthodox action, as long as it is safe. Unorthodox does not necessarily mean dangerous. These guys are put through a lot of studies; their bone flexibility, soft tissue elasticity and range of motion are tested thoroughly before any decision is taken. You can be sure that there will be a good reason for any course of action.

At a grassroots level, I have huge issues with coaches trying to change what they consider to be an unorthodox action. Unless they have a good understanding of the neuromuscular system and knowledge of movement at a cellular level, they should refer. Unfortunately few do, often resulting in ruined players :mad:

Hey dave tbh i think its best to tell him to change it now my freind who is a right arm bowler also jumps off the wrong foot and the amount off work hes had to put in now after over 8 years off bowling is miles more then hed have to put in at a young age id suggest starting off without a ball then with then one step and so on its what i did at lancs any way :) I have found it relatively easy to change my jumping foot but as a result im feeling knicks in my back so ive defo gota sort it out to try and prevent injury i also think ive droped a little pace any ideas anyone as to why this has happend ?

Louis, yeah he's responded fairly positively to the suggestion that he needs to change the action, so when the weather permits it we'll work on it and as you say we'll start without using a ball and do it stage by stage.

Ive been reading in the ian pont book that your body remembers certain movements and they become sort off instinct so i think its going to take changing it all and then making the jumping off the correct foot instinct

yer im with louis, when i bowled off the wrong foot i had a much taller action that had quick arms/whippy arms,,,, but since correcting it my arms arent whippy more forced and i have a much longer follow through and deeper shoulder rotation. There are going to be parts of his action that have been caused/compensated by his mistakes but when he corrects the major mistakes these compensations may not flow with the action, so he might have change alot more then your expecting.

The good thing is he only started bowling at the end of last summer and we haven't really started playing cricket this year yet and at his cricket club it's rare that he gets to bowl, so the chances are it's not going to be that difficult to get him to change (If he's up for it). So I'm optimistic.

Im thinking its just from bowling alot cus i bowled for over 3 hours today so i think some rest is all it needs and today my speed was realy up fastest ive ever bowled i think :)

Sounds great Dave...

Now for the really, really important bit and don't wait too long before you introduce it.

If you look at Ben's video, you will see that, although his femur is rotated at the hip, his hips actually face, parallel to the wicket. This is what is going to cause his injuries.

After his first hip lift, as his back foot is placed, his hips must face in the same direction as his foot, ie 90 degrees to the wicket.

However, his head must face parallel to the wicket. He needs to be looking towards the stumps.

As his non bowling arm comes down, get him to flex his elbow and drive this down and through in a straight line. As his arm passes his sight, he MUST look to the left of it. This will keep his shoulders in alignment with his hips. At the moment, he is looking to the right of his arm.

As his back foot is lifted off the ground, he must drive his hips round to face the stumps. He does this at the hip, not the foot. It is important that he does not fling his lower leg out; it must move in a straight line, parallel to the wicket.

Good work :)

louis l;342021 said:
Im thinking its just from bowling alot cus i bowled for over 3 hours today so i think some rest is all it needs and today my speed was realy up fastest ive ever bowled i think :)

I understand what you are saying but you are dealing with the symptoms, not the cause. Often, this is biomechanical. If you rest, you will improve but if you do not correct the biomechanics, the issue will return and you will get yourself into a cycle of injury... rest... injury... rest... etc.

Keep an eye on it :)

Liz Ward;342166 said:
Sounds great Dave...

Now for the really, really important bit and don't wait too long before you introduce it.

If you look at Ben's video, you will see that, although his femur is rotated at the hip, his hips actually face, parallel to the wicket. This is what is going to cause his injuries.

After his first hip lift, as his back foot is placed, his hips must face in the same direction as his foot, ie 90 degrees to the wicket.

However, his head must face parallel to the wicket. He needs to be looking towards the stumps.

As his non bowling arm comes down, get him to flex his elbow and drive this down and through in a straight line. As his arm passes his sight, he MUST look to the left of it. This will keep his shoulders in alignment with his hips. At the moment, he is looking to the right of his arm.

As his back foot is lifted off the ground, he must drive his hips round to face the stumps. He does this at the hip, not the foot. It is important that he does not fling his lower leg out; it must move in a straight line, parallel to the wicket.

Good work :)

What I'll do is save all this for reference and when we get an opportunity next I'll video him (Sooner rather than later) and get you to have a look at the new approach. The bit at the end there - re flinging his leg out is does this relate to the point where his arm is coming over at the same time - so if he's not swining the leg out (As spin bowlers do)? I take it there's a bend at the knee action and he moves forwards in line with direction he's bowling. (Which make sense)?

someblokecalleddave;342170 said:
What I'll do is save all this for reference and when we get an opportunity next I'll video him (Sooner rather than later) and get you to have a look at the new approach.

Good, but don't let him bowl with the mixed action he has at the moment for long. I know he may be resistent to add new things but you must get him out of it before it injures him... and the longer he bowls this way, the harder it will be to change :).

someblokecalleddave;342170 said:
The bit at the end there - re flinging his leg out is does this relate to the point where his arm is coming over at the same time - so if he's not swining the leg out (As spin bowlers do)? I take it there's a bend at the knee action and he moves forwards in line with direction he's bowling. (Which make sense)?

Not a lot, though this is the third knee raise... he brings his leg through as if he is kicking a football at the stumps.

Good because that's what he's doing naturally (the football kick thing) and I was erring towards getting him to some round sideways a bit which now seems obviously wrong as a fast bowler - he'll be pleased about that.

someblokecalleddave;342183 said:
Good because that's what he's doing naturally (the football kick thing) and I was erring towards getting him to some round sideways a bit which now seems obviously wrong as a fast bowler - he'll be pleased about that.
Just try and make sure everything is powering towards the target for maximum pace thats the problem i have i shut my action off a bit and need to work on it

Louis - he's doing alright, he had a training session today and they played an indoors game, he gets the Yips a bit as he's one of the newer kids with virtually no experience of cricket and he's intimidated by the situation a bit. He had an over and his first ball he got mixed up with his new action and his old action and it was a mess, but then he remembered what he had to do and he took one for nothing, I think it was the best over of the game and he won the game for 'em! His coach was impressed. So he's coming along nicely, give a few more months and he'll be half decent I reckon.

Good to hear it he seems to be bowling well now would be good if you could video him bowling towards the end off the season so as i could see the difference in his action as it may help me a little in working out whats up with my action a bit / lancs just keep on going back to my runnup :( i correct it and folow there instructions and its still my runnup not good !

Back