Pakistan v Australia fallout

Roy00

Pakistan v Australia fallout

hi,

I'm Roy, not my real name but my cricket alias on a few forums

i'm new to this forum....I am unsure if it is very active, I guess i'll find out soon enough, but i see no thread for the recent Pakistan v Australia series

anyway, if anyone is out there and wants to discuss the debacle that was Australia's recent tour of England and particularly the Test series v Pakistan then let me know

IMO the Pak bowlers are very good, but the batting is quite average, they half a team really, but we were diabolical in the field and the first innings batting effort was just pathetic....its one thing to win the toss and bat in that situation (stupid)...but then you got to make the best of it as we could've lost the toss and been sent in anyway.

Ponting's ocd habits of shouldering arms whenever he faces his first ball is getting him into all kinds of trouble lately.
Marcus North's record at Test level over enough matches by now suggests he's not good enough. They need to give someone else a go, whether it be Hughes or Kawaja. Even Nathan Hauritz is more consistent with the bat than North.

Johnson also I think is a liability more often than not. He was useless against England, NZ and Pakistan with ball and bat and I think he'll have a tough tour of India. Time to give him a spell and make him earn his place back.
Bring in George or Harris (if fit) or Siddle.

Re: Pakistan v Australia fallout

Roy00;404177 said:
hi,

i'm new to this forum....I am unsure if it is very active, I guess i'll find out soon enough, but i see no thread for the recent Pakistan v Australia series

anyway, if anyone is out there and wants to discuss the debacle that was Australia's recent tour of England and particularly the Test series v Pakistan then let me know

IMO the Pak bowlers are very good, but the batting is quite average, they half a team really, but we were diabolical in the field and the first innings batting effort was just pathetic....its one thing to win the toss and bat in that situation (stupid)...but then you got to make the best of it as we could've lost the toss and been sent in anyway.

Ponting's ocd habits of shouldering arms whenever he faces his first ball is getting him into all kinds of trouble lately.
Marcus North's record at Test level over enough matches by now suggests he's not good enough. They need to give someone else a go, whether it be Hughes or Kawaja. Even Nathan Hauritz is more consistent with the bat than North.

Johnson also I think is a liability more often than not. He was useless against England, NZ and Pakistan with ball and bat and I think he'll have a tough tour of India. Time to give him a spell and make him earn his place back.

Johnson was ok against NZ. NZ series have bolstered his career average no end. I agree about him being a problem though. His really good sessions are so rare. And his batting has subsided to a normal no 9/10 level. I would think that if he has a poor first test of the Ashes, he will be on very thin ice and considering his temperament, it's not that unlikely.

But the bowling on the first day at Lords was superb by the Pakistan team. Our batting line-up collapses easily anyway against far less lethal bowling than that so it was hardly likely to withstand that sort of quality for any length of time.

I have no expectations of the selectors taking any real risks that they won't be forced into, so I expect a mass of changes after we lose the Ashes.

Roy00;404177 said:
hi,

Hey mate.

Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests) - Page 10 - BigCricket
We've discussed it in there, but not that in depth.

Roy00;404177 said:

The Pakistan bowlers are brilliant, and I don't think the batsmen are that bad either. They are all very young so it will take a bit of time to get them working together. If the bowlers can stay in the form they showed now, with Gul leading the attack, they could have a very good team in the future.

Roy00;404177 said:

Ponting seems on the downward curve unfortunately, his ability is slowly seeping away. I think he'll score another couple of centuries before he retires (probably after the next Ashes is my prediction) but not really averaging more than 40 or so.

North is a strange one. He had a good season in the domestic comp, came into the side and packed on the centuries. Then all of a sudden he didn't score anymore. I think it's another case of a young batsman's (or new to the side in this case) technique being picked after a few games and them not knowing how to counter it. I think he will play the first Test against India, if he fails he will be out. This series will have almost everyone back to full strength so Ashes prep will be going full out in the space of two Tests. They want North to be scoring because it's getting a bit late to bodge in another number 6 this close to the big series. By then Hughes will be back so I'm presuming he will be back in as back-up batsman instead of Khwaja (I spell his name differently every time), and on Indian pitches he's shown he's pretty good in the IPL.

So if North goes one would presume Hughes is next in the line up, but where would you put him into the side with Watson and Katich opening? Would you put Watto at 6 or Hughes at 6?

Roy00;404177 said:

I said this on another thread, I think Johnson's worth a lot more than many think he is. He's been the only consistent bowler of late, with the exception of in England conditions, but everywhere else he's been good. I find it hard to believe that his efforts over the summer were forgotten over one series in conditions he doesn't like (every bowler has a country). Against the West Indies, Pakistan and New Zealand he was close to best most consistent bowler, so I'm not going with dropping him. Remember how fit he is as well, he is the only bowler that has managed to string more than two series together in a row.

I like the look of young George, could be one to look out for in the future, but I don't think just yet. I'm hesitant with young bowlers, I like bringing in young batsmen, but not bowlers. I would prefer to bring in somebody of above 25ish in all cases, unless they have strung together at least two good consistent series. You can never tell if a bowler will be good for an extended period of time unless they have played for an extended period of time.

This is why I don't like Siddle, because he was put in the team based on pretty much 5 games with the one 8 wicket haul as his major contribution. What happened next? He couldn't string together two good spells, let alone games or series. He went on to average 35 over a 2.5 series getting only small wickets (should have been 45 if it wasn't for a tail end 5fa that saved him). Then he got injured twice in a small space of time.

You have to make sure your bowlers will last the test of time by letting them bowl for 2-3 good and consistent seasons first.

I'm not a big Siddle fan TBH....but he's at least more consistent than Johnson

Johnson's inconsistency is a liability to the team....its just all around unsettling to the other players...its not good enough IMO...even Tait has more control over his action than Johnson

also...while I think Hughes was a little harshly dealt with on his last stint..I will say, I'm not sure i'd want to replace an inconsistent player with a loose technique with another of a similar ilk.....so perhaps i'd be leaning toward Khawaja (however its spelled).

I've been following cricket for 30 years and Test cricket is my passion. Poor results in this format is what cuts me the deepest. Perhaps we currently dont have the best pool of players in the world anymore, but be that as it may I dont think we're getting the best out of the pool that we have and I find that frustrating.

I think CA, Nielson, Ponting and Co. are process monkeys too afraid to make decisions based on information available and/or intuition, but rather consult their stupid templates, tick the boxes whatever...there is no room left for thought.

Roy00;404262 said:
I'm not a big Siddle fan TBH....but he's at least more consistent than Johnson

Johnson's inconsistency is a liability to the team....its just all around unsettling to the other players...its not good enough IMO...even Tait has more control over his action than Johnson

also...while I think Hughes was a little harshly dealt with on his last stint..I will say, I'm not sure i'd want to replace an inconsistent player with a loose technique with another of a similar ilk.....so perhaps i'd be leaning toward Khawaja (however its spelled).

I've been following cricket for 30 years and Test cricket is my passion. Poor results in this format is what cuts me the deepest. Perhaps we currently dont have the best pool of players in the world anymore, but be that as it may I dont think we're getting the best out of the pool that we have and I find that frustrating.

I think CA, Nielson, Ponting and Co. are process monkeys too afraid to make decisions based on information available and/or intuition, but rather consult their stupid templates, tick the boxes whatever...there is no room left for thought.

As they took Khawaja to England, I can't see them bringing in Hughes above him. And Hughes looks at sea against spin from what I have seen of him, so he can hardly come in at 6 against anyone. He would have to open.

However, Khawaja may not be much chop with spin either. I read somewhere that Katich was tying him in knots in the nets before the first test match against Pakistan. Punter would look at that very harshly, especially as he wants North around.

I'm starting to think that Nielsen really just doesn't have much in the way of brains. The stuff he comes out with after series, I wonder if he actually watches what goes on at all.

Boris;404252 said:
Hey mate.

Australia tours the British Isles (ODIs V Ire(1), Eng(5), v Pak(2 T20I, 2 Tests) - Page 10 - BigCricket
We've discussed it in there, but not that in depth.

The Pakistan bowlers are brilliant, and I don't think the batsmen are that bad either. They are all very young so it will take a bit of time to get them working together. If the bowlers can stay in the form they showed now, with Gul leading the attack, they could have a very good team in the future.

Ponting seems on the downward curve unfortunately, his ability is slowly seeping away. I think he'll score another couple of centuries before he retires (probably after the next Ashes is my prediction) but not really averaging more than 40 or so.

North is a strange one. He had a good season in the domestic comp, came into the side and packed on the centuries. Then all of a sudden he didn't score anymore. I think it's another case of a young batsman's (or new to the side in this case) technique being picked after a few games and them not knowing how to counter it. I think he will play the first Test against India, if he fails he will be out. This series will have almost everyone back to full strength so Ashes prep will be going full out in the space of two Tests. They want North to be scoring because it's getting a bit late to bodge in another number 6 this close to the big series. By then Hughes will be back so I'm presuming he will be back in as back-up batsman instead of Khwaja (I spell his name differently every time), and on Indian pitches he's shown he's pretty good in the IPL.

So if North goes one would presume Hughes is next in the line up, but where would you put him into the side with Watson and Katich opening? Would you put Watto at 6 or Hughes at 6?

I said this on another thread, I think Johnson's worth a lot more than many think he is. He's been the only consistent bowler of late, with the exception of in England conditions, but everywhere else he's been good. I find it hard to believe that his efforts over the summer were forgotten over one series in conditions he doesn't like (every bowler has a country). Against the West Indies, Pakistan and New Zealand he was close to best most consistent bowler, so I'm not going with dropping him. Remember how fit he is as well, he is the only bowler that has managed to string more than two series together in a row.

I like the look of young George, could be one to look out for in the future, but I don't think just yet. I'm hesitant with young bowlers, I like bringing in young batsmen, but not bowlers. I would prefer to bring in somebody of above 25ish in all cases, unless they have strung together at least two good consistent series. You can never tell if a bowler will be good for an extended period of time unless they have played for an extended period of time.

This is why I don't like Siddle, because he was put in the team based on pretty much 5 games with the one 8 wicket haul as his major contribution. What happened next? He couldn't string together two good spells, let alone games or series. He went on to average 35 over a 2.5 series getting only small wickets (should have been 45 if it wasn't for a tail end 5fa that saved him). Then he got injured twice in a small space of time.

You have to make sure your bowlers will last the test of time by letting them bowl for 2-3 good and consistent seasons first.

Pakistan are currently 8 for 50

Back