Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Boris

Active Member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

League never really started in Melbourne. The Storm was filled with players from other states for huge amounts of money (hence the salary cap breaches).

No wonder they kept winning when they were paying the amount they were for the best players countrywide.

Melbourne will probably now go back to the 'other' sport.
 

Ljp86

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Boris;397971 said:
League never really started in Melbourne. The Storm was filled with players from other states for huge amounts of money (hence the salary cap breaches).

No wonder they kept winning when they were paying the amount they were for the best players countrywide.

Melbourne will probably now go back to the 'other' sport.
The one that is five times better?
 

Boris

Active Member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Ljp86;397981 said:
The one that is five times better?
I would REALLY like to argue that, but if I did I'm pretty sure I'd have all the mods and admins on my case! :D:D:D
 

Ljp86

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Boris;397987 said:
I would REALLY like to argue that, but if I did I'm pretty sure I'd have all the mods and admins on my case! :D:D:D
brickwaller99;397989 said:
Five times better? Only sport I see that you can be thinking of is cricket?
NRL is a rubbish sport, inferior game played mostly by a bunch of clowns. Today only further proves it.
 

Kram81

Well-Known Member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

The NRL are idiots making the rest of the Storm's season irrelevant, may as well pack them up now. Surely there was a better way to deal with the situation?

It's a crap game anyway, probably good news for Melbourne's new Union side which is actually a half decent code :)
 

cold case

Active Member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Ljp86;398002 said:
NRL is a rubbish sport, inferior game played mostly by a bunch of clowns. Today only further proves it.
I agree. Almost as bad as gridiron. Any AFL player with some sort of size could bulk up with a few roids, learn how to throw/pass and speak like Sylvester Stallone. Ready made rugby player, I would have thought.
I doubt that too many of the beefcakes could do vice versa. They would have the Stallone lingo down pat though.
 

macca

Active Member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

What impressed me about AFL when i lived in the great state of Victoria was how everybody from doctors and professors down to garbos and legspinners followed the game. In newsouth mainly knuckleheads get right into league.

They could still improve aussie rules by substituting a greased up pig for the football, I might watch that.
 

Boris

Active Member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Are you forgetting that AFL is Australia's gridiron?

We pay out grid iron so much, how stupid it is. The only people in the entire world that understands or likes AFL is pretty much Victorians and some from other states.

It's also like grid iron in that it has so many stupid laws. Sometimes I feel I have to sit there with an AFL book for dummies to understand it. To understand grid iron you pretty much need a doctorate it's so complicated.

AFL is just too 'free for all' for me. To the untrained eye it looks like a bunch marathon runners running around pushing each other for no reason. Then they all crowd around the ball and it looks like an under 9s soccer game. Suddenly the ball breaks free and the entire team follows with it's arms outstretched, ocasionally some incredibly accurate kick happens, but until then it looks completely in shambles.

At least with League to the untrained eye it looks like there is a set structure and that everyone knows what they are doing.

Union is pretty much for homesexually orientated sadists who have nothing better to do than jump on top of one another and then start beating the crap out of them for no reason whatsoever.

I don't like any football code in general, but for me the RL is the only one I can really watch.
 
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

That AFL part is a bit biased. You know they can't kick accurately. They only manage to get it between two posts 10m apart about every second time at best. AFL is nowhere near as good as you make out. NRL on the other hand is about as exciting to watch as grid iron. Dead boring but at least i can watch it without screaming stupid bloody poofs at the tv like Australia's other three codes.
 

Boris

Active Member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

brickwaller99;398166 said:
That AFL part is a bit biased. You know they can't kick accurately.
Come to think of it the kicking in NRL is actually more accurate and consistent...
 

Ljp86

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Kram81 said:
The NRL are idiots making the rest of the Storm's season irrelevant, may as well pack them up now. Surely there was a better way to deal with the situation?

It's a crap game anyway, probably good news for Melbourne's new Union side which is actually a half decent code
Do the crime you do the time. The NRL warned all clubs that harsher penalties would be imposed after Canterbury were heavily penalised for their salary cap breaches in 2002. The Storm were dumb enough to do it anyway and do it for five years. Pretty stupid thing to do.

Boris;398152 said:
Are you forgetting that AFL is Australia's gridiron?
No it isn't actually, we don't throw the ball. Both Rugby codes would be a lot closer to gridiron that what AFL is.

Boris said:
We pay out grid iron so much, how stupid it is. The only people in the entire world that understands or likes AFL is pretty much Victorians and some from other states.
Victoria, Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory all have AFL as their football "code", that's five states and territories out of the eight in total.

Boris said:
It's also like grid iron in that it has so many stupid laws. Sometimes I feel I have to sit there with an AFL book for dummies to understand it. To understand grid iron you pretty much need a doctorate it's so complicated.

AFL is just too 'free for all' for me. To the untrained eye it looks like a bunch marathon runners running around pushing each other for no reason. Then they all crowd around the ball and it looks like an under 9s soccer game. Suddenly the ball breaks free and the entire team follows with it's arms outstretched, ocasionally some incredibly accurate kick happens, but until then it looks completely in shambles.
That would be the worst analogy of a game I've ever heard. You're not even making any sense now.

Boris said:
At least with League to the untrained eye it looks like there is a set structure and that everyone knows what they are doing.
Barely. For starters you have to pass backwards to go forwards which makes as much sense as a one-legged man in an arse kicking contest.

Boris said:
Union is pretty much for homesexually orientated sadists who have nothing better to do than jump on top of one another and then start beating the crap out of them for no reason whatsoever.
Post this rubbish again you'll earn yourself an infraction.

brickwaller99 said:
That AFL part is a bit biased. You know they can't kick accurately. They only manage to get it between two posts 10m apart about every second time at best. AFL is nowhere near as good as you make out.
Rugby League uses two main kicks in a game, kicking for a drop goal/conversion/kick after try or break and kicking after the tackle count has expired. AFL uses more variety of kicking styles and most would be used in a game (drop punt, torpedo, screw kicks, dribble kicks, bananas etc. Kicking for goal in an AFL game is tougher than in a Rugby game.

brickwaller99 said:
NRL on the other hand is about as exciting to watch as grid iron. Dead boring but at least i can watch it without screaming stupid bloody poofs at the tv like Australia's other three codes.
Which is why AFL will always be better than NRL. NRL is boring, gameplay is slow and most of the interest revolves around scoring tries which isn't guaranteed to happen that often. AFL is different, there's the kicking, handballing, the big marks, miraculous goals, watching a player run and carry the ball whilst bouncing it, great tackles etc and there's just a much more enjoyable and exciting atmosphere at the game. It's also more friendly to girls/women who can go down and watch their team and cheer them on without having to put up with drunken idiots which are typical at a Rugby match.

Let's face it, AFL is always going to trump NRL, just about in every aspect of the game. And with the constant news headlines created by NRL for all the wrong reasons on a regular basis, it's no wonder why people are turning away from the game.

Boris;398172 said:
Come to think of it the kicking in NRL is actually more accurate and consistent...
Not really. I'd say it's about even.
 

eddiesmith

Active Member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Now come on, League is a great game, you kick the ball off, then a player picks it up, runs untill he gets hit, then he rolls it backwards, someone else throws it backwards and then he runs to get back to where the ball was thrown from where he gets hit, repeat 5 times then another kick and the opposition starts over.

The most amazing thing is when there isnt anyone tackling them they cant even pick the ball up off the deck, occassionally the players struggle to do the very difficult task of putting it down and rolling it backwards, I can understand league fans not understanding AFL when their game is so simple, perfect for...No, better not ;)

Atleast AFL has some skill and is attacking, alot more entertaining than League, dont have 0-0 scores at half time in AFL
 

macca

Active Member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

I didn't know anything about AFL until we moved to rural victoria for a few years. At first it looked like a bunch of blokes fighting over a wet bar of soap.


I started watching AFL because there was no NRL broadcast before mid night. I learnt to appreciate the incredible skill and kicking involved in the Australian game. I even learnt how to kick an oval ball porperly, that is, aussie rules style.

I also learnt Australian Rules was large developed as winter training for cricketers so I could see the worlds greatest winter sport has a strong link with the worlds greatest summer sport.

I still love my Newcastle Knights though, drug felons and all.
 

Boris

Active Member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Nobody is ever going to agree, their home game is their home game.

Firstly the Northern Territory's largest sport is NRL, the supply a big part of Northern Queensland's higher grades if the decide to try to make the NRL since the NT doesn't have a team.

I think the kicking/passing forward ruins the game a little. When that happens you have people running everywhere and then comes about the annoyingly confusing off side rules. There is that challenge in passing backward to move forward, otherwise you would have people running to the end of the field trying to catch super hero throws.

I also think AFL is in between fitness components. NRL players you have to be powerful, strong and quick. AFL players have to be much more aerobically fit, more endurance athletes. But then AFL followers pride themselves on the big hits. An AFL player could run rings around an NRL player, but if that AFL player gets anywhere too close to them and with one hit they are down for the rest of the game, and yet you supporters play on the big hits of AFL?

AFL is played in 4 states of Australia. Rugby League is played in how many countries worldwide?

How many countries play Grid Iron? Hence my comparison between the two. Other countries pay out Australia's national football code because no other country plays nor wants to play it. Where is the fun in playing club on club?

Ljp86;398214 said:
Post this rubbish again you'll earn yourself an infraction.
Just to clear myself up on this. I was talking tongue in cheek.

I tried out Union for one season at school.

During my time playing I discovered it is extremely dirtily played. You find yourself in the rucks being spat at, kicked, punched, groped (I actually felt like wearing a box the amount of times other guys grabbed that area and squeezed... hence the homosexual comment), insulted, etc.

It is really a game I cannot understand. It would be fine if people played it as the rules say, but that doesn't happen. I have played 4 games in total before I was injured and decided it was too risky to play, plus being 4 of the most non-enjoyable games I have played in my life of any sport.
 
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Boris;398152 said:
Are you forgetting that AFL is Australia's gridiron?

We pay out grid iron so much, how stupid it is. The only people in the entire world that understands or likes AFL is pretty much Victorians and some from other states.

It's also like grid iron in that it has so many stupid laws. Sometimes I feel I have to sit there with an AFL book for dummies to understand it. To understand grid iron you pretty much need a doctorate it's so complicated.

AFL is just too 'free for all' for me. To the untrained eye it looks like a bunch marathon runners running around pushing each other for no reason. Then they all crowd around the ball and it looks like an under 9s soccer game. Suddenly the ball breaks free and the entire team follows with it's arms outstretched, ocasionally some incredibly accurate kick happens, but until then it looks completely in shambles.

At least with League to the untrained eye it looks like there is a set structure and that everyone knows what they are doing.

Union is pretty much for homesexually orientated sadists who have nothing better to do than jump on top of one another and then start beating the crap out of them for no reason whatsoever.

I don't like any football code in general, but for me the RL is the only one I can really watch.
The Lions get good crowds at the Gabba, normally 30 000+.

AFL is a great game when played at the highest quality, the skill on show is enormous, and it's not just pure skill. Also, other factors like courage and endurance come into the play. Some of these guys run enormous distances during a match, and it's real hard 'gut' running.

Sometimes you see a player go into a marking contest and wonder how they got out alive, the courage, in a relative sporting sense, is amazing.
 
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

In saying that, AFL is also a very tedious game when it turns in what I call a "rolling maul".

Just 3/4's of each team surrounding the ball and making it impossible for any player to get a clear disposal; Sydney used to play the game that way, and it was amazingly boring.
 

Ljp86

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Boris;398270 said:
Nobody is ever going to agree, their home game is their home game.

Firstly the Northern Territory's largest sport is NRL, the supply a big part of Northern Queensland's higher grades if the decide to try to make the NRL since the NT doesn't have a team.
Boris, you are so completely and utterly wrong it isn't even funny anymore. The Australian Bureau of Statistics' latest report on sport participation and attendence in the Northern Territory provided the following information.

Firstly on participation,

4156.0.55.001 - Perspectives on Sport, May 2009

Australian Rules football recorded the highest participation rate in five out of the eight states and territories as well as the highest number of participants in those states and territories. These were Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory. Australian Rules football was less popular in New South Wales, Queensland and the Australian Capital Territory.
Looking at the relevent graph you can clearly see Australian Rules football has a higher participation rate in the NT than compared to Rugby league with Australian rules at almost 3% compared to rugby league at a little over 2%.

Then we move onto attendence,

The highest attendance rates for Australian Rules football were reported in South Australia (31%), Tasmania (30%) and Victoria (28%). People in Queensland and New South Wales reported low attendance rates for Australian Rules football with 7.4% and 4.7% respectively.

Conversely, high rates of attendance for Rugby League were reported for New South Wales (17%), Queensland (16%) and the Australian Capital Territory (14%). Attendance rates in the remaining states and territories were all less than 4%. Not surprisingly, the states and territories that had low attendance rates for Rugby League had the highest attendance rates for Australian Rules football.
NT's attendence rates for Australian rules football are more than 15%, rugby league can barely get over 3% with the relevent graph showing a huge gap between the two.

It's very clear to me that the Northern Territory is an AFL-centric state, quite strongly in fact and this has been the case for some time. More and more players from the NT are playing in domestic leagues in the VFL, WAFL and SANFL with a fair portion of these youngsters going onto play in the AFL. The AFL will play two games in Darwin this year, doubling the amount of games played in the city over the past few years. How many games of NRL will be played there? I suspect none.
 
Top