Musceles and Batting

jimmy33

Musceles and Batting

Hi all :)
I was just wondering if there are any good exercises to strengthen the musceles used in batting as i just found out that bicep curls dont actually help :embarrassed: :cry. that is apart from the core muscele ones. any tips would be greatly appreciated.

and as an aside does anyone know if hand grippers assist batting (forearm strength or whatnot) :confused:

Re: Musceles and Batting

I'd just like to add to that whether hand grippers are good for any part of cricket as I own a pair myself.

Bicep curls do help, it is merely suggested that cricket specific exercises are more helpful. Notice the translation of bicep curls to picking up a bat, it is a good translation.

I cannot suggest many exercises, but I can suggest playing a few shots in front of your mirror with exaggerated movements - which muscles do you see/feel working - these are obviously the ones you need to work on for that particular shot.

PS: It is muscles and not musceles ;)

I'm back to my mantra: train movements not muscles.

You would not train individual fingers to improve catching so why focus on individual muscles to improve batting?

The general advice is simple and can be found here:

http://www.harrowdrive.com/10-principles-of-cricket-power/

As to bicep curls, I wouldn't recommend them for most cricketers. You do need strong biceps but you need to balance that with strength in every part of your body. Chin ups for example are far better than bicep curls for most trainees.

Grip strength is more interesting. There is a correlation between grip strength and overall strength but training your grip alone will not improve other muscles.

If you plan on some heavy weight lifting a strong grip helps but for cricket based power it's not that important past the basic ability to hold a bat.

so will the hand grippers work, but will this 'powerball' device do a more effective/quicker job. i noticed after i started using the grippers that my wrists and forearms began to bulk up after no time

jimmy33 said:
so will the hand grippers work, but will this 'powerball' device do a more effective/quicker job. i noticed after i started using the grippers that my wrists and forearms began to bulk up after no time

As usual, it's complicated :D

You really do not want to 'bulk up' your wrists; it is counterproductive for cricket.

You do need strength but with flexibility so if you are keen on the grippers, best to purchase an adjustable pair and release the resistance a little.

The powerball will provide more functional strength as it is gained with movement (not too keen on isometric contractions at your age without expert advice and observation). The powerball is a lot more fun too :)

Having said all this, my preference for batting strength, at your age, at home, would be the weighted bat.

Liz Ward said:
You really do not want to 'bulk up' your wrists; it is counterproductive for cricket.
The bulking up was only relative to how i was before (really skinny :p)
Liz Ward said:
Having said all this, my preference for batting strength, at your age, at home, would be the weighted bat.
and what just is a weighted bat? :confused: will look into those powerball devices, any ideas where i could find one?

The gripper and powerball are a bit of a red herring. Yes they can help but only as part of a whole body training plan.

Ask yourself if top players use a powerball or they hit the gym. Gym wins every time.

I totally agree with David here but I, personally, would not like to see James in the Gym for another two years (minimum) and I do not know many who would take anybody at this age.

The option then is buying your own weights and practicing without professional help. I could write a thesis on why this is not a good idea. I have seen so many guys who have presented with restricted growth and/or deformity of growth cells through such practices.

Best to stick with David's body weight programme and have fun with everything else.

As for weighted bat, check out the 'Improving Grip' thread.

alright cheers. i have started using that body weight programme, and man those prisoner squats kill!! :D

Liz Ward said:
I totally agree with David here but I, personally, would not like to see James in the Gym for another two years (minimum) and I do not know many who would take anybody at this age.

That's a fair point. Bodyweight for under 18 is highly sensible.

Although I must admit I have no issue with the principle of kids as young as 11 or 12 in a gym environment with free weights there are a number of issues that would make it very difficult to implement.

That's the main issue yes. A lot of gyms are afraid from a safety viewpoint. Bodyweight is perfectly good anyway.

W'hey at last I've got a coach (Albeit shared with 20 other blokes)! Anyway so Thursday night now 30-45mins of warming up and drills, but one of the drills that keeps coming up is the front foot drive drill where you hold the bat in the 'ready' position using only your leading hand/arm and then swing the bat through one handed to drive the ball back to the bloke throwing it. Thing is after doing this maybe 6-8 times I can barley hold the bat in the 'Ready position' at 90 degrees to the body because both my forearm and wrist muscles are simply not strong enough.

1. Are there any exercises that I can do to assist with this?
2. Or do I focus on the 'Specific' aspect and simply use my bat and do the drills all the time and slowly build up the muscles and in doing so learn that drive movement?

Use the principle of specific adaptation: The more you to the better you will get.

Also chin ups are great for grip work. I know you don't go the the gym, but deadlifting is another effective method that may work for some.

Back