Peter Siddle named emerging player of the year! Plus other award winners

eddiesmith

Peter Siddle named emerging player of the year! Plus other award winners

Siddle named ICC Emerging Player of the Year
Cricinfo staff
October 1, 2009
Australian fast bowler Peter Siddle has won the Emerging Player of the Year award at the ICC Awards ceremony in Johannesburg. The 24-year-old, who played in 12 Test matches in the voting period, took 49 wickets with an average of 28.93 and made an impact playing for Australia side with his charging run-up and powerful delivery.

Siddle's best bowling figures in an innings during the voting period came against England when he took 5 for 21 in 9.5 overs in the fourth Ashes Test at Headingley. He had earlier taken another five-for, against South Africa in Sydney.

Siddle was the top choice for the 25-member voting academy, coming in ahead of team-mate Ben Hilfenhaus, England fast bowler Graham Onions and New Zealand opener Jesse Ryder.

Receiving his award from Rahul Dravid, Siddle said: "Getting to represent my country is an enormous honour and it has been a great time for me to be part of the team. It's been very enjoyable.

"I'm very pleased. It has been an amazing 12 months and part of it is down to the blokes I've been playing with. It is quite a young group, with Mitchell Johnson and Ben Hilfenhaus especially, we all keep each other going and we have all had a lot of success," he said.

The selection panel for the long list was made up of West Indies legend Clive Lloyd and included former India captain Anil Kumble, former England wicketkeeper Bob Taylor, former Pakistan opener Mudassar Nazar and former New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming.

That will upset some to see that its not only Victorians, Ponting and the Australian selectors but infact the whole world who sees that Siddle is actually a decent bowler :D

World Test Team of the Year: Gautam Gambhir (India), Andrew Strauss (England), AB de Villiers (South Africa), Sachin Tendulkar (India), Thilan Samaraweera (Sri Lanka), Michael Clarke (Australia), MS Dhoni (India, capt & wk), Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh), Mitchell Johnson (Australia), Stuart Broad (England), Dale Steyn (South Africa), Harbhajan Singh (India, 12th man)

World ODI team of the year: Virender Sehwag (Ind), Chris Gayle (WI), Kevin Pietersen (Eng), Tillakaratne Dilshan (SL), Yuvraj Singh (Ind), Martin Guptill (NZ), MS Dhoni (Ind, captain, WK), Andrew Flintoff (Eng), Nuwan Kulasekara (SL), Ajantha Mendis (SL), Umar Gul (Pak), 12th man: Thilan Thushara (SL)

Thats not bad, the ODI side includes players who have been injured or on strike for half the year

All Award Winners
ICC Player of the Year- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy Mitchell Johnson (AUS)
ODI Player of the Year- MS Dhoni (IND)
Test Player of the Year- Gautam Gambhir (IND)
Emerging Player of the Year- Peter Siddle (AUS)
Umpire of the Year- Aleem Dar (PAK) Shock of the year!
T20I Performance of the Year- Tillakaratne Dilshan (SRI) 96 (57) v West Indies T20 Championships Semi Final
Spirit of Cricket Award- New Zealand
Womens Player of the Year- Clare Taylor (ENG)
Associate Player of the Year- Will Porterfield (IRE)

Johnson and Gambhir scoop top awards | Cricket News | Cricinfo ICC Site | Cricinfo.com

Re: Peter Siddle named emerging player of the year! Plus other award winners

you guys are going to know what im going to say about siddle.

emerging player of the year because hes been given too many chances and if you are given those chances that others arent given, then obviously you are going to do better then them.

just because i dont like him doesnt mean hes not a good bowler. but as you said yourself eddie the world can see hes a decent bowler. not a good one, just decent.

hilfenhaus made more of a contribution to the aussie team then he has, so id be disappointed if i was him.

well done siddle, but i say a lot bigger well done to johnson. he really deserves this and should take everything he gets. the only thing i have against him is that he deserted the best team domestically to play for those people out west.

Well done to Siddle.
He had chances so he was bound to do ok... what a weak argument:rolleyes:. There are plenty of players out there who could get all the chances in the world and still be rubbish. Would Noffke or hopes or bollinger or braken done as well? NO! Siddle is part of the future of the Australian team, if you don't like him the that's too bad!

I'm just not going to comment any further on this topic.

Hilfenhaus had a better year than siddle.

Opened the attack took wickets, And was more consistent than siddle, more economical.

I thought hilfenhaus had a better year than siddle

Hard to say, Hilfenhaus was average against South Africa, lacked wicket taking balls. Siddle has been consistently taking wickets since the MCG test match.

Bennycoff;369660 said:
Hard to say, Hilfenhaus was average against South Africa, lacked wicket taking balls. Siddle has been consistently taking wickets since the MCG test match.

Correction... Siddle has been inconsistently taking wickets since then.

That is my only real beef with him really. He gets a five-for, then crap spells for the next game and a half, then a couple of good wickets, then a spell that he goes for a run a ball. Then he hits a guy in the head then gets tonked for six.

Lacks control completely.

Dont mind this Boris lad.

His good value. "Then he tonks a guy in the head". Classic.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;370987 said:
Dont mind this Boris lad.

His good value. "Then he tonks a guy in the head". Classic.

Well it's gotta be good for something. ;)

Boris;369732 said:
Correction... Siddle has been inconsistently taking wickets since then.

That is my only real beef with him really. He gets a five-for, then crap spells for the next game and a half, then a couple of good wickets, then a spell that he goes for a run a ball. Then he hits a guy in the head then gets tonked for six.

Lacks control completely.
If only he bowled like Brett Lee. :rolleyes:

Caesar;371089 said:
If only he bowled like Brett Lee. :rolleyes:

Once again a correction... if only he bowled like the old Brett Lee.

To sum up Lee's past few months:

Had a couple of good games in the IPL, with a couple of wickets of those games and good economy rates.

Got absolutely hammered by Chris Gayle. Not really his fault because it was Chris Gayle after all. He could hammer Warne and McGrath bowling at him at the same time. :p

Got two wickets and one wicket in a tour match with 3 rpo economy rates.

Got a five wickets and two wickets with 2 rpo economy in a tour match.

Got 2 and one wickets in a tour match, good economy.

Great series against England in ODIs, including a five for with economy rate of 3.6 rpo. Best bowler for Australia.

Champions Trophy was amazing, best bowler out of all countries, just ousting Siddle. Would have lost if it wasn't for him.

Champions League has been great, doing everything but getting into the All Stars team. Would have been very close though.

Try and make a list like that for Siddle of the same time period, without me making effective arguments against them. Remember many people were calling for his head in the Ashes, Johnson saved him with his bad form.

Look forward to having Siddle around for many years though. My bantering against him will stop when he notices he is playing for Australia and not for a random club. Just like Lee did not long ago, hopefully he won't take that long.

Back