New Zealand In Australia - 2015

I don't think it was just the pink ball that helped the bowlers. I thought it was an excellent pitch as well. The grass allowed the ball to seam off the pitch and a little turn and bounce for the spinners.

If more pitches were like that, then there might be lower scores with the red ball also.
I am with you, the ball didn't hurt but that was a proper test pitch. It was the batsmen getting out thinking they could just smash it at will that was the problem.
See Warne is calling for the first test with WI to be a D/N. not like me but i agree with him for a change

I am with you, the ball didn't hurt but that was a proper test pitch. It was the batsmen getting out thinking they could just smash it at will that was the problem.
See Warne is calling for the first test with WI to be a D/N. not like me but i agree with him for a change
Whatever happens they will be boring games against the West Indies. Wouldn't bother me if they played one at night but with the quality of their batsmen it would seriously be lucky to go past 2 days.

Geez, Nathan Lyon averages 14 at test level. I wouldn't say that is rabbit status.

If Lyon is a rabbit I'd hate to see how people would describe Glenn McGrath, Curtly Ambrose, Danny Morrison and the ultimate walking wicket Chris Martin batting as. :D

All the names you mentioned are / were rabbits too!

Well that's his point, those guys were way worse than Lyon and genuinely bad.

What I found funny about McGrath was unlike most genuine number 11s that are almost happy just to get off to get ready to bowl, McGrath used to actually looked pretty pissed off like a genuine batsman :D

If we want to get technical, sure the likes of McGrath, Morrison, Martin are at the extreme end of rabbit-ness.

Lyon of course is not as bad as that lot, but still a rabbit for mine - nearly 90 FC matches, < 1000 FC runs, no 50's.........

Geez, Nathan Lyon averages 14 at test level. I wouldn't say that is rabbit status.

If Lyon is a rabbit I'd hate to see how people would describe Glenn McGrath, Curtly Ambrose, Danny Morrison and the ultimate walking wicket Chris Martin batting as. :D
Wash your mouth out! Sir Curtly Ambrose averaged 12 with the bat and scored a test 50.

Courtney Walsh is the one you're after, average of 7.5 and some of the ugliest runs you'll ever see.

McGrath got a Test 50, I wonder against who ;)

Main moment I remember from Ambrose batting was when he tried to casually slide his bat back in to the crease at the non strikers, but he got run out because it got caught short getting stuck in a massive crack in the WACA pitch :D

Wash your mouth out! Sir Curtly Ambrose averaged 12 with the bat and scored a test 50.

Courtney Walsh is the one you're after, average of 7.5 and some of the ugliest runs you'll ever see.

Yes sorry, meant Walsh. Ambrose had some ability with the bat and could hit a ball a long way when needed.

Walsh was in a league of his own with McGrath as to how bad they were. And then there is of course Martin who well and truly stands alone in the number 11 stakes.

That was my point. However the guys I mentioned were a lot worse than what Lyon is. He is a tailender yes but he's not that bad. Let's also not forget Lyon has a higher batting average than Peter Siddle.

There's an interesting point!

I am surprised that Lyon has a better test batting average than Siddle!

Siddle is a better bat than Lyon - no doubt about it - give me Siddle over Lyon any day of the week. Siddle has 5 x FC 50's and 1 x FC 100.

I wouldn't be putting Siddle anywhere near the all rounder category (especially now I realise Nathan Lyon has a better test batting average than him), but for mine he can hold a bat & isn't classified with the rabbits!

Siddle's batting was pretty decent but has steadily declined unfortunately. After getting 2 back to back 50s, he got past a score of 25 in his last 25 Test innings

Siddle's batting was pretty decent but has steadily declined unfortunately. After getting 2 back to back 50s, he got past a score of 25 in his last 25 Test innings

That's a good shout - I am living in the past I think re Siddle's batting!

Always good when the number 8 and / or 9 can hold a bat - blokes like Reiffel and Warne in recent memory always seemed capable enough for me. Johnson definitely fit in that category, who could forget that ton he made vs SA! Starc also very capable. Hazlewood I'm not quite sure, despite a test batting average of 25!!!

There's an interesting point!

I am surprised that Lyon has a better test batting average than Siddle!

Siddle is a better bat than Lyon - no doubt about it - give me Siddle over Lyon any day of the week. Siddle has 5 x FC 50's and 1 x FC 100.

I wouldn't be putting Siddle anywhere near the all rounder category (especially now I realise Nathan Lyon has a better test batting average than him), but for mine he can hold a bat & isn't classified with the rabbits!

Siddle was a reasonable lower order bat, now probably not so much. Lyon and Hazlewood have had the benefit of sharing the number 11 spot at times which has seen them get a fair few not outs so that would help explain the higher averages. Lyon has been not out 28 times from 60 innings and Hazlewood 8 from 14. That being said you do have to earn your not outs at the elite level.

That botched review was so bad. That as a result of it. There should be a provision allowing the match referee or other authority to ask the batsman to retire sometime after resuming the innings. If they managed to score a few runs since, they'll count. But that was too much BS from llong

That's a good shout - I am living in the past I think re Siddle's batting!

Always good when the number 8 and / or 9 can hold a bat - blokes like Reiffel and Warne in recent memory always seemed capable enough for me. Johnson definitely fit in that category, who could forget that ton he made vs SA! Starc also very capable. Hazlewood I'm not quite sure, despite a test batting average of 25!!!
For me Hazlewood should be a 10/11, Lyon should be down there but is a reasonable bat. Sids circa 2011 on occasion was regularly being around the 4th or 5th highest scorer in an innings seemingly semi-regularly. Declined since those days though.

Back