Not improving

Markk

Not improving

i started playing when i was 15 which is pretty late i was behind everyone else, i'm now 18 and i am still behind most people my age and i don't feel like i'm improving at all.

first of all coaching, never had any an still don't get it, at first i thought it was because of the club i'm at which was poorly run, but i've sinced moved and whilst its better run i still don't get coached, what angers me most is that on all the forums i read everyone goes on about "my coach does this and that with me" and i just think to myself why ain't this happening to me, i've been with this club for a good 4 months now and i still don't know who the coach is.

i get about a dozen balls in the nets every week at the moment, got no one to go cricket with outside of training, as a result i improve little if anything at all, i feel gutted that 3 years have practically gone down the drain, i don't know what to do anymore, i feel like i am never gonna get any better and just lost on what i'm suppose to do.

i know moaning on a forum isn't probably gonna help alot but i don't know what else to do

Re: Not improving

you should know who your coach is before going to the club. tell your coach your concerns and he will be more than happy to help you or assign a senior player to help you. listen to what they say and you will progress quickerthan you think, and be patient. coaches love young guys that wanna learn. if your coach isnt interested in helping you, tell them you want a clearance to further develop your cricket elsewhere.

Markk;334436 said:
i've been with this club for a good 4 months now and i still don't know who the coach is.

crktluva;334449 said:
you should know who your coach is before going to the club.

The chances are that his club doesn't have a coach or at least someone who is able to take the role on, something which is not uncommon in the UK.

The best advice I can give is to ask someone at the club about it, whether it's a team captain or another player. If there isn't one in place at the moment, then if another people show interest the club may look to get something sorted.

Failing that and if coaching is something you really feel you need, then you may have to look for another club or to take on some personal coaching.

Another thing to do is look online for coaching tips.

There are plenty of places you can get free stuff and even one place you can get elite coaching online for a price. I'm not allowefd to advertise so I won't mention it.

The point is, there are online options.

Mark,

where in Hertfordshire are you? let me know. I'm the Secretary of Ware Cricket CLub and can more than likely point you in the right direction. Or if you are close to Ware feel free to come along to our nets, we have 5 ECB approved coaches, one of them being level 3 and a Ex Surrey and Worcestershire Player. We have just been awarded a ECB Focus Club Status and are committed to youth development and coaching!

regards

Are you a bowler or a batsmen?
If you are a bowler you can go to the nets after practice, but it is hard to find good solo drills for batters.

thanks for the responses

micoach

i think i know of the site your talking about and i'll have a closer look through it soon.

Stumped

i am located in cheshunt, which isn't that far away, the club sounds excellent and is leaving me with a bit of a dilemma, i've not been at the club i'm at very long, so i'm not sure at the moment but it is definatly something that i will consider and might turn up to one of the training sessions to see what its like if thats alright.

Unspinable

i'm better at batting but i enjoy bowling more and will probably try and get down the nets for some extra practice.

Markk, the best place to start is your Cricket Development Manager. Hertfordshire has just recruited John Harris earlier this month who is based at the Cricket Development Office in Letchworth. You can reach him on:

Office - 01462 683280
Mobile - 07824 548838
E-mail - John.Harris@ecb.co.uk

John will be able to help you contact the nearest qualified coach.

Alternatively, a fantastic coach, Pete Williams, has taken over Hertfordshire's Coach Education Process. Contact him at Contact Sports Mentoring He will be able to offer you some great coaching.

Failing all above, Bishops Stortford are, I believe, your nearest focus club. They are holding nets on a Sunday morning at the moment. Give Mark Dodshon a ring for more information on 07809 603162. See if you like it and stay for a drink afterwards. You may be able to entice one of the coaches to visit your club on a regular basis.

Mark,

you are very close to us, I used to live in broxbourne near you and go shooting in Cheshunt so know it very well.

we are a Focus Club, (weve only just got confirmation that we have achieved this status) just
found out from my club development manager that Brox, Cheshunt, Ware, St
Margs, Hertford and Hoddesdon are all focus clubs but we're obviously the
nicest!

Also that Pete Williams is indeed a fantastic coach and he runs the
coach education programme for herts and essex but rarely ventures away from
writtle or the county ground for coaching himself. We're happy to put you
in touch with some good herts coaches who can do 1:1's

We have 8 ECB qualified coaches including an ex county player as well

Feel free to come along to our Nets on a Sunday we net at John Warner Sports complex from 5-8pm cost is £5.

Drop me a PM or have a look at our website

Ware CC - Play-Cricket -

Of course Markk, if you wish to stay at your Club and there are no coaches willing to travel to you, our colleague on these pages, Ian Pont, will be more than happy to. I am sure, there are many who would appreciate his visits. Although we all know him as the Fast Bowling Guru, he also enjoys coaching batting and has an impressive international batting career himself. Alternatively, book yourself on one of his courses in Hertfordshire.

Liz Ward;335640 said:
Ian Pont... has an impressive international batting career himself.
'International batting career'... nice spin. :p He's a bowler who has played first-class cricket overseas.

A hundred thousand times better than me, but let's not gild the lily. ;)

Mark,

Be optimistic, think postive..
Try moving club's, try talking to your parent or guardian about getting 1 on 1 coaching.
You can only try your best.. Just keep trying your ass of every week, you will seek rewards

Back