P C B To Submit Corruption Strategy At Next I C C Meeting

Caesar

The die is cast. A deadline has been set, and the PCB has undertaken to submit a detailed report on combating corruption to the next ICC meeting in Hong Kong, on 26-30 June.

ijazbutt2909_630.jpg

What this report will contain is anyone's guess. Not since the Cronje scandal has one country been so engulfed by the stench of match fixing - indeed, it's arguable that this issue is more endemic and far-reaching than the South African one ever was.

Whatever the result, given the source it seems unlikely that the demands of Imran Khan, cricketing great and Pakistani opposition leader, will be met. He is convinced that the problem - not just in terms of corruption, but the overall failings of the system to produce competitive teams - lies at the top. Unfortunately it is a viewpoint that (whilst common) has gained little traction in recent years with the authorities in Pakistan.

Khan as a political figure is perhaps brave to go one step further and call for increased ICC intervention on corruption, a sensitive matter given the implications of interference with the domestic domain of the powerful PCB. But perhaps given the current climate now is the time when it has the chance of being most accepted, with Pakistan's cricketing public at the height of their discontent.

I was heartened to read this article last month from one of my favourite Pakistani cricket writers, Khurram Baig. He is quite forthright in his criticisms of the PCB and lends support to Khan's claim that what is needed is revolution and devolution - change at the top, reempowerment of grassroots and regional cricket, and a renewed focus at the national level of building a sustainable domestic competition.

The end result? A strong, stable, and successful pyramid for the fostering of talent and financial success of the sport. Capitalising on the passion of Pakistanis for cricket, rather than simply relying on it.

42941523_pakistan_getty.jpg

Perhaps the first step for all this to happen is the ICC to reject the PCB proposal next month, and take a proactive role in handling the corruption themselves. It seems clear that nobody else has the political will to hold the board accountable.

So, what are your thoughts? Should the structural problems with Pakistani cricket be viewed as linked or separate to the corruption scandals?

What would you like to see included in the report to the ICC next month? Is it appropriate that the PCB be the entity submitting the report at all, and if not, what action should the ICC be taking in light of this?

The structural issues do play a role as does the fact that the initial inquiry into corruption that was lead by Justice Qayyam's in 2000 made no impact at all. For me the single biggest problem is that the average Pakistani national player gets a very small monthly salary .. I am not mentioning guys like Afridi, Younis Khan who played for South Australia in shield games as they have ensured that when they lay abroad they get proper remuneration.

As far as I am concerned the report should not be from the PCB but rather from an independent auditor whom the ICC should have sent to Pakistan. Financial mismanagement has been an issue in Pakistan cricket administration and they will deny everything and blame "third parties not linked to Pakistan cricket". I think the idea is great but the execution is a typical ICC one (just to ensure that it looks like they are trying to solve the issue). The reality for me is that after the Bob Woolmer issue and the current corruption case, the ICC should have taken the bull by the horns. Demand that all officials resign and that an independent party rebuild this nations cricket management from scratch.

The PCB should have been cleared out years ago. The amount of junk decisions we've seen, successful appeals etc have been ridiculous and the PCB have little credibility left as an organisation. Khan is right in the fact the Pakistan cricket needs to be cleaned up and restructured but in reality will we ever see that happen? Unlikely. Just when you think Pakistan cricket is turning the corner, they do a massive backflip and take three steps backward.

Unfortunately we've seen it all before. Until something drastic is done and the decision(s) sticks for a considerable period of time we will be debating endlessly about it.

Back