Phil Hughes and Reselection

Re: Phil Hughes and Reselection

The Watson Effect
As the beginning of an Australian test series draws nearer, the probability of Shane Watson suffering a mid to long term injury approches 1

Nature will take care of it

Hahahahaha.

But on a serious note.

When and where do they add them back in?

In the Windies or do they let him play a few more First Class games to get his mojo back?

Boris;372687 said:
In the Windies or do they let him play a few more First Class games to get his mojo back?

Well.. he'll have to work harder for his runs playing FC this summer instead of the Windies.

Kram81;372696 said:
Well.. he'll have to work harder for his runs playing FC this summer instead of the Windies.

True, but you do have to notice that although the West Indies aren't at the best of strengths these days, they still are an international Test playing team, and even to play for Australia against them is an honour. To get that honour you must show your form domestically.

Saying that though, I would play him against the lesser side and let him get rid of his short ball trouble playing some of the better short ball bowlers in the world, the tall and fast West Indians.

Boris;372719 said:
Saying that though, I would play him against the lesser side and let him get rid of his short ball trouble playing some of the better short ball bowlers in the world, the tall and fast West Indians.
He's got a flaw in his technique that leaves him susceptible to short bowling. He was dropped in order to fix it. This has not yet happened.

Playing him against the West Indies is just going to exacerbate the problem. If he can't play the bouncers served up by English seamers on slow pitches, he'll get eaten alive here against the Windies.

I'm all for him being reselected, but there is a reason he was dropped that has not yet been addressed.

Caesar;373020 said:
He's got a flaw in his technique that leaves him susceptible to short bowling. He was dropped in order to fix it. This has not yet happened.

Playing him against the West Indies is just going to exacerbate the problem. If he can't play the bouncers served up by English seamers on slow pitches, he'll get eaten alive here against the Windies.

I'm all for him being reselected, but there is a reason he was dropped that has not yet been addressed.

Yep, that's completely correct.

The thing is everyone says that since the West Indian team isn't quite up to the standard they used to be, then it would be harder to score those runs against domestic sides, as I'm sure most States would have a good run at them. The question is does and can CA select him because it's an easier team? Not only would it be openly saying to the Windies that we will play easy teams against you because you aren't as good as us (arrogant, no?) but playing for Australia under any circumstance is an honour and the best team should be played at all times.

Anyway back on topic, you cannot play in the Aussie side if you have such an obvious weakness. If you cannot fix this weakness with some of the best cricketing coaches over 6 months then I'm not sure there is a way for him to get on top of it. He just has to leave the short balls and they will stop bowling them there.

His unorthodox technique would be an asset to the team if he has it working.

Biggest mistake Australia could make is re-selecting Hughes before he has completed his game (i.e. corrected his technicial deficiencies). He will face better bowling attacks playing for NSW than what he will playing for Australia this summer so it is at NSW that he should stay for the season unless there is a quantifiable difference in his approach/technique. I completely disagree that the problem will be West Indies seamers eating Hughes alive. Who are the intimidating prospects in their pace attack? The problem is that he will belt West Indan grade cricketers all around the place and not need to work on his technique because he wont be tested.

We can afford to leave Watson at the top of the order because we won't be facing much and he is not the long term prospect anyway.

Far too often a players career stats and performances are too heavily stacked against crap sides. These playes are hidden in good sides or the sheer weight of numbers has impressed most even though these players have been absent at the most crucial moments in their careers ( :cough: Brett Lee :cough: ). Hughes is in danger of becoming one of these players if his technique isn't fixed.

The West Indies bowlers have awesome short balls. I remember Lee getting a few hammered at him after he knocked a batsman out in the first innings last time round. I am predicting that despite the other flaws of the Windies bowlers, they will really not let back on a short ball problem, they will bowl it there all day until either he gets it or he gets out.

That isn't the ideal place for Hughes to fix his technique. Surely they must be working on the technical aspects behind the scenes with slow-mo video and such. I don't see how a flaw like his cannot be changed within the time he has had with the technology they have had. If the bowling coach can change the angle of Johnson's wrist by two degrees in a few weeks, surely they have someone that can tell Hughes to leave the short stuff alone. Anyway... my ramble of the day.

I haven't seen the squads the Windies are bringing, but i presume Fidel Edwards is playing and that kid is seriously quick. He served up some brutish short balls to KP earlier this year and he would be more then capable of taking that line of attack to Phil Hughes if Hughes if is indeed picked.

I dont think Watson is a viable long-term option as an opener, especially if he is fit enouhg to bowl consistently, which he wasn't in England.

In that sense the likely option is that Hussey will be dropped, Hughes reinstated , and Watson will take Husseys place in the middle order.

Any argument that Hussey was in form in the ODI's will likely be offset by the fact that the Ashes are a year away and we need to start planning for that. Hussey is likely to have a minimal influence on next years ashes series, because he likely wont be playing.

Hussey's only hope, reading between the lines, is that Clarke doesnt get up for the test, Hussey bats at 4, gets a ton and then goes on to do a Hayden post Ashes 2005.

Hayden looked gone for all money after the 2005 Ashes but somehow he found form, capping it off with a scintillating performance in the 2007 WC.

If he is going to get dropped I just hope people give him the proper respect he deserves.

There aren't many batsman that can play for 5 years, be out of form for 2 and have an average of 53. I remember the days he was related to Bradman, as all new batsman are if they look half as good in the media.

Anyway... random ramble for the day.

I don't think he should be playing in this series upcoming.

Mat 3 3 3
Inns 4 5 5
NO 0 0 1
Runs 297 181 191
HS 149 79 66
Ave 74.25 36.2 47.75
BF 460 301 339
SR 64.56 60.13 56.34
100 2 0 0
50 0 2 2
0s 0 1 0

Current stats for three Australia openers this season.
Who's who?
On stats (which I'll grant you are not everything) who should be playing if there is a change at the top of the Australian order?

Even if you're just looking at the stats, 4-5 innings is pretty small sample to draw any kind of conclusion. Not that I necessarily disagree over the player in question.

I agree the sample is small but to include previous performances runs the risk of the Hussey-ing the statistics.
:D

I'm guessing Hughes, Watson, Katich, without being able to recall any statistics.

Back