New Zealand in Australia

el-capitano

New Zealand in Australia

NEW Zealand have decided on a pace-dominated bowling attack for their squad to take on Australia in the first cricket Test in Brisbane from November 21.

Team selectors on Thursday left out Jeetan Patel, with captain Daniel Vettori the only spinner in the 15-man squad to take on the world's top team.

Reserve wicketkeeper Gareth Hopkins will only be on call in Brisbane for one day before the start of the Test to cover for Brendon McCullum, who was named New Zealand player of the year on Wednesday.

Missing from the squad is star allrounder Jacob Oram, who has been ruled out of the series with a back strain.

A new squad will be named for the second Test starting on November 28 in Adelaide, a wicket that traditionally offers less help to pace bowlers than Brisbane.

Squad:

Daniel Vettori (captain), Aaron Redmond, Jamie How, Jesse Ryder, Ross Taylor, Peter Fulton, Daniel Flynn, Brendon McCullum, Grant Elliott, Gareth Hopkins, Tim Southee, Iain O'Brien, Kyle Mills, Mark Gillespie, Chris Martin.

Kiwis choose pace for first Test | The Daily Telegraph

Re: New Zealand in Australia

I'd back Australia to win this series but may not be as easy as they think. Australia will be coming off a hard tour to India, although I'm sure they'll be glad to see home soil.

NZ have a few good players but they lack the depth to be a decent test team, at least at the moment. Grant Elliott is not international class, so I'm suprised that they've kept him in the squad, though I guess it comes down to the lack of depth issue again.

mas cambios;278726 said:
I'd back Australia to win this series but may not be as easy as they think. Australia will be coming off a hard tour to India, although I'm sure they'll be glad to see home soil.

NZ have a few good players but they lack the depth to be a decent test team, at least at the moment. Grant Elliott is not international class, so I'm suprised that they've kept him in the squad, though I guess it comes down to the lack of depth issue again.

Jacob Oram's still injured and with Craig McMillan's retirement and Scott Styris falling out of favour due to poor form they really have no other choice.

Even with Australia's attack struggling at the moment, they should be able to outdo New Zealand's batting line-up. NZ were pretty bad against the Bangladesh attack. If NZ bat like they did against the Tigers they may find themselves spending a lot of time in the field.

Willbe closer and tougher than most think I feel.

Whilst confident we will account for the Kiwis, I still think it will hard fought victories.

Hayden to bounce back into form.

I cant see us raising much of a sweat in the Test series.

I can't believe the selectors constantly look past David Hussey though. I would be tempted to play Hussey over White and bring Clark back in for Krejza and play Hussey, Katich and Clarke as our spinners. Or simply drop Watson, which I would be jumping for joy if the selectors did :)

I would love to see us go into the Brisbane test with a line-up like this;
Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Hussey
Haddin
Krejza
Lee
Johnson/Siddle/Bollinger
Clark

Bollinger really deserves a spot after last years performances in Domestic cricket but I cant see the selectors dropping Johnson. Bollinger can swing it both ways. I cant see my line-up coming true though.

Lee has had a shocking series in India (just took Sehwag as I typed this out) and I am hoping that his personal strain of life hasn't prematuly ended his international cricket. We will see how he bounces back in Australia when he is back in a comfortable situation.

I am hoping to see Bollinger sooner rather then later, did tremendous last year.

Dont know why we didn't give NOffke a go as a genuine allrounder (age maybe?) but he is 10 times the bolwer that Watson is and would score more runs then him at the moment.

D.K;279705 said:
Lee has had a shocking series in India (just took Sehwag as I typed this out) and I am hoping that his personal strain of life hasn't prematuly ended his international cricket. We will see how he bounces back in Australia when he is back in a comfortable situation.

I am hoping to see Bollinger sooner rather then later, did tremendous last year.

Dont know why we didn't give NOffke a go as a genuine allrounder (age maybe?) but he is 10 times the bolwer that Watson is and would score more runs then him at the moment.

True with Noffke. I think he was the second top or the top wicket taker and scored 770 runs at like 46 last season compared to Watsons 6 wickets or something and 300 odd runs at 30 or something.

Noffke would be a valuable addition.

As would David Hussey.

Dont think the selectors willlook at either of em bar injuries to the current squad.

I dont know why, thats just the feeling I get.

I know what your saying. The fact they haven't looked to David Hussey, even in ODI is really all we need to know. But if David Hussey plays I cant see Noffke playing as I would bring in Hussey for Watson and Bollinger or Siddle for White, maybe Bollinger for Johnson.

David Hussey needs to make an appearance in the ODI series at least this summer. He's such a classy player.

What are everyone's thoughts about putting Mike Hussey down to number six (if we bring David Hussey in)?

Hussey is great batting with the tail and I don't think David Hussey would be best suited to play at six. IMO we should try and experiments in this series before the SA series and the Ashes. I would like to see Bollinger given a go as well.

Pretty surprising that Siddle leap-frogged him in the pecking order for the 2nd Test in India frankly as Bollinger had a better domestic summer and he can swing it - Zaheer and Sharma were very dangerous in that game IIRC whilst Siddle is more your hit-the-pitch hard type bowler which isn't suited to the sub-continent.

What are people's thoughts about Bracken in regards to Tests?

Yeah but he's never really been given a go in the Test Arena. He shouldn't bowl his 110km/h cutters (only get wickets in ODIs) but he's another who can swing the ball on a consistent basis. Surely worth a try?

Bracken is a decent first class bowler but I would play Bollinger over him in Tests any day. I would also play Siddle over Bracken in Australia. Bracken would have been useful in India imo.

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
D. Hussey
M. Hussey
Haddin
Noffke
Lee
Siddle
Clark

This is the side i'd pick for the first test. Watson very unlucky to miss out but i think Noffke definitely deserves a go. No need for a spinner at the GABBA so Siddle comes in. If spin is needed Hussey, Clarke and Katich can bowl spin. Clark replaces Johnson who didn't do enough for me. Lee very lucky to survive but i think he can recapture his form.

As much as Noffke is a nice guy- no way he's getting picked! :D

Johnson has pics of Tim Neilson naked, so he's getting picked, plus the left arm variation will always get a go. However, if they were to drop Johnson, I'd rather see Bollinger get a nod- he swings the ball and a leftie! ;)

I think we should go with a young team against New Zealand, blood heaps of young players, My lineup:

Jaques(if fit)/Katich
Paine+
Ponting*
Clarke
D.Hussey
M.Hussey
Watson/Symonds if fit (Symonds replaces Noffke, and Watson drops down to 8th)
Noffke/S.Marsh/Krejza
Lee
Bollinger/Johnson
Clark

Haddin to be rested, and if Paine is not played as wicket keeper, Watson, Marsh (Depending whos selected) or M.Hussey can open. Haddin needs to rest his niggles:) With Ronchi coming in to bat at 7 or 8 as Keeper.

I think it would be hard to drop Johnson after his last series, so Bollinger probably wouldn't get the nod.

Krejza can substitute as a spinner, or we can bowl a pace attack with Katich, Symonds and Clarke bowling spin. Which all depends on Jaques being fit aswell, personally at the moment I like Katich over Jaques.

Hayden to play one match against New Zealand to see if he can recover some form for the South Africans.

Cheers.

Tour Schedule

November

Thursday 13th - Sunday 16th: New South Wales v New Zealanders at Sydney Cricket Ground (11am local, 12am GMT)

Thursday 20th - Monday 24th : 1st Test - Australia v New Zealand at Woolloongabba, Brisbane (10am local, 12am GMT)

Friday 28th November - Tuesday 2nd December: 2nd Test - Australia v New Zealand at Adelaide Oval (10:30am local, 12am GMT)

January 2009

Thursday 29th: Prime Minister's XI v New Zealanders at Manuka Oval, Canberra (times TBA)

February 2009

Sunday 1st (D/N): 1st ODI - Australia v New Zealand at Western Australia Cricket Association Ground, Perth (1:30pm local, 4:30am GMT)

Friday 6th (D/N): 2nd ODI - Australia v New Zealand at Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne (2:15pm local, 3:15am GMT).

Sunday 8th (D/N): 3rd ODI - Australia v New Zealand at Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney (2:15pm local, 3:15am GMT)

Tuesday 10th (D/N): 4th ODI - Australia v New Zealand at Adelaide Oval, Adelaide (1:45pm local, 3:15am GMT)

Friday 13th (D/N): 5th ODI - Australia v New Zealand at Woolloongabba, Brisbane (1:15pm local, 3:15am GMT)

Sunday 15th (D/N): Only Twenty20 International - Australia v New Zealand at Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney (7:35pm local, 08:35 GMT)

Aussie squad

Ponting, Clarke, Hayden, Katich, Hussey, Watson, Symonds, Haddin, Lee, Johnson, Clark, Siddle, Krezja

A few possible selections in that list

Could see Symonds replace Watson and Siddle into the XI ahead of Krezja? Are Lee and Clark guaranteed starters? Apparently Clarke is subject to fitness, so could even see Symonds and Watson in the same side, shows how bad the Kiwis are :D

Back