Jumping off the wrong foot :$

Re: Jumping off the wrong foot :$

louis l;343682 said:
Good to hear it he seems to be bowling well now would be good if you could video him bowling towards the end off the season so as i could see the difference in his action as it may help me a little in working out whats up with my action a bit / lancs just keep on going back to my runnup :( i correct it and folow there instructions and its still my runnup not good !

What I'll have to do is video him now before he starts to play a lot of cricket. As I said he's getting there, it's a bit jerky and exaggerated but he no longer does that weird bit in the middle which was the main thing we needed to correct. We should start to play a lot of cricket soon, all the kids on our estate have been coming up to me and asking if we're going to play cricket this summer and they're all well up for it so if I can get that going soon (Maybe this weekend) it should see him get a lot smoother very quickly as it means we play cricket nearly every single day. So I'll try and film him.

With regards your own delivery, have you tried slowing it down with just a couple of steps walking into the leap off the left foot and then pivoting and following through? Doing it in an almost exaggerated way and then build up from there?

Hi there, sorry for replying to such an old thread... I dont have privilege to post a new thread yet.

My 7yo son has literally just picked up a cricket ball and is sharpish for his age. One of the other dads (who played state cricket here in Oz) immediately exclaimed "he's bowling off the wrong foot" which I had never heard of, but took to mean that his front foot is right not left (right arm bowler). Is this correct?

I personally can't see it but if I post a video here can you please confirm his observation for me?

Muchos gracias

Kurve67, welcome to the forum, no worries about digging up an old thread, sometimes it helps to show your issue is not unique and also gives you the chance to look at previous comments that may have been useful. If you could post a video I am sure there will be someone who will take a look.

Hi there, sorry for replying to such an old thread... I dont have privilege to post a new thread yet.

My 7yo son has literally just picked up a cricket ball and is sharpish for his age. One of the other dads (who played state cricket here in Oz) immediately exclaimed "he's bowling off the wrong foot" which I had never heard of, but took to mean that his front foot is right not left (right arm bowler). Is this correct?

I personally can't see it but if I post a video here can you please confirm his observation for me?

Muchos gracias
My son had the same issue and I had a similar issue when I took up bowling 8 years ago, get a video on youtube or similar and let us see and we'll have a look. I sorted my son out in an afternoon.

I do this, kind of skip back on the right foot as my right arm comes over rather than running straight through smoothly.

matt_johnson140786.jpg

I was trying to think of the last player I'd seen bowl like this at a high level, Matt Johnson from the Hobart Hurricanes a couple seasons back, it actually looks really funny when you see someone do it. Also probably not the best advertisement for bowling like that, he's pretty crap...

Can anyone think of any other examples either present or past?

A friend just pointed out that Aussie great Max Walker bowled off the wrong leg and did just fine as a medium fast seamer in the 70s. His nickname 'tangles' supposedly references this. Ditto Alan Thomson's moniker 'froggy'.

Hi,
Sorry for bringing up this old forum but I have been jumping off my wrong foot too. I usually have back pain after bowling and after looking through the thread I see the problem

Hi,
Sorry for bringing up this old forum but I have been jumping off my wrong foot too. I usually have back pain after bowling and after looking through the thread I see the problem

Change it as soon as you can if you think it is a problem, I bowled off the wrong foot for 4 or 5 years and then changed it in an hour or so. The improvement in the longer term was exponential. Do you know how to get started?

Not that I play properly anymore these days but I've tried it just mucking around and seriously found it absolutely impossible to do.
What to bowl off the correct foot? Both my older son and I used to jump off the wrong foot, but someone saw him doing it and said to me, you need to get that nipped in the bud mate, get him to correct it now while he's only 9. Despite the fact that I used to do the same thing it was easy for me to show him what to do and correct it, he managed it in half an hour or so. I carried on doing it wrong and had to wait till my younger son was about 9 before he was able to show me! What it comes down to is basically looking how it's done and the do it without a ball in the slowest most exaggerated way ever, with someone watching who bowls correctly - telling you yes that's right. Once you've got it (you look a complete pillock doing it initially), just keep doing it and as with my younger son... half and hour of working with it and you'll generally get it and almost straight away appreciate that it feels that much faster with far more potential.

What to bowl off the correct foot? Both my older son and I used to jump off the wrong foot, but someone saw him doing it and said to me, you need to get that nipped in the bud mate, get him to correct it now while he's only 9. Despite the fact that I used to do the same thing it was easy for me to show him what to do and correct it, he managed it in half an hour or so. I carried on doing it wrong and had to wait till my younger son was about 9 before he was able to show me! What it comes down to is basically looking how it's done and the do it without a ball in the slowest most exaggerated way ever, with someone watching who bowls correctly - telling you yes that's right. Once you've got it (you look a complete pillock doing it initially), just keep doing it and as with my younger son... half and hour of working with it and you'll generally get it and almost straight away appreciate that it feels that much faster with far more potential.
lol I'm talking about me at age 34. I'm not sure if I'll even play properly again and only usually ever bowled a couple of overs of dinky mediums when I did so it's not so much and issue.

Just tried to see if for interest sake if I could change it.

lol I'm talking about me at age 34. I'm not sure if I'll even play properly again and only usually ever bowled a couple of overs of dinky mediums when I did so it's not so much and issue.

Just tried to see if for interest sake if I could change it.
I changed mine in my 50's!!! (But as you know I didn't start playing till I was 46).

Hi
I have been trying to change in my garden and a few days agi, I thought I finally managed to do it. But I played a match for my club today and I couldn't get any rhythm in my run up and I kept stopping when bowling at the crease. I was bowling with my full run up. Should I practice with my full run up or shorten my run up until I get it right

Hi
I have been trying to change in my garden and a few days agi, I thought I finally managed to do it. But I played a match for my club today and I couldn't get any rhythm in my run up and I kept stopping when bowling at the crease. I was bowling with my full run up. Should I practice with my full run up or shorten my run up until I get it right
Just keep working on it and don't be tempted to revert back to your old method.

Back