Olympic venue to showcase the Australian T20 matches

hattrick

Olympic venue to showcase the Australian T20 matches

Australia will play Twenty20 internationals at the 80 000-seat former Olympic stadium from the 2011-2012 season in a shift from the Sydney Cricket Ground, which has hosted international cricket in Australia's largest city since 1882.

A deal between the New South Wales state government and Cricket New South Wales will result in one Twenty20 international played in western Sydney for four years from 2011-2012, New South Wales state premier Kristina Keneally said on Tuesday.
The move is designed to attract larger crowds than is possible at the 46 000-seat SCG.

Cricket New South Wales chief executive David Gilbert said the shift would help to showcase the newest form of the game.
"We look forward to staging exciting, world-class cricket in front of local fans, along with the visitors from around the world we expect these matches to attract," he said.

Matches at the 80 000-seat stadium, which was the main venue for the 2000 Olympics, could include Australia v India in 2011-2012, Australia v South Africa in 2012-2013, Australia v England in 2013-2014 and Australia v India in 2014-2015.

The Sydney Cricket Ground first hosted a Test match in February, 1882 when Australia beat England by five wickets.

The stadium has since been the traditional home of cricket in Sydney and has also hosted tennis, rugby union, rugby league and was also the main stadium for the 1938 Empire Games.

Tradition vs Progress - BigCricket

Re: Olympic venue to showcase the Australian T20 matches

What is the biggest cricketing ground in the world? This would have to come close would it not?

Boris;396273 said:
What is the biggest cricketing ground in the world? This would have to come close would it not?

What? The MCG holds 100k and that dump Eden Gardens in India can cram in around 120k from memory.

Boris;396273 said:

What? The MCG holds 100k and that dump Eden Gardens in India can cram in around 120k from memory.

Kram81;396276 said:

My bad, stadiums are the one thing in cricket I don't know much about.

To be honest I thought the SCG was huge, especially for cricket, but that only holds 45 000...

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Finally we are getting that shit off cricket grounds

Boris;396280 said:
My bad, stadiums are the one thing in cricket I don't know much about.

To be honest I thought the SCG was huge, especially for cricket, but that only holds 45 000...

The SCG is still the third biggest test ground in the country (behind the MCG and the Gabba) and bigger than every one in england and new zealand at least (dunno about other countries, except that Eden Gardens in Kolkata is enormous).

Cricket grounds aren't suited to stadiums anyway, places like Adelaide (before this annoyance they are doing these days) and Belrieve are the best simply because of the complete lack of evident lack around stadium, just stands and picnicable grass.

SCG keeps it's touch with the old stands still standing, but the MCG really is just a concrete jungle, no a good look for Tests.

T20 is different though, just being able to extract as much money as possible.

Agreed. MCG is good for T20I's as is Gabba because they aren't cricket grounds. SCG is which meant they needed a T20 field. Good choice.
I say the next T20 stadium needs to be about 100km south of Broome so everyone that plays and watches roasts in the heat and dies.

brickwaller99;397230 said:
Agreed. MCG is good for T20I's as is Gabba because they aren't cricket grounds. SCG is which meant they needed a T20 field. Good choice.
I say the next T20 stadium needs to be about 100km south of Broome so everyone that plays and watches roasts in the heat and dies.

The Melbourne Cricket Ground isn't a cricket ground now?

It's a giant metal circle. Not a cricket ground like the SCG, Bellerive, Adelaide or WACA. Ideal for money making. Looks horribly empty for tests

Back