Player Points System Review

Bigfish

What do you guys think about the player points system?

On the surface it sounds like a good idea, but I think it needs to be better worded and some of the points further thought through. It does not sound like it was written by a lawyer (thank goodness), but it should be recognised that whoever put together the final copy had a huge effort on their hands to get it done and should be congratulated.

What do you guys think about these hypothetical situations?

An Englishman on a holiday could play cricket and be valued a 10 point player whether he can pick up a bat or not.

Could the President of a rich club pay Sachin Tendulkar to study crochet at Sunshine TAFE and then claim him as an overseas student? If that were the case would he be a 6 point player?

Option 'X' players entering via juniors. What happens if you're a junior player who filled in on a couple of Saturday afternoons during a couple of lower grade games at your club? Assuming your club's lower grades play in a VMCU 4 point association then what happens if you would progress to play 1sts that season?

Hypothetically, if one of your 5th XI players got themselves a game in the 1sts it would create an interesting predicament points wise. Say he's highest level of cricket was playing 6th XI in Bunbury in a lack lustre competition that is classed as a 5 point competition (Option 'N' such as all interstate suburban comps). There is no distinction whether he was a 1st XI player there or a 6th XI - its still 5 points. To make it even more ludicrous, what happens if he has been playing 5th XI at your club for 8 years? Surely common sense would dictate that his points should start coming down from his first appearance at your club and not his first 1stXI match. ie You could have some 45 year old hack filling in and still be getting charged 5 points. Player points should really be deducted from the moment a player arrives at a new club.

Also, players who leave a club only to return to the same club in the future should go back to their reduced points and not have to start reducing points again from scratch.

What happens if this season a player starts at a VTCA club, plays a couple of First XI Premier Cricket matches and then goes back to his VTCA club all in one season? Does we penalise him for wanting to play higher and force him to go back to his starting points?

Hopefully the rules can be tightened so that we don't one day find ourselves in the unenviable predicament of having clubs fighting over a Premiership in court. I say that in jest now, but some people if found in that situation would take it quite seriously I'm sure.

I think you have far too much time on your hands. The system has been a godsend and has cleaned up the he says/she says accusations and fighting amongst clubs to the point where everything is transparent and better policed. It is no surprise the DDCA and Premier Cricket have followed suit. Yes there are some anomolies like everything in life but it is pretty clear how it works.

What do you guys think about the player points system?

On the surface it sounds like a good idea, but I think it needs to be better worded and some of the points further thought through. It does not sound like it was written by a lawyer (thank goodness), but it should be recognised that whoever put together the final copy had a huge effort on their hands to get it done and should be congratulated.

What do you guys think about these hypothetical situations?

An Englishman on a holiday could play cricket and be valued a 10 point player whether he can pick up a bat or not.

Could the President of a rich club pay Sachin Tendulkar to study crochet at Sunshine TAFE and then claim him as an overseas student? If that were the case would he be a 6 point player?

Option 'X' players entering via juniors. What happens if you're a junior player who filled in on a couple of Saturday afternoons during a couple of lower grade games at your club? Assuming your club's lower grades play in a VMCU 4 point association then what happens if you would progress to play 1sts that season?

Hypothetically, if one of your 5th XI players got themselves a game in the 1sts it would create an interesting predicament points wise. Say he's highest level of cricket was playing 6th XI in Bunbury in a lack lustre competition that is classed as a 5 point competition (Option 'N' such as all interstate suburban comps). There is no distinction whether he was a 1st XI player there or a 6th XI - its still 5 points. To make it even more ludicrous, what happens if he has been playing 5th XI at your club for 8 years? Surely common sense would dictate that his points should start coming down from his first appearance at your club and not his first 1stXI match. ie You could have some 45 year old hack filling in and still be getting charged 5 points. Player points should really be deducted from the moment a player arrives at a new club.

Also, players who leave a club only to return to the same club in the future should go back to their reduced points and not have to start reducing points again from scratch.

What happens if this season a player starts at a VTCA club, plays a couple of First XI Premier Cricket matches and then goes back to his VTCA club all in one season? Does we penalise him for wanting to play higher and force him to go back to his starting points?

Hopefully the rules can be tightened so that we don't one day find ourselves in the unenviable predicament of having clubs fighting over a Premiership in court. I say that in jest now, but some people if found in that situation would take it quite seriously I'm sure.

all the situations you make have been covered by the new rules released this season. I think you need to look into it a bit better.

I think you have far too much time on your hands. The system has been a godsend and has cleaned up the he says/she says accusations and fighting amongst clubs to the point where everything is transparent and better policed. It is no surprise the DDCA and Premier Cricket have followed suit. Yes there are some anomolies like everything in life but it is pretty clear how it works.

Point is: there are ways around it!

Maybe when clubs feel that people do not fit a category properly there should be a mechanism that allows them a more appropriate points allocation? Maybe it should be left to club's to formally ask Russell to manually allocate the individual's points using a common sense approach?

I'm not answering the discussion, just posing questions...

the vtca have a points appeals process available. if clubs r not happy with points allocated to a player they can present evidence to show why an individual player should be reassessed. to expect russell to rate each player in the comp is impossible. if u take on a pom who aint up to it, dont pick him, just because they travel from o/s doesnt mean they r entitled to play in your 1sts.

the vtca have a points appeals process available. if clubs r not happy with points allocated to a player they can present evidence to show why an individual player should be reassessed. to expect russell to rate each player in the comp is impossible. if u take on a pom who aint up to it, dont pick him, just because they travel from o/s doesnt mean they r entitled to play in your 1sts.

Good points Jika Jika. As long as during the appeal discretion can be shown by the VTCA. I wouldn't expect Russell to rate each player, but maybe the ones that require VTCA discretion? I've heard that he is full of common sense. I was more thinking of clubs possessing 1st XIs in the lower grades having to worry about the Pom example.

Good points Jika Jika. As long as during the appeal discretion can be shown by the VTCA. I wouldn't expect Russell to rate each player, but maybe the ones that require VTCA discretion? I've heard that he is full of common sense. I was more thinking of clubs possessing 1st XIs in the lower grades having to worry about the Pom example.
my understanding is the appeals process is completely seperate and does not involve any member of the vtca exec/committee. Clubs can appeal any any points allocation they think is unfair

my understanding is the appeals process is completely seperate and does not involve any member of the vtca exec/committee. Clubs can appeal any any points allocation they think is unfair

That could be a useful tool for some clubs. Pre-season does not start for another week and a half. The season is a further 2 months away. I'm sure by that time we'd have seen the system put through it's paces.

Back