North A & B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: North A & B

This weeks’ Granny.

Congrats to AH & KP.

Especially AH. Having lost a few handy cricketers’ over the last 2 seasons, many understandably tipped them to struggle and even be relegated-considering all that great effort! Over last 3 games they r probably the form side in the comp NTH A. Pretty commanding wins.

Having said that KP may be considered the Favs, due to more experienced players @ this level. Their batters have clearly made more runs this season than AH but Avondale bowling could have a say about that. Read on this thread that they’ve(AH) used only 4/5 bowlers this year. That’s a good and a bad thing. KP had a home ground advantage last week, so the pitch probably helped them account for Gr$$nval$ who on their batting performances against Tulla n KP in last 2 rnds would have been a massive task in a 4day game. All credit to KP for bouncing back in the semi, despite the pitch n all. Blanchett 6/for was much needed.
For Avondale good to see them win a big game without major contributions from their skipper & import. That should hold them in good stead. Both teams batters like to play shots and because of this are always prone to collapses so will be a good contest. I’ll stick with Avondale because I have considered them a wildcard after every one was writing them off but KP are the favs Avondale underdogs but talented enough to surprise KP in a big way. So my tip Avondale in an upset of sorts to achieve what I hasten to suggest even they themselves wouldn’t have pondered b4 the start of the season.

ROY G BIV;336374 said:
This weeks’ Granny.

Congrats to AH & KP.

Especially AH. Having lost a few handy cricketers’ over the last 2 seasons, many understandably tipped them to struggle and even be relegated-considering all that great effort! Over last 3 games they r probably the form side in the comp NTH A. Pretty commanding wins.

Having said that KP may be considered the Favs, due to more experienced players @ this level. Their batters have clearly made more runs this season than AH but Avondale bowling could have a say about that. Read on this thread that they’ve(AH) used only 4/5 bowlers this year. That’s a good and a bad thing. KP had a home ground advantage last week, so the pitch probably helped them account for Gr$$nval$ who on their batting performances against Tulla n KP in last 2 rnds would have been a massive task in a 4day game. All credit to KP for bouncing back in the semi, despite the pitch n all. Blanchett 6/for was much needed.
For Avondale good to see them win a big game without major contributions from their skipper & import. That should hold them in good stead. Both teams batters like to play shots and because of this are always prone to collapses so will be a good contest. I’ll stick with Avondale because I have considered them a wildcard after every one was writing them off but KP are the favs Avondale underdogs but talented enough to surprise KP in a big way. So my tip Avondale in an upset of sorts to achieve what I hasten to suggest even they themselves wouldn’t have pondered b4 the start of the season.

Yarraville to win agian
Willy Cy's to beat the Snow dogs
Keilor Park for me, Blanchett the key again with the ball.
Moonee Valley to beat an ordinary bunch of blokes @ Werribee Centrals

Good luck to all teams especially the game that got Ken Lecky, wait for the decision to keep him in the game & make it interesting....

Guru14;335000 said:
Snaggle is it 2 for 2?

Dunno Guru? It definatley states clearly in the association rules that is the case, however I suppose that may go out the door if they are looking at changing the whole Nth A & B setup.

Guru14;335211 said:
Absolutely shattered! IMO they were a good thing beaten on the weekend and I guess it's about taking stock over the winter and coming back a more consistent side in 2009/2010. I think they have let a huge opportunity slip by for the second time in 3 years no doubt. But they need to probably take a leaf out of Greenvale's season 2 years ago, they would have been at their lowest but came out again were undefeated and duly went to North A. I feel for a couple of the boys there but maybe when the pressure was on their mental fatigue played a part as it did 2 years ago. Maybe it was the toss of the coin maybe it wasn't but it will be 6 months of plotting a premiership win now. Werribee look the goods though and I don't think even Perera can keep them out. How good is the Edrich Colishaw partnership, took 9 of 10 on the weekend. They will be extremely hard to beat and it maybe done inside of tea on the 3rd day. Good luck to both in the granny and North A, first and second after the home and away so can't complain really about the result or the promotion. Snagglepuss or Dingo any news on whether H/Crossing will field their 3rd & 4th in the north B again next year or a there a couple of new sides entering the fold

Guru-i don't wanna get into Bear bashings here but do you think Aber Park have a bright future in terms of being able to take the next step up to Nth A? Reason I ask is that they don't seem to be a club to have many juniors coming through and they have survived and been extremely competitive for many years now on the back of a few gun players - ie. Doolan, Jones, Murray now Albers, Pascu, Wickramasinghe with some good local talent. However their depth has always been the concern and has probably been found wanting again this year, more on the bowling side. I actually really like the Bear boyz and get along with them very well however I just wonder if they will ever be able to take that next step and then if so, sustain it given they seem to have a small player base to pull from?
I suppose it's the same question for many clubs but just thought you might have a feeling on the topic?
Also I agree with you on the Edrich/Collishaw partnership. Very tough and the reason why I think they will beat the Valleys. Werribees batting can be very susceptible however which is what gives MV some hope. The fact Broughton isnt there leaves them fragile at times.

Snagglepuss;336393 said:
Guru-i don't wanna get into Bear bashings here but do you think Aber Park have a bright future in terms of being able to take the next step up to Nth A? Reason I ask is that they don't seem to be a club to have many juniors coming through and they have survived and been extremely competitive for many years now on the back of a few gun players - ie. Doolan, Jones, Murray now Albers, Pascu, Wickramasinghe with some good local talent. However their depth has always been the concern and has probably been found wanting again this year, more on the bowling side. I actually really like the Bear boyz and get along with them very well however I just wonder if they will ever be able to take that next step and then if so, sustain it given they seem to have a small player base to pull from?
I suppose it's the same question for many clubs but just thought you might have a feeling on the topic?
Also I agree with you on the Edrich/Collishaw partnership. Very tough and the reason why I think they will beat the Valleys. Werribees batting can be very susceptible however which is what gives MV some hope. The fact Broughton isnt there leaves them fragile at times.

Snaggle, I believe juniors are the life blood of any club and unfortunately they don't have any. Having said that, they have been wanting to set it up for a few years now but I think they have realised it isn't as easy as it seems. Where do you start, the club is a great club with lots to offer players who are looking for a new home, very friendly and easy to fit in. Their list is aging and they are at the point of blokes having committments away from cricket. On player stocks- It's ok for North B but as it sits will probably get found out in North A. Pascu is a gun and really needs to have a crack at something better. Where do you go Snaggle the club probably needs an injection of youth and to maintain it's current level of experience. Albers has been great for them and probably has taken on the responsibility of getting them to North A, but that can be done in ways rather than expecting himself to get them over the line each game- although he did a fairly good job this year. Their depth in the ones has been the area that has let them down over the years and if they can find good depth then the solution becomes easier. Always been of the belief that you chase young guys who add depth to the club in the seconds but have the ability to play firsts after a little experience etc- Abers hasn't seen that.
I would have loved them to win, but in the end when they really needed to stand up mentally I think they fell a little short. It's not the end of the world another year in North B, it just makes them want it more. They will play better sides with Aberfeldie, Seddon and East Keilor coming back if it is 3 so the standard of cricket should be a little better. Fingers crossed maybe 2009/2010 maybe their year!

ROY G BIV;336366 said:
Like 2 've d last word hay.

A Q: r u a XX or XY. ur username would suggest a lady? Scary if that's so.

What r ur thoughts on the GF or Since ur club not init, u don't care.

Last time I checked I was a Cartoon character on the Simpson's. We noticed you still didn't answer. The top 4 you can throw a blanket over. Whoever bats first will win. Both teams good blokes so not fussed

Interesting to note North B1 didn't get a start, yet North B2 did - not 100 metres away. The grounds couldn't have been too different. Seems like the Werribee Centrals captain might have had a bit to say about that game...

Mulva;337095 said:
Interesting to note North B1 didn't get a start, yet North B2 did - not 100 metres away. The grounds couldn't have been too different. Seems like the Werribee Centrals captain might have had a bit to say about that game...

Just looking in from the outside why would you even agree to toss the coin knowing that losing the toss would put you on the back foot. Surely you would speak to the umpires and say that we have next weekend let's not decide the fate of the grand final today given the conditions. Well done by Podgey Alexander, captain of Aberfeldie Park, he was obviously at ease with his line up whether they bowled or batted. Saw a little of the game and the wicket just looked really slow and the outfield with no grass was as slow as I've seen in a long time. Everyone what's a granny to start but at what price when you lose the toss!

Guru14;337103 said:
Just looking in from the outside why would you even agree to toss the coin knowing that losing the toss would put you on the back foot. Surely you would speak to the umpires and say that we have next weekend let's not decide the fate of the grand final today given the conditions. Well done by Podgey Alexander, captain of Aberfeldie Park, he was obviously at ease with his line up whether they bowled or batted. Saw a little of the game and the wicket just looked really slow and the outfield with no grass was as slow as I've seen in a long time. Everyone what's a granny to start but at what price when you lose the toss!

It only looked slow because they wouldn't play any shots.

Only reason North B didint play was because a small part off the out field was wet.

But i have played on worse

The track was perfect and there was more grass on the outfield than there has been since Christmas. Not playing shows how weak both the teams and umpires were on the day. I guess they were just there for their $100.

It seems Werribee Centrals' seconds are going to learn the hard way that you just need to go out and play your natural game ... not try and salvage a draw from the first nut of the day.

7/564;337104 said:
It only looked slow because they wouldn't play any shots.

Only reason North A didint play was because a small part off the out field wet.
But i have played on worse

Didnt they start ???? there scores are in mycricket.
AH batted first 7/102

Nth A Granny, Day 1 Washed out.

Day 2 staeted half an hour late redued to 60+overs.

KP won the toss and sent AH in.

Avondale in strife 7/102 in bowler friendly conditions + slow very slow outfield.
Although KP only made 136 in the semi u would reckon if conditions improve next weekend, (KP)they would stroll in and beat my tip Avondale fairly comfortably.

Worst case scenario 4 AH get rolled quicly 110-120 on day3(showers predicted @ this early stage) in overcast conditions against Blanchet and Pricey, and KP to get the runs 5/6 wickets down, doesn't leave mcuh time to force an outright 4 AH. So KP holding all the cards here.

Best case senario, they some how go from 7/102 to 160 +(MASSIVE ask 4 number 8 9 10 11) Then with their bowlers it could be a cracking tense run chase, KP would still be the favs though.

We'll wait n see.

Defining moment of the Granny, T Jeffrey running himself out on 35, could've taken Ah to 200+ and won the game 4 them

ROY G BIV;337122 said:
Nth A Granny, Day 1 Washed out.

Day 2 staeted half an hour late redued to 60+overs.

KP won the toss and sent AH in.

Avondale in strife 7/102 in bowler friendly conditions + slow very slow outfield.
Although KP only made 136 in the semi u would reckon if conditions improve next weekend, (KP)they would stroll in and beat my tip Avondale fairly comfortably.

Worst case scenario 4 AH get rolled quicly 110-120 on day3(showers predicted @ this early stage) in overcast conditions against Blanchet and Pricey, and KP to get the runs 5/6 wickets down, doesn't leave mcuh time to force an outright 4 AH. So KP holding all the cards here.

Best case senario, they some how go from 7/102 to 160 +(MASSIVE ask 4 number 8 9 10 11) Then with their bowlers it could be a cracking tense run chase, KP would still be the favs though.

We'll wait n see.

Defining moment of the Granny, T Jeffrey running himself out on 35, could've taken Ah to 200+ and won the game 4 them

Pretty sure all Kp have to do is draw now that they lost a day. I know in the 2's thats all greenvale have to do. Even though there was no start in play.
Surely it would make more sense to divide the 160 overs left and have a fair game. but thats the rules.

demon;337123 said:
Pretty sure all Kp have to do is draw now that they lost a day. I know in the 2's thats all greenvale have to do. Even though there was no start in play.
Surely it would make more sense to divide the 160 overs left and have a fair game. but thats the rules.

Yeah? fair point.

This years granny, provided weather+outfield conditions are different next weekend, toss of the coin probably will end up having some say in the result.
Having said that pricey and Blanchett bowled very tight in the conditions they were given, so full credit to 'em.

KP have to draw or win on first innings.

AH have to win 1st innings or if they lose 1st innings win outright.

Must be disaapointing for everyone concerend who didn't get a start this week, looking at my cric there were more than a few granny's that didn't get underway or(may be they didn't bother putting the scores in).

Demon u playing, who's the favoured side in Nth A2 granny Tulla or Gr$$. Could u blokes have started?

ROY G BIV;337126 said:
Yeah? fair point.

This years granny, provided weather+outfield conditions are different next weekend, toss of the coin probably will end up having some say in the result.
Having said that pricey and Blanchett bowled very tight in the conditions they were given, so full credit to 'em.

Must be disaapointing for everyone concerend who didn't get a start this week, looking at my cric there were more than a few granny's that didn't get underway or(may be they didn't bother putting the scores in).

Demon u playing, who's the favoured side in Nth A2 granny Tulla or Gr$$. Could u blokes have started?

I am playing. Greenvale would go in as fav's, they won last time we played. And now that all they have to do is draw, that helps em.
Tulla have to either bat 80 overs and declare, giving them 80 overs on sunday to bowl them out. or if Grennvale win the toss and decide to try and bat for 2 days, At least that gives tulla something to chase, if and when they get them out saturday afternoon/sunday first session.

We couldnt have started, the pitch was good, the outfield was good (a little damp in some spots) the only trouble was the rest of the decks were muddy, and along the side was very wet. As a batter you would have nowhere to run, except up the middle of the wicket. and No one could field at cover/mid wicket on one side. Its a shame, becuase other than that it was good. It looked like a lake on saturday and i was surprised it looked playable on sunday.

The umpire said on saturday that if we started play sunday it would go to 120 overs each and if we didnt it would be a 2 day game the next week. then on sunday they checked the rules and said they were wrong, Fair enough if we had started. But with no start it should be a 2 day game next week. what do u reckon ????????

demon;337135 said:
I am playing. Greenvale would go in as fav's, they won last time we played. And now that all they have to do is draw, that helps em.
Tulla have to either bat 80 overs and declare, giving them 80 overs on sunday to bowl them out. or if Grennvale win the toss and decide to try and bat for 2 days, At least that gives tulla something to chase, if and when they get them out saturday afternoon/sunday first session.

We couldnt have started, the pitch was good, the outfield was good (a little damp in some spots) the only trouble was the rest of the decks were muddy, and along the side was very wet. As a batter you would have nowhere to run, except up the middle of the wicket. and No one could field at cover/mid wicket on one side. Its a shame, becuase other than that it was good. It looked like a lake on saturday and i was surprised it looked playable on sunday.

The umpire said on saturday that if we started play sunday it would go to 120 overs each and if we didnt it would be a 2 day game the next week. then on sunday they checked the rules and said they were wrong, Fair enough if we had started. But with no start it should be a 2 day game next week. what do u reckon ????????

Umpires Hmmmmm.

Have heard that b4, my understanding is that in vtca GF's are 4 dayers and there in no limitation on the overs that a team can bat. You could bat for 4 days if good enough, but despite that every year u get GF's umpires who come up with pearls of wisdom in bold above.

I reckon mate u have fair point dividing the overs and making it fair 4 both sides. But i think leave things as they are, the team finishing higher @ the end of home n away earn the right to these advantages. Although it can be disheartening for teams who get knocked out becuase of drws and inclement wetaher in semi or granny. But that's incentive to finish as high as possible in the 4.

In district lower grades a number of teams last week drew their QF becuase day 1 was washed out & as a result the higher placed teams went through to the semis. A shit way to end the season BUT the sides that finish higher i am afraid earn that advantge after Home n away.

Anyway Hope u blokes would get on this week, although showers are prodicted again for sat.

the only trouble was the rest of the decks were muddy, is that because center wicked covers didn;t cover the entire turf table, if so that's not good enough.

ROY G BIV;337162 said:
Umpires Hmmmmm.

Have heard that b4, my understanding is that in vtca GF's are 4 dayers and there in no limitation on the overs that a team can bat. You could bat for 4 days if good enough, but despite that every year u get GF's umpires who come up with pearls of wisdom in bold above.

I reckon mate u have fair point dividing the overs and making it fair 4 both sides. But i think leave things as they are, the team finishing higher @ the end of home n away earn the right to these advantages. Although it can be disheartening for teams who get knocked out becuase of drws and inclement wetaher in semi or granny. But that's incentive to finish as high as possible in the 4.

In district lower grades a number of teams last week drew their QF becuase day 1 was washed out & as a result the higher placed teams went through to the semis. A shit way to end the season BUT the sides that finish higher i am afraid earn that advantge after Home n away.

Anyway Hope u blokes would get on this week, although showers are prodicted again for sat.

the only trouble was the rest of the decks were muddy, is that because center wicked covers didn;t cover the entire turf table, if so that's not good enough.

No not at all, unfortunately the deck has a drop in the middle of the square and the water builds up there and just makes it wetter underneath. there covers were fine, and covered the whole area. its just where the water holds on top of the covers. To there credit i think they did everything they could.

ROY G BIV;337126 said:
Yeah? fair point.

Gday Roy,

Not sure if you are involved in the game at Spotty, but I am sure there are posters on here that are. Just curious as to how you thought the wicket played? Obviously going to get some varied replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back