mitchell johnson

Re: mitchell johnson

Squiz;103147 said:
Hope he isn't in the Ashes squad. He's becoming a good bowler but isn't ready for the big time. Don't mind him being played in the ODIs though.

Surely Stuart Clark is a walk-up start after his debut South African tour and his recent brilliant game for NSW. He took 6 for 39 off 21 overs (after 2/33 in the first innings) as well as making 62 with the bat, winning the game for NSW after they were 4-1.

personally i think tait will ruffle a few Pommy feathers. Johnson's a bit young and is easily put away when low on confidence. Clark is a good chance to bowl alongside Pigeon and Binga. Dizzy is unlucky after his awesome Bangla series.

Johnson and Tait will be stars, its plain ignorance if you can't see that Johnson has the potential.

gillyrulz;103033 said:
in my point of veiw..............i think johnson is a dud who cant handle the big time..
sure he has had one good game but every other games he has been smacked around and bowled absoulutely ****
he doesnt deserve to be in the ashes team and if he was we would lose for sure.
Oh how harsh.... The guy has got a bit of confidence up but you are giving him an awful amount of ribbing.

johnson got out martyn and hussey. two batsman that are one of the best in the world. it shows he can get out premier batsman. i think at the moment its a toss up between johnson (the hometown boy) and stuart clark (after a load of wickets last week). i dont think tait is quite up there, as he may be a bit erratic, and lee is already that type of really quick blistering pace bowler, but sometimes wayward.

It wasn't long ago some people in the media were suggesting that Australia would struggle in the fast bowling department. At the moment we have Tait, Clark, Johnson battling for one spot. Tait and Clark may have the edge on Johnson but he will definitely be a weapon in the future.

I would think that Johnson would be the front runner for the Brisbane test. He plays for Queensland and will have the experience up their to extract the best out of the GABBA surface.

trescothick101;113333 said:
johnson got out martyn and hussey. two batsman that are one of the best in the world. it shows he can get out premier batsman. i think at the moment its a toss up between johnson (the hometown boy) and stuart clark (after a load of wickets last week). i dont think tait is quite up there, as he may be a bit erratic, and lee is already that type of really quick blistering pace bowler, but sometimes wayward.

and just think back to the Champions Trophy. He got rid of Tendulkar, Dravid and Co, plus he ripped a few other teams up too.

did enough against WA to suggest he'l get the nod in the first test, just ahead of tait. selectors love lefties and they'l enjoy the injection of youth

thekid178;113886 said:
did enough against WA to suggest he'l get the nod in the first test, just ahead of tait. selectors love lefties and they'l enjoy the injection of youth
I don't really think Tait is in the equation. It's out of Clark and Johnson IMO.

Squiz;113902 said:
I don't really think Tait is in the equation. It's out of Clark and Johnson IMO.

tait has been bowling smoke, and he smashed them in the PM's XI, think he has to be in the mix. ur probably right about clark being ahead of him but i just wouldnt pick, we already have a bowler like him in mcgrath, need some variety, especially to exploit the bouncy faster conditions out here that they arent yet used to...

Australia's future is very bright watching the PM's game and the domestic comp.

thekid178;113915 said:
tait has been bowling smoke, and he smashed them in the PM's XI, think he has to be in the mix. ur probably right about clark being ahead of him but i just wouldnt pick, we already have a bowler like him in mcgrath, need some variety, especially to exploit the bouncy faster conditions out here that they arent yet used to...

The LAST thing I'd worry about is having a similar bowler to arguably the greatest fast bowler of all time. That involves a helluva lot of pressure on the opposition. That can only be a huge asset. Especially after 20 wicket debut in South Africa. For variety, we still have the fastest bowler in the world, who'll swing it, and the world's greatest ever leg-spinner. Enough variety there for me.

Clark for me.

jimthegreat;114306 said:
The LAST thing I'd worry about is having a similar bowler to arguably the greatest fast bowler of all time. That involves a helluva lot of pressure on the opposition. That can only be a huge asset. Especially after 20 wicket debut in South Africa. For variety, we still have the fastest bowler in the world, who'll swing it, and the world's greatest ever leg-spinner. Enough variety there for me.

Clark for me.

hasnt clark been regarded as the next mcgrath? it youre after variety, well we havent really seen a 'legend killer' like Johnson for a bit.

rumblah;114387 said:
hasnt clark been regarded as the next mcgrath? it youre after variety, well we havent really seen a 'legend killer' like Johnson for a bit.

It's not so much about variety as about pressure. That's what will get wickets in the long run. The rest is just theory. If you're similar to McGrath, Man of the Series in your only series, that can only be a bonus. Anything close to similar to the greatest fast bowler of all time (well, arguably anyway) is good enough for me. That can only be a positive. Screw variety when you apply that much pressure. He's the only one of the bowlers competing for the last spot that has the "performances on the board" at Test level. We make the mistake too often of playing blokes off their one-day form (Symonds, Clarke) only to find it's a different game at Test level (Johnson did do very well in the last Pura Cup game though).

Bump.

After the performances of "The Hilf" on Tuesday night, and Stu Clark in the Ashes, how do you rate everyones favourite international cricketer, the 25 year old "youngster" that averages 31.70 in domestic?

Where is he in the pecking order now?

SouthSwans;127606 said:
Bump.

After the performances of "The Hilf" on Tuesday night, and Stu Clark in the Ashes, how do you rate everyones favourite international cricketer, the 25 year old "youngster" that averages 31.70 in domestic?

Where is he in the pecking order now?

He's still thereabouts.

Hilfenhaus performed well in the Twenty20 game but you must remember that it was only a Twenty20. If Lee and Johnson were playing, Hilfenhaus would have been 12th man.

With McGrath now retired from test match cricket, the bowling will be lead by Brett Lee and Stuart Clark with probably MacGill as the spinner. Then we have Johnson and Hilfenhaus fighting for the last pace bowler spot. Johnson is still right up there but Hilfenhaus' performance will be kept in mind by the selectors and the fight will be to see who will get that last spot.

There's still a lot of time till Australia's next test match which is in November. They'll both have to keep up their good form till then.

Back