Moises Henriques

ants14

Moises Henriques

How good to people thing this bloke is going to be? He is 22 years old, and in the absence of the Australian representatives, he is the captain of New South Wales. I personally could see him breaking through in the next 5 years and becoming one of the world's best all rounders.
Thoughts?

Re: Moises Henriques

The potential is there but having it is a million miles away from fufilling it. Plenty of time though and he would be an asset in all forms of the game if he develops.

Paging Eddie in 5, 4, 3, 2...

A lot of people will tell you he's overhyped because he wears a baggy blue, but the facts of the matter are that he's one of the youngest guys making headway on the domestic scene, and he's an allrounder to boot.

Definitely quite a way from being international standard, but has all the right attributes if he continues to develop. Seems to have stalled a bit in the last couple of seasons, needs to kick it up a notch.

I have the feeling that he will become a great domestic player but never get that position in the international side.

He's a very good player and I hope to see him there, I like him, but that's my feeling at the moment.

Steady on. If this guy was from Perth or Hobart, we wouldn't even know what he looks like. Talented though he might be, he wouldn't be the first to be labelled with having fantastic "potential". (I don't think NSW have had a player represent them in the past 2 seasons who hasn't fallen into this category:rolleyes:)

We waste our time on expectation quite often. Sometimes it's more sobering to have a look at how good they are, rather than what they might be. After all, he's 22 not 17. Right now, he looks to be an excellent T20 player. His record at other levels suggests little in the way of anything outstanding.

If in 5 years time he is a leading all-rounder in the world, then good for him and us. But it would mean Shane Watson must have fallen in a heap, Steve Smith came up short, and Mitch Marsh should have chosen footy!

I can understand if you don't rate him, but to say this:

Sober Symonds;383871 said:
Steady on.
then this:

Sober Symonds;383871 said:
If in 5 years time he is a leading all-rounder in the world, then good for him and us. But it would mean Shane Watson must have fallen in a heap, Steve Smith came up short, and Mitch Marsh should have chosen footy!
is a little incongruous.

AFAIK Mitch Marsh has bowled the grand total of four overs at state level, all of them during the other night's T20. If rating Henriques as our next allrounder is jumping the gun, what's that?

I'll have to retract Marsh's name from the argument then. Shows how much I've seen him. I was under the impression he could bowl. Mind you, those bowling figures were quite impressive!:D

Caesar;383901 said:
I can understand if you don't rate him, but to say this: ... then this: ... is a little incongruous.

AFAIK Mitch Marsh has bowled the grand total of four overs at state level, all of them during the other night's T20. If rating Henriques as our next allrounder is jumping the gun, what's that?

Come on you blokes, what are you trying to do to me? I watched a bit of Inside Cricket on Monday night and they were discussing Mitch Marsh as "an allrounder"!

I knew I'd learnt it from somewhere, now it's been confirmed... He's just been laid low through injury. Am I exonerated?

He might call himself an allrounder at junior/grade level (I have no idea) but the other night was the first time he'd ever bowled professionally.

Considering Luke Pomersbach is currently the leading wickettaker in the Perth grade comp, I tend to like to see players perform consistently at a state level before hailing them as the 'next great' anything.

I have no problem with that edict whatsoever. That is why I say just wait a while on the likes of Henriques, Smith, etc. We get too excited early, when there's still so much time for them to fall into the "whatever happened to" basket. Every young bloke at state level has huge potential.

But, on Marsh, he was referred to as an all-rounder when I first heard of him. He's been injured apparently. Then he bowled, got 4-for stuff-all and we are reminded he can bowl.

Mark Waugh, who I rate highly, said he would be in the Australian team in one version or another, within a year. That's a big statement, and Marsh isn't even from NSW!!!

I don't know enough about him to say that, but it doesn't leave much room for all the other next big thing all-rounders being hailed at the moment.

Caesar;384270 said:
He might call himself an allrounder at junior/grade level (I have no idea) but the other night was the first time he'd ever bowled professionally.

Considering Luke Pomersbach is currently the leading wickettaker in the Perth grade comp, I tend to like to see players perform consistently at a state level before hailing them as the 'next great' anything.

Paul Davis and James Boyland lead the wicket tally actually with 29, Pomersbach is equal 4th with 26 wickets.

ants14;382900 said:
How good to people thing this bloke is going to be? He is 22 years old, and in the absence of the Australian representatives, he is the captain of New South Wales. I personally could see him breaking through in the next 5 years and becoming one of the world's best all rounders.
Thoughts?

Ants, apart from the fact that you started this thread and left the rest of us to meander along without getting back to us, I want to remind you of something.

I watched a replay of the T/20 match between NSW and Trinidad & Tobago played last year during the IPL Champions League. I hadn't seen it before, only read about it. Is it realistically possible for anyone to be flogged as much as young Moises was? Perhaps a little more time is required.

I saw that last night as well and it was ugly.

When we are talking about allrounders there should really only be talk of potential until they are about 24. All cricketers take time to understand their game and an allrounder has twice the work load/game to understand and develop.

Do we expect Marsh and Henriques to take 5 wicket, open the batting and score centuries? It is hard enough for a young bowler or a young batsman to dominate (and in Australia they rarely do). From my limited observation Henriques seems to lack pace (please correct me if I am wrong), it is pace that Marsh seems to have more of. I prefer a bowling all rounder and, well, pace will help the progression into international standard fast-medium bowler (there are very few McGraths). Marsh seems more the more exciting prospect for me (not to mention that he has shown more with the bat).

By the way, how did Pomersbach manage to keep himself out of jail?

Mitch Marsh will be a ****** legend!!
At 18 can already bowl at 140km+, and took 4/6 gainst NSW - which shows how good he's batting must be if he's still seen as a batting all-rounder!!
Has made multiple 200's playing for Fremantle and made that amazing 60 of 29 balls for W.A.
So IMO he may well be the man who stops Henriques from reaching his full potential, because as I see it, Marsh is arguably already a better Bowler and Batsmen. Thank-god he picked Cricket!!

Never knew pombers could bowl??:confused:

Henriques, at the rate he's going, looks like becoming a very, very good State player, without ever breaking into the international side on a regular basis. However, the potential is definitely there; you see flashes when he just reminds you what all the hype was about. He generally bowls around the 127-135 mark, but can bump it up to 140+, and I'm not talking about effort balls. His batting is similarly inconsistent, he tends to get out playing poor shots. You could watch him score 30 runs and think "this bloke looks like he's up for a big score", and then out of nowhere he gets out playing a shot he doesn't need to.

The bloke has all the tools, but sometimes it just seems like his head isn't in the game properly. He sorts that out, he could be anything.

On Mitch Marsh, kid looks like an absolute gun. Let him get the rest of the domestic season under his belt before he's considered for international duty, but he's definitely one to get excited about.

Back