muscle training in batting

Re: muscle training in batting

"Movements not muscles" as Harrowdrive used to say. Basically practice moving in the way you would in playing a shot and the more you do it, the stonger those muscle groups will become.

Personally - I would be looking to work in the reverse order that would seem obvious to most people...

Start from the floor up. Use Squats (if you don't have weights - grab a broomstick and attempt over head squats), Walking Lunges (as well as weighted Side Lunges), Step Ups and Deadlifts to strengthen your posterior chain. Of course, don't do all these in the same work out - and if you're deadlifting and squatting in the same session: Only do one heavy set of deadlifts, you don't need anymore!

Squatting and deadlifting will greatly improve your lower back and core strength, but including things like - Prone bridges, side bridges, back extentions - would be great. Also, as much as you may find it odd in regards to batting, strengthen your glutes - reverse hypers, plus a range of other glute activation things, should almost be your best friend.

The reason I'm stressing the muscles below your mid back is because they are responsible for your balance, the effiency with which you shift your weight from foot to foot, your quickness, and are far more effective in generating power than your 'guns'.

For upper body work - You want to do things like; Overhead presses, Bent Over Rows (or if you have access to a good strength coach - Power Cleans), Pull Ups (or Chin Ups - and just a note: NOT MACHINE ASSISTED. if you can't do a pull up, do negative reps or find a good spotter), Barbell Bench Presses (or Push Ups), Dips.

I, personally, don't think you need to do a huge amount of core excercises like a lot of people advocate- and don't worry, even if you ditch it, you'll still get a good six pack. With free weights, every excercise i've listed, will require your core to work. If you don't have access to a gym or only use free weights though, then that's another story...

Hi folks, and some good answers here,
but I was thinking that the most important muscles to train for a batsman are in fact some of the smallest muscles in the body.

Can you think what they are?

They are muscles that we do not realise we are using until we realise that we are not using them. Their misuse lies behind a lot dismissals, especially the yorker.

Can you guess what I am thinking of? If you can, then have you tried to train them yourself ?

yes folks
I believe that eyemuscles are the most important because although I made some progress with many years of being coached for feet and body positions for various shots, there were still some days when things would go well and other days when they wouldn't. The difference between the two days was whether I saw the ball or not in its entire path down towarsds me.

Thus it seemed to me that I had totrain myself to follow the ball down with my eyes, to look for it and to be able to still follow it when my head was moving, which it eventually does during some part of the shot as the ball comes nearer.

I've come to the conclusion that if you can watch the ball, as if your eyes were glued onto it,then the other positons of the body made better sense. It wasn't until I could find some way of training my eyes to look and focus right from the beginning that I made better progress. So now, just before going in to bat I do a lot of exercises warming up my eyes and getting them to follow the path of an imaginary ball as it comes to me, and teaching my eyes to get ready to follow the path of the ball rather than just leaving them to focus at what is happening at the other end of the pitch.

I'm struck by a lot of films of the great players who, when the bowler is coming into bowl will watch the bowler, then look at a spot on a length and then look back to the point near the bowler's shoulder where the ball realeased.

Any practice I do now always concentrates on watching the ball.

I wonder if anyone else has a way of practising watching the ball that they can do by themselves?

I guess batting with a stump by throwing a tennis ball against a wall sort of counts. I've not done it a lot but I'll do it more in the off season I think.

Hi
I have trouble following the ball all the way down if it is from a tall bowler. I seem to lose the ball just in front of me, possibly because I move my head?
I am trying to train my eyes to follow the ball over this longer distance.
Has anyone any tips?

i've been strongly reccommended to work those rotator cuffs, i damaged my rotar cuff while batting and its still effecting my cricket.

That's an interesting point notrunout, watching the ball is something that is vital to batting, but we don't really do anything to explicitly train it. It's just something we're all told to do, and then over time we learn to do it properly with experience. There was a post elsewhere on the site about why England are bad at Cricket (not in the Pietersen era though eh ;) ) which includes this. And there's a great video on the science of cricket: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMNBlrX9Zfo"]Science of cricket[/ame] that has a part in which they study the difference between an experienced batsman and an amateur in terms of where they look while batting.

notrunout;29581 said:
Hi
I have trouble following the ball all the way down if it is from a tall bowler. I seem to lose the ball just in front of me, possibly because I move my head?
I am trying to train my eyes to follow the ball over this longer distance.
Has anyone any tips?

Learn to follow objects coming at you is supposed to be against human nature, so it will be hard work.

I can onl suggest that you practice, watching the ball etc. Some computer games can also assist this. Maybe see an eye doctor for further ideas?

Hi
thanks

There is quite a lot of information written about this in the scientific journals. Try
http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v3/n12/full/nn1200_1340.html

for instance.

In perceptuomotor language how good a batsman you are depends on a) how closely you can track the ball and b)how well organised your response is to the incoming ball.

It is an interesting point that standing and waiting for a missile to come towards you is unnnatural, and I think even when we have got rid of a fear of the ball then just standing there waiting and watching for it can still give you a weird feeling at times.

just a pointer; while you can train your eyes to an extent - it is a relatively genetic thing. don't get carried away with trying to do hours and hours of eye training excercise, it won't be super beneficial.

what you can do is face a whole lot of bowling. while we don't have a great capacity to improve our eyesight, our brains have great recognition capacities - the more bowling you face, the more efficiently your brain is able to pick up on cues that suggest where the ball will be travelling - and the quicker your body will react. muscles are great like that.

while it is interesting to note the differences between the way that amatuers, semi -pro, and international crickers watch the ball, it is really only that, interesting- for the majority of us, if we attempt to emulate the way that international crickers process cues, we'll most likely a) miss the ball by a long way, b) edge the ball, c) get hit by the ball because we're not watching it right.

MV!;29897 said:
while it is interesting to note the differences between the way that amatuers, semi -pro, and international crickers watch the ball, it is really only that, interesting

Essentially, the fact that pros do watch the ball differently backs up your point. The biggest difference between an amateur and a pro will be the amount of bowling that they have faced - and so have developed the necessary skills to track the ball efficiently. So while most of us will never fully emulate this, the more balls we face the closer we will get. Best thing to do to try and improve your ball-tracking skills? - go and face as many balls as possible.

Back to the muscles as in human body, probably forearms for amateurs like most of us is the most important as most people struggle with the weight of their bat, hence bat control will not be great. Ponting, Tendulkar & Lara have huge forearms and great bat control. Having said that, all muscles are important!

Few things about Batting:
  • Batting or tracking a ball to hit a shot is firstly on the Batter's confidence.So be confident in ur approach.
  • If a batsmen is having a lot on his head then it will be diffcult to concentrate on batting.So focus and "Watch the Ball".
  • In between deliveries switch off ur concentration and then switch on while the bowler is about to release the ball.It will be diffcult first but then u will be relaxed and at ease.
  • Net Practice is very important to develop ur skills and over come the short comings in batting.So take ur net practice very seriously.
  • Fitness routine is also to be followed dedicately.
  • Ball-on-string is one of the good practices for batting.
  • Watching matches on TV and observing the batsmen playing is also a +ve aspect.
  • If possible;shoot ur own batting-in-nets video for self-assessment.
  • When batting in the match;bat as per the Team's requirement or demands.
  • Lastly but most important enjoy the game:).
I hope to cover the key aspects in confidence issues related to batting and would be helpful to all.

Virendersingh.berthwal;266170 said:
Few things about Batting:
  • In between deliveries switch off ur concentration and then switch on while the bowler is about to release the ball.It will be diffcult first but then u will be relaxed and at ease.
I hope to cover the key aspects in confidence issues related to batting and would be helpful to all.

Cheers for those tips, the one about switching off is something I have noticed, the times I have batted well have actually been when there has been 1 small thing that I have to tend to often after facing so taking my concentration from batting onto it, its been things like my thigh guard falling off or my hearing aid blocking up, the wind or something but it has helped alot

Other times I found myself staying focused and thinking of what I did wrong/right last ball, thinking of the next ball and thats when I struggle

Back